Downriggers for Tracker V-17

I'm considering getting riggers for my 08' Tracker V-17. In addition to functionality I'm concerned about mounting options and positioning of the units. For those of you who have been in a boat like mine, the gunnels are a bit low and causes you to reach for the rods because of the side rod lockers. I don't think they could be mounted in the very back corners because it would be a tough reach. There are also the rear well and battery compartments back there. If it was successful I've atatched a photo so you can see the approximate layout.

I've been told to avoid a mount that spans the back of the boat because of access issues...

tracker_v17targasc.jpg

I had a similar issue when adding riggers to my boat. We have a 17ft V starcraft essentially the same boat. Our final decision was to mount the riggers ahead of the glass in the bow. The main reasoning for this was that we would be able to keep our eyes forward while trolling without having to constantly look back. If you have any questions shot me a PM!

I did a two by 10 across the back with big jon swivel bases attached to the board. I then did u bolts up through the wood and cleats. It made it very Easy and detachable if I ever wanted to fish with no riggers. Not sure where your cleats are located but hope that helps

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

As your boat is very similar to my Lund I'd recommend mounting a swivel base just in front of the step pad. Put a 6" riser to bring your riggers to a level that is user friendly. Go with a set of rear mount rod holders and your in. If you want I'll take some pics after it stops raining .....1"-2" forecast for the next day and a half

I would buy Bert's tracks with risers for the riggers. Then you can move them around and see where you like them. I mounted mine permanently just in front of the casting deck. With a rod holder a little behind it and one in front of it closer to the windshield for dipsey rods. I wished I would have bought the tracks so I could adjust.

I would mount a 2x10 across the gunnels. position it so you can kind of lean on it when you are playing a fish& rigging. , so you won't fall out of the boat.Maybe elevate it a bit. Wrap it w/ In/out carpet , then apply your riggers & rod holder. Did this on my first 17' boat. If you do it right you could make it so it is removable when you fish bass. What do you need to access while Salmon trolling back there?

I have a similar side cons 16 ' that I did the same thing with. I use it each fall for staging kings & do well w/ it. Ease & safety of rigging is paramount .

Traxtech does have great stuff, but i'm not sure my budget (or my wife) would allow such an expenditure... Its likley inevitable that i'll get a bigger boat in a few years so i hate to dump too much $$ into this one.

I bit the bullet and made up some aluminum mounts, for my 17 ft Tracker, and bolted them to the gunwales, for the Big Jons.

4 thumb screws remove them, with only the mount left.

I had Walker hand-crankers mounted to the very back.

You don't want them there. Giant PITFA.

Took the rear seat off the pedestal, and mounted an 18", 1/2" X 6" piece of aluminum to it, that I mounted 2 rod holders, and then milled 2, 5/8" slots to drop pliers into, without falling thru.

I mounted my swivel bases as close to the transom as possible. Had to leave enough room on the starboard side for the nav light though.

I never stand on the deck when setting them. That would be like trying to tie your shoes without bending your knees. Kneel on the casting deck to set them and you'll be fine.

If you mount them in the cockpit area, you'll run out of room when you add rod holders.

DSC03708.jpg

DSC03707.jpg

I mounted my swivel bases as close to the transom as possible. Had to leave enough room on the starboard side for the nav light though.

I never stand on the deck when setting them. That would be like trying to tie your shoes without bending your knees. Kneel on the casting deck to set them and you'll be fine.

If you mount them in the cockpit area, you'll run out of room when you add rod holders.

DSC03708.jpg

DSC03707.jpg

would not want to have the mounts on the transom if I only had 4" of boat to keep me from falling out... maybe you don't fish in any rough water but leaning over the back of the boat is a recipe for trouble.

DSC03708.jpg

DSC03707.jpg

We had riggers mounted back there once.

Mighty freakin' hairy when it was rough, but generally do not fish from our Tracker offshore, on the big "O".

We have a 22 ft. Islander for that, and even then, the boat will handle more than the fisherman tolerate.

08fb548c.jpg982a7c5b.jpg The thing about mounting ANYTHING is make sure it fits YOU and your boat.

That's about the same place I have mine mounted. Then I have tite-lok rod holders for dipseys where he has the plastic rod holders mounted ahead of the riggers. In a 17ft you really only have room to comfortably run 2 riggers and 2 dipseys. I just bought copper set-ups and otter boards. My boat is jammed with all of it in the water. It's almost too much. I usually don't even mess with the junk lines and just run the riggers and dipseys.

When I ran my 16' sea nymph I had the same thing as Trolling Keuka , Chinook 1981 it's pretty straight forward measure your beam cut your wood place it on your step pads. The glass should be reinforced there anyhow. Your mount could be blind (through the board) or a stud type (from under) depends on weather your going to remove it for other types of fishing. What ever you decide remember there's a fair amount of torque against the board so at a minimum us 3/8" hardware and while the notion to go with stainless is nice it's more brittle than regular steel. Use jam nuts the thought of losing the board with everything is NERVE RACKING ...

I have a Targa v 17 also .It sucks that the rails are so narrow .I mounted my riggers on the back triangle plate .I have swivel bases .Its a pita at times to set them ,I pull the "t" on the swivel bases and,while kneeling on back casting deck ,swing the riggers toward the front of boat .This way you don't have to lean off the back or to far over the side.I put the new blacks releases on this year .The ones that you can slide up 18", this makes it easier,as you can leave the ball,in the water .If you have questions or need pics p.m. me .I can send pics from my cell phone

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I have a Targa v 17 also .It sucks that the rails are so narrow .I mounted my riggers on the back triangle plate .I have swivel bases .Its a pita at times to set them ,I pull the "t" on the swivel bases and,while kneeling on back casting deck ,swing the riggers toward the front of boat .This way you don't have to lean off the back or to far over the side.I put the new blacks releases on this year .The ones that you can slide up 18", this makes it easier,as you can leave the ball,in the water .If you have questions or need pics p.m. me .I can send pics from my cell phone

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png