clipped ansipose fin?

How much do they clip on a hatchery fish? do they take the whole fin, or just a portion of it? I'm just curious. The one we got this week had it intact, but I never really looked for it before. Just curious so I can tell wild vs hatchery fish in the future.

It is done with a high speed assembly line-type machine, and some of the techs / biologists have stated a possible 30% "slip by" rate.

All the super heavyweights I saw last season were clipped, it makes sense because they get a fast start instead of scrounging. That being said, the true naturals have a better chance for "delayed maturity", leaving them out there for another year of growth.

They clip off the whole adipose fin.

I have saw some pretty crappy clip jobs over last season. Some were half clipped or a quarter clipped. Also don't forget, kings can regenerate an adipose fin according to the US Fish and Wildlife Service rep that was at the Sandy Creek Shootout last summer.

I've been stopped by the DEC and they have taken samples from the snouts of kings that have been clipped. They said there is a miniature magnet inserted and can give them information regarding the fishes history. They did state a 25-30% failure rate regarding the clipped fin. We had two that day that were not clipped.