Cayuga Lake Slip cost

Is anyone willing to give me some information about slips on Cayuga Lake?

I am looking at getting a 20 to 24 foot boat and leaving it at the lake.

I have no idea what a slip costs or if it is even a good idea to leave the boat in the water all the time.

Any advice would be most welcome as I am hoping to avoid rookie mistakes.

Up to now i have been going with just a small 14' boat but I want to get a big one with downriggers and planner mast so I can go after the deep trout.

I have heard some people just leave their boat on the trailer and leave the whole rig on rented land. That won't work for me as I do not intend to get a large truck to pull the boat in and out.

Any advice? And what are approx costs?

Thank you in advance.

North end call Frontenac Harbor Marina 315-889-5532. I had a slip there last year it cost me around $900 for my 22'. It is a nice place, you have about a 5-10 min cruise to deeper water . Not sure about the south end. Maybe someone else will chime in about the South end.

Finger lakes marina on the south side of myers cost me about $1000 for a slip with water and electric. I have a 23 ft boat. If memory serves me she charged a flat $100 to keep the trailer on site. I think winter fees were around $1000 for storage

/winterizing and shrink wrap.

I personally liked the marina for it's location but the amenities were non existent.

I like the northern end near frontenac as previously stated. You can hammer perch and bass when your not trolling. Also it is close to boat acccessible wineries and good eating via the boat as well. Minutes away from the canal system if you want to take a cruise up the locks too. 20 minutes from bass pro is nice . Nas well. No where near as much boating, skiing, tubing and jet skiis on the north end compared to the south end in my opinion. The only thing I think the south end has over the north end is the early spring fishery for trolling is usually better. Skip a step and go troll Ontario for a weekend. You will forget about the Cayuga trout. lol That is exactly what I did. Love Cayuga but I lost interest in trolling it except for when my boy takes me out in his rig. Good luck

Thanks so much for the information guys.

I have a couple more questions if you don't mind.

Is there decent trolling oportunties at the north end if i am mainly after trout/salmon?

I have always thought the best trolling was down in the southern third of the lake.

Do your boats stay right in the water, docked up all summer?

You don't worry about the waves smashing the boat against the dock? Is it protected from the waves?

Is there decent trolling oportunties at the north end if i am mainly after trout/salmon? Yes once you get south enough to get to the deep water. Probably only a mile or two depending on where you rent a slip. South end is better in the spring but North Central is pretty much as good the rest of the year. North might even be a little better in late Summer or early Fall.

I have always thought the best trolling was down in the southern third of the lake. Depends who you talk to. Guys like me that fish the Deans Cove to Sheldarke Point to Long Point are might beg to differ. ...not to mention the silo's at the very north end...

Do your boats stay right in the water, docked up all summer? Yes.

You don't worry about the waves smashing the boat against the dock? Is it protected from the waves? No problem. Most of the marinas on the East side on the north end are VERY protected. ....and figure about $1000.00 or so for the season.

P.S. Also, a huge benefit of the North end is the Bass and Pickerel fishing. If you get a newbie that needs to land a fish you can troll stickbaits in the north end and slam Pickerel pretty much one after another.

Thanks for the info Wayne.

I am trying to make my mind up as to where to look for a slip and if i should "slip" a boat. The responses are surely going to help.

Do any of you guys sleep on your boats? While it is anchored? At the dock?

I second what Stoutner said about the North end. I almost always fish up north.

I have slept on my boat at Frontenac, very comfortable with good facilities.

It is also protected from the waves very well. That being said I opted to trailer my boat this year.