Copper off Outriggers

Guys - I would like to run coppers off the small boat without being down the shoot or having to deploy big boards ( not a fan of inlines!!) . Has anyone been running their coppers off outriggers and if so what are the pitfalls??

Thx

Guys - I would like to run coppers off the small boat without being down the shoot or having to deploy big boards ( not a fan of inlines!!) . Has anyone been running their coppers off outriggers and if so what are the pitfalls??

Thx

Only pitfall I know of is distance from side of boat? I've used Aftco roller releases, but prefer a fresh #16 rubberband. Sure beats down the shoot, but fiesty fish still get over there and in it sometimes!

I troll copper off 15 foot taco outriggers on the T top. It gives me about 35 feet of separation. I have just run the 600 copper out over the clip release at any length I want and it gave me some control over the length to change it if needed by simply letting more copper out and not having to release the clip. The drawback to that was having to set the drag tighter to keep line from dragging out and caused some pretty violent slack tension on a hit. almost rips off the rod holder. The copper seemed to wear ok being run over the clip but I would use a copper of the length you want to deploy and loop the backing around the release clip, run the copper to the knot at the water. I set my outriggers up and back a little to provide some clearance for other sets of out downs and dipsy wires.

I am going to borrow a method from saltwater tourny fishing by using a "tag line" and see if that will reduce the angle of the rod line to the end of the rigger, thereby reducing the slack takeup on a hit and get a more solid hookup. It is a cord with a release clip on one end and a heavy metal ring like a carabiner on the other. The cord is about 4 feet in length and drops the copper back a little more behind the boat reducing the angle to the rod. It also has the advantage of being able to ride on the halyards of the riggers by simply clipping the metal ring around the halyard and then sliding out to the end of the rigger with the pull from the copper and lure in the water while trolling. This eliminates the need to "clothesline" the release back and forth on the halyards. When a fish strikes, the tag line will release the copper and then slide back down the halyard to the boat, ready to be employed again in the same manner very quickly. The only thing I'm concerned about with the tag line idea is what it will do when the tension suddenly snaps the tag line back on a release from a hit. I think it might slingshot and possibly get tangled on the rigger pole. Not sure but worth a try.

one thing about useing dipsy with those coppers is that they should be set less than #2 plane and kept under 200 feet, other wise risk of tangles become greater on wide and long dipsey sets.

Mark