Furuno 620...Opinions? Help?

Just mounted a new one on my 18' Lund Alaskan with temp and speed paddle at the transducer.

Took it out on a local reservoir to test it out on Monday. Wasn't all that impressed. :(

Yes I still have to learn how to use it and adjust it but the owner's manual in my humble opinion leaves a lot to be desired. There is not a whole lot of explanation about what you are doing when you change settings. Went on line too and found the same depth of information on the Furuno web site.

When testing it out I didn't mark any "arches" for fish; just straight lines even though I knew I was over fish. I also don't think it was showing all that it should have been either in the way of fish.

Had no problem with it accurately reading the bottom at speed or at troll...that was fine.

Could not figure out how to get the speed and temp to show up in the dual or single windows either.

There was only a huge separate view that I could call up which took almost all of the room on the screen leaving only about a half inch of of what the fish finder was seeing on the right where I could see speed and temp. Is there a way to get the speed and temp to show on the screen any smaller and in different windows?

Pixel count also leaves a lot to be desired compared to the Lowrance and Humminbirds. I'm running an older Humminbird which gives a much sharper/clearer readout.

Any suggestions on how to tune this baby? Anyone out there running one and what are your feelings about it? I am going out again Friday armed with a little more information gleaned from the web site and manual....hope I feel better about my investment after another trial run.

I'm kinda thinking I bought a pig in a poke based on my first try out. Time and experience may change my mind but at this point any pointers, suggestions or how-to's would be appreciated.

I got the 620 and kind of like it for my Lake Ontario boat. I did not make any adjustments and leave it in auto mode and have no problems getting nice big arches. The only difference is that I use a Airmar bronze thru hall transducer. Maybe that is the difference? Good luck and I hope you find your answers!

I have used the 620 for the last few years, the machine is incredible. Which ducer did you get? I have the airmar triducer, and have no issues with seeing the arches, bottom or riggers. if you look through the manual you will find how to program it for the window you are asking for. I am at work, do not have the manual in front of me. Don't give up on it, the auto mode is good to very good, but once you get used to it, the manual mode is even better. You can call furuno, great service techs, and they can walk you through your problems. Good

luck, keep us posted.

Capt. Rich

Toad,...I have the same setup as you but took the paddle wheel off ( two screws) `cause I didn't need it. Like the others said, great unit and using it in auto mode works good. You can increase the gain even in auto. Play with that `till you start to see better fish returns and downrigger balls. Also the scroll speed is important .

I sat in my driveway and set my unit up as far as the information on the display I wanted.

( yes it will work in air also, 2' off the blacktop will display about 4' to 5' bottom because sound travels slower in air)

Take the book with you so you can fine the features you want while your fishing.

I'll post a screen shot tonight when I get home. Hang in there. You'll like the unit.

IMG_0519.jpg

The top of the screen shows the various settings at the time of this picture. Your book will tell what each means.

The speed indication is being picked up from my GPS.

Thanks for that screen shot stinger. :$ Mine didn't look anything like that.;(

I did want to play with it in my driveway before going out. The owners/installation manual for the transducer said to fire up the unit, turn the paddle wheel and make sure you could see the air temp readout to insure the transducer was working right. :$

However the the owners/installation manual for the 620 itself said not to fire the unit up unless the transducer was in the water because you could ruin the transducer! 8)

That is what I was just going to say, manual says do not fire up unit with ducer attached to unit out of water. Supposedly it could burn the ducer out, you could call Airmar and ask them directly. Would hate to see you burn one out so soon. Good Luck

Capt. Rich

I guess I've been pretty lucky. I've been running my units in my driveway since the late 80's to set up the screens and get a idea how the unit worked after I installed them. Eagles, Garmins & Furuno's. They work just fine, never had a `ducer problem and it saved me a lot of time dinking around once I was on the water,.....but that is me.

Tie a plastic bag full of water around your `ducer if that will make you feel better. ;)

My Furuno was on several times in the driveway to interface with two different autopilots and GPS's. I'm a little slow so the last thing I want to do is spend hours on the lake setting up a sonar.

Just mounted a new one on my 18' Lund Alaskan with temp and speed paddle at the transducer.

Took it out on a local reservoir to test it out on Monday. Wasn't all that impressed. :(

Yes I still have to learn how to use it and adjust it but the owner's manual in my humble opinion leaves a lot to be desired. There is not a whole lot of explanation about what you are doing when you change settings. Went on line too and found the same depth of information on the Furuno web site.

When testing it out I didn't mark any "arches" for fish; just straight lines even though I knew I was over fish. I also don't think it was showing all that it should have been either in the way of fish.

Had no problem with it accurately reading the bottom at speed or at troll...that was fine.

Could not figure out how to get the speed and temp to show up in the dual or single windows either.

There was only a huge separate view that I could call up which took almost all of the room on the screen leaving only about a half inch of of what the fish finder was seeing on the right where I could see speed and temp. Is there a way to get the speed and temp to show on the screen any smaller and in different windows?

Pixel count also leaves a lot to be desired compared to the Lowrance and Humminbirds. I'm running an older Humminbird which gives a much sharper/clearer readout.

Any suggestions on how to tune this baby? Anyone out there running one and what are your feelings about it? I am going out again Friday armed with a little more information gleaned from the web site and manual....hope I feel better about my investment after another trial run.

I'm kinda thinking I bought a pig in a poke based on my first try out. Time and experience may change my mind but at this point any pointers, suggestions or how-to's would be appreciated.

I'll buy that crappy Furuno off you to help you out.

Give you a good price too!

Depreciation is about 50% for used electronics plus another 25% cause it aint working right.

When do you want me to pick it up? :lol:

Glen

• 2 weeks later...

quote]

I'll buy that crappy Furuno off you to help you out.

Give you a good price too!

Depreciation is about 50% for used electronics plus another 25% cause it ain't working right.

When do you want me to pick it up? :lol:

Glen

Thanks Pal....and I bought it on your recommendation. :* Still can't figure out how to get the speed on temp to show on the basic screens without switching the entire display. The owners manual sucks. It tells you how to do things but doesn't tell you what those things will actually do for you. ;(

After the Memorial Day weekend when things calm down I be taking it out again and giving it another try....but I ain't happy with it at this point. ;(

I think I'd rather die from a flesh eating bacterium than sell to to at your discount. :rofl:

Sounds like one of those "You got to be smarter than the thing your working with" deals. :rofl:

I been on this board for alot longer than the 620 has been out and never read anything but great reviews on it.

That coupled with how much I love my old 582 is why I recommended it.

If you want to fire it up in the driveway, I'll come over and give you a hand setting it up as the controls are very similiar to my 582.

If not I can't do it until I get back from up north in a couple weeks and the back is healed up a bit.

I know on my 582 you can change all the digital information fields to display the information you want to see as well as the size of those fields and text. I used to always change it back and forth to display est time to arrival when I fished tournaments.

Until then don't get your pantys all in a bunch. :)

Glen

for speed and temp go to data screen and turn on data box 1 pick your options and set speed and temp source to own unless your using another source for that info.

Go to WPT : Off

WPT List

Data Box 1 : Off ----- turn to on

Data Box 2 : Off

Bearing : True

Wind Spd/Dir : True

Trip Source : Own

Temp Source : Own

Speed Source : Own

Make sure you have the mode set to fishing not cruising. Cruising setting will only show you bottom not fish or arches.

Just installed mine for the derby and was not happy for the 1st 2 days, but after reading the manual a FEW times I realized mine was set to cruising and not to mark fish. Now it'll mark fish up to 29 mph with very little clutter on the factory settings.

Also set mine up to show the little fish instead of arches. The ones with stripes are bigger... :rofl::rofl: Supposedly tells you the size of the fish also, but that is yet to be proven by me.

Didn't mark any bait on it, but in talking to others fishing the same area, no one was marking bait.

Hope this helps, but if it doesn't, I'll give you 50% of retail for it and won't subtract for depreciation :yes:

Good luck.

Jeff

for speed and temp go to data screen and turn on data box 1 pick your options and set speed and temp source to own unless your using another source for that info.

Go to WPT : Off

WPT List

Data Box 1 : Off ----- turn to on

Data Box 2 : Off

Bearing : True

Wind Spd/Dir : True

Trip Source : Own

Temp Source : Own

Speed Source : Own

Make sure you have the mode set to fishing not cruising. Cruising setting will only show you bottom not fish or arches.

Just installed mine for the derby and was not happy for the 1st 2 days, but after reading the manual a FEW times I realized mine was set to cruising and not to mark fish. Now it'll mark fish up to 29 mph with very little clutter on the factory settings.

Also set mine up to show the little fish instead of arches. The ones with stripes are bigger... :rofl::rofl: Supposedly tells you the size of the fish also, but that is yet to be proven by me.

Didn't mark any bait on it, but in talking to others fishing the same area, no one was marking bait.

Hope this helps, but if it doesn't, I'll give you 50% of retail for it and won't subtract for depreciation :yes:

Good luck.

Jeff

Excellent info Jeff. Thanks.

Actually I just got back from the Toads house and we have done just what you got here.

I got to admit I'm not crazy about that white box taking up screen space so Toad took a picture of it and is going to email Furuno to see if he can get the info displayed in the top portion or header of the screen.

I'm hopeing he can and if so we will post the info.

Thanks again.

Glen

Thanks Glen,

I feel the same about the box but haven't figured any way to make it smaller. We'll be on the boat for the next 3 days hopefully figure out some more features. Look forward to hearing what the company has to say - might be a minor adjustment thing. Did not try the data box 2 maybe its smaller or positioned somewhere else on the screen.

I did play with the gain adjustment when we weren't marking fish, but found the factory settings worked pretty well. Pretty sure he'll be happy with it very soon. The manual is kinda a pain in the rear...I'll probably have to read it 10 more times to get everything figured out.

Some of the alarm features seemed interesting, especially the temperature alarm...gonna have to work on that one. Maybe someone else with some more experience with the unit will chime in.

I only have 6 days on the water with mine but like it more each time out.

Jeff

Thanks Glen,

I feel the same about the box but haven't figured any way to make it smaller. We'll be on the boat for the next 3 days hopefully figure out some more features. Look forward to hearing what the company has to say - might be a minor adjustment thing. Did not try the data box 2 maybe its smaller or positioned somewhere else on the screen.

I did play with the gain adjustment when we weren't marking fish, but found the factory settings worked pretty well. Pretty sure he'll be happy with it very soon. The manual is kinda a pain in the rear...I'll probably have to read it 10 more times to get everything figured out.

Some of the alarm features seemed interesting, especially the temperature alarm...gonna have to work on that one. Maybe someone else with some more experience with the unit will chime in.

I only have 6 days on the water with mine but like it more each time out.

Jeff

I'm pretty sure we had it on data 2 when I left.

Didn't seem to make any difference.

Pretty sure Toad will be happy with it after he uses it a bit.

Although he is kinda an anal old bastard. :rofl:

Good luck in the coming days.

Glen

Got a response back from Furuno yesterday. I have to admit their support and customer service is top of the line.

Unfortunately the size of the box that shows speed and temp or other date cannot be down sized or moved. It is what it is.

I think I will make mine smaller by just having it show the temperature. Yesterday my GPS speed was showing 18 MPH which is my top end with three guys in the boat. Paddle wheel on the transducer was reading 12.5. :( .....so I don't think I'll be using the speed reading on this wonderful unit. 8)

Still not getting fish arches as of yesterday.....just blobs. :no:

I can and feel the quality of this Furuno 620 and I know it is well put together and will last a long time. I however at this point cannot recommend this unit. My suggestion would be to bite the bullet and buy a higher end Furuno with better features, better resolution and ability to customize more.

The resolution (pixel count) and features on this 620 is equivalent to a $200 lower end Humminbird or Lowrance.