Michigan Stinger problems

Yup, their paint sux!!

Most of my Michigan stingers have paint issues, anything from just a few flakes gone to the whole spoon is just silver. I'd be willing to start a Michigan Stinger buy back program... They can buy back all my once painted spoons, for $6.00 a piece.

Now I know why that Tuxedo we ran on your boat last season had half the paint missing. I thought it was just from all the fish caught on it.

I'm not sure that we have many Stingers on the boat anymore. Once burnt, twice shy I guess. DW, NK, Savant, Moonshine and R&R comprise most of what we run.

They know about the problem with the paint. Several years ago I sent back a half dozen spoons to their main office explaining the problems we were having with them. And I did get a response, "if you don't like them, use something else".

That's a shame. Last year I compiled the data from the various "favorite spoons" threads here to give me an idea of what to shop for and it looks like 39% are theirs. I haven't bought that many yet so at least I can shift to brands that don't disintegrate.

Painting over a silver plate is a tricky business since silver oxidizes very quickly. Blanks are usually brass which polishes up very nicely but is soft and porous and retains oils, cleaning at this step is critical to remove these contaminants that will bleed through later and cause adhesion problems. Next a barrier layer of Nickel should be used to prevent the brass from migrating through the silver. The silver layer is usually pretty thin because of its' cost but it is the best metal choice to reflect any available light, it doesn't have to be shiny to reflect light but it attracts the buyer (not the fish) so that's why it's shiny. Finished silver plated spoons need to be packed with a desiccant to minimize moisture and oxidation during processing and shipping. To get the paint to stick to the shiny oxidized silver plate this surface needs to be modified with a quality primer or bead blast to increase the surface area for the paint to stick to. When painting one side of freshly plated spoon it is sometimes assumed that the surface is paint ready, it's not.

Worked in Kodak's finishing depts for years, field tested for NK and RR and they both had this problem a long time ago but not anymore.

Hope they figure it out soon while they still have customers.

Talked with a tackle store owner who told me he gets guys in all the time, they throw the spoons on the counter and scream at him how they are junk and then go over to the wall and grab more. Is it any wonder they paint them like this, it increases sales!!! I know your rep, good luck. If you are going to use them my advise is find a good clear coat that works and do all your new spoons with that. Otherwise buy from a company that you can call the owner, not a rep. There are plenty out there, BW

They know about the problem with the paint. Several years ago I sent back a half dozen spoons to their main office explaining the problems we were having with them. And I did get a response, "if you don't like them, use something else".

That would have frosted my figs right there.

Shame on them for that BS.

Jolly II wrote:

Yup, their paint sux!!

Most of my Michigan stingers have paint issues, anything from just a few flakes gone to the whole spoon is just silver. I'd be willing to start a Michigan Stinger buy back program... They can buy back all my once painted spoons, for $6.00 a piece.

Mortigan wrote:

Now I know why that Tuxedo we ran on your boat last season had half the paint missing. I thought it was just from all the fish caught on it.

I guess my secrets out... that's a decoy. It's suspose to impress costumers. LOL ;)

I have a suggestion. If you are a facebook account holder get on their page and post photos to their wall of the paint peeling off and complain. I htink then name of the page is Team Stinger. Then that way others see this. I personally havent had a problem yet with them. Maybe i have just been lucky.

worrior spoons are garanteed against paint falling off. i have'nt had a problem with nk, dw,contender,or yeck spoons. stinger are great sellers though. i tell people when they buy them that the paint is going to fall off. but they seem not to care. give the warrior spoons a try.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Mobile%20Device.png

you can crease an R&R spoon in half then smash it with a hammer and the paint will look the same and you cant scratch it off with your fingernail at the crease. Dave from R&R has it figured out. he powder coats them and bakes the finishes on. once there on there there on there. http://www.mytacklebox.com. support your local economy and buy quality products folks.

I was told by a reputable tackle shop that they paint and ship them so fast that sometimes they haven't completely cured. Idk...doesn't sound right to me. I've never had one wash off. They just chip really easily.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

You should try Warrior Spoons. I have been running them for years and never had a problem with paint coming off. We were there for the WHI and ran them all week. The only paint that came off was from fish swallowing them down to the gut.

If you want a great deal look at the link. ERABBIT posted on this thread's for overstocked Dws. I bought a bunch of these and just placed another order. At$2.99 apeice you cant beat them. Plus we had great luck here on cayuga this weekend with them. Placed a 5th in b division with a 42 nd spoon

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png