Can you use 500 ft of wire with strong backing?

I was wondering if 500ft of wire with some strong backing would work for a dipsy rig? If so, what would you suggest for backing and how much? Also, what knot would be the best to attach the backing to the wire? I know putting 1000' ft on a reel is probably the best but I would like to be able to make 2 rigs if possible, since I am just starting out. As always, all info is appreciated

Screamin' Reels,

DJ

I would recommend using 50 lb power pro backing but you could buy another roll of wire for the price it cost. I strongly recommend buying another spool of wire. Torpedo 30# runs $33 for a spool of 1000'. It will last for years. The big game mono is the cheaper route and will work. Use an Albright knot to connect the 2 together.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

I split a spool of torpedo 19 strand and used powerpro as a backer. Combined the two with a nail knot. I had the power pro already and the 1000' spool of 19 strand was $50. Two rigs spooled for $50 sounded better since I spent a ton on equipment this year.

I found some inexpensive 40# braid on Ebay called PEX. 1/2 price of PWR PRO to your door.The salt water guys use it. 40# is the same Dia as 50# PWR PRO. The salt water guys only complaint was color fade. Since the backing will rarely see water or UV I bought it for backing on 2 300 copper outfits. Won't know how it holds up for a few years. I have faith that it can withstand the abraision of being crushed under wire but I can't say that about mono. That would be a hard life for mono under wire. But thats just an opinion. The 1st diver/snub/SD/Fly will cover the $ of a 1000ft roll.

Idk bud...I think in this sport open your wallet and do it right the first time. Otherwise you will eventually and you wasted your money on the half ass stuff the first time. I learned this lesson already. No real short cuts can be taken.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

I would suggest just using the 50# power pro instead of wire you will get nearly the same performance out to 200'. If you are fishing them deeper than that put 1000' on them. OR..............put 1000' of wire on one and power pro on the other. I ran one of each for two years and found them to be equally efficaious. The power pro set up is more versatile because you can easily run a slide diver on it for high fish if you wish. Problem is I paid more for power pro than I did wire last time I filled them up (2009).

Bazooka Joe hit the nail on the head. In an effort to spend less, you will spend more. Another issue you haven't thought about is "saw offs". When an outdown fish shoots under that wire, it will not cut it. If a sizzler King runs across other backing, especially mono, you will lose what wire you have on there, AND your diver and tackle.

One way to be thrifty is to reverse spool your wire on to another reel one time before scrapping it. this will extend the life of your investment. Any kinks or broken strands, cut it before you have a heart break.