Oswego wasn't working but Oneida produced this sight.

Fishing Report

Your Name / Boat Name:Betty Jean

==============

TRIP OVERVIEW

==============

Date(s):5/13/12

Time on Water:6:00-12:00

Weather/Temp:Calm/Sunny

Wind Speed/Direction:

Waves:None

Surface Temp:

LAT/LONG (GPS Cords):

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits: 4

Total Boated:4

Species Breakdown:2 walley 2 pike

Hot Lure:

Trolling Speed:

Down Speed:

Boat Depth:

Lure Depth:

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Hey all, I couldn't catch in anything in Oswego this weekend. We fished 14 hours Friday and Satuday and we only caught 1 King and 1 Steelie. So Sunday morning my cousin and I went to Oneida Lake for some Walleye and saw this freaky thing. I hope these pictures post the right way. I've seen pictures like these on the internet but never in real life. This was about a 37" Pike that had a 24" sheepshead in it. It probably happened last night. We saw it floating as we were jigging for Walleye and had to check it out. It ate itself to death!!! For a fish that lng it was remarkably skinny doen by its tail. Must have been dyin for a meal...haha.

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

My buddy caught a deformed Northern like that in Green Bay a few years ago. If the body size matched the head size it would have weighed 20 pounds. As it was, it was probably about 7 or 8!! Weird looking

guess thats how they earned the name snake, they need to learn how to unhinge the jaw more, wonder if he was thin before he ate it or if it caused him to be thin (stuck in there for a while. Last year i caught a largemouth that was super super thin, had mono comin out his you know, so i tried to remove it pulled out a sinker and hook that was corroded straight (missing the bend), hope he made it. But it did tell me they can spend alot of time without eating and losing weight if in a situation like that. About 10 years ago we found two pike floating, both were the same size about 28 inches, one had tried to eat the other and the pike went through his gills so they were in a X shape crossed at the heads, thank goodness muskies dont do that or theyed be extinct.

I don't think it had been lodged in his throat for long. Both the Northern and the Drum were pretty fresh. Not much decomposition on either of them. It was strange looking for sure. I would agree that if the body was proportional to the head it probably would have weighed close to 17 or 18lbs. it wasn't quite 40" and I usually use 40" as the benchmark for a 20# Pike. I know this is a Lake O forum but the Walleye fishing on Oneida has been bonkers so far. But its back to the big lake Saturday for the BT Derby out of Mexico.

Great photo to add to the unusual fish archive... I think, at least with esox members, this happens more often than you'd believe. Just makes U a little nervous about swimming in waters like Great Sacandaga or in Europe where those BIG guys lurk :o !