I run them off riggers and a thumper rod. You can run them behind divers BUT, the slow speeds + divers + fishing close to the bottom, is not worth the hassle IMO. I run my riggers until they hit bottom, bring them up one foot, let them settle for a minute, drop them to the bottom again, lift them one foot and then keep them within 3' of the bottom. On the thumper rod, I run the weigh 4' down from the 3 way so the cowbell and lure stay off the bottom if it bumps. Run them slow. 0.7 - 1.8 are the speed (at the ball) tolerance of most cowbells.

I guess I should go into a little more detail after GAMBLER post in case there is a mix-up or no understanding what I'm doing..... So to clear it up..............

I am using mono (30# test ) on the reel.......the side setting on the diver is 3 or more.....rod is high in rod holder not tipped to water surface..... I am trying to get as far away from the boat as I can..........with the small blades you can run faster.........I trail a spoon most times behind the cow-bell ( lake troll ) or a stickbait..........it works for browns mostly early in the season and some times late.......also have only used it on the finger lakes and Lake George ( lakers like it on George in early May ) but see no reason it would not work any where

i fish the small ones off a handline on a victrola....@ the bottom tailed by a sutton 44 custom rigged with a single fixed hook for less weeds and stronger hookup ratios....sometime rig a false setup of big bells maybe a string of three, 5 to 8 above the bottom set like a seth green on a three way, but no hooks up top and the little set tailed by the 44 @ the bottom gets verocious hits. :beer: