Airmar B60 Thru-hull

thompsm7

I had Krenzer Marine in Sodus Point install an Airmar B60 thru-hull transducer. I'm running a Humminbird 957c and the improvement over OEM transom mount 'ducer is fantastic. I'm able to run 30 mph and still have no turbulence interference whatsoever. I was even able to mark fish when running 10 mph, which is a remarkable improvement... Overall, I'm very impressed with the B60's performance and happy with the upgrade.

Thanks to Billy V and Crazy Yankee for their advice.... My Humminbird/Airmar setup is working beautifully!

What HB unit do you have? I installed a B60 and using it for the first time last weekend in Mexico Bay was not impressed. My 778C HD unit of course does not have the 50kHz setting so I can only use it on 200. But it showed a lot of clutter between 60 and 80 ft when I was in 150 ft. of water or less. In deeper water the screen was clear, showing only the occasional fish marks. I tried adjusting sensitivity and everything else I could think of and it didn't change. In the local lake it worked fine although it did mark a lot of fish which wasn't totally believeable. But it didn't have the screen clutter. I hate to upgrade my unit as I would have to totally rearrange my dash setup to use a larger FF unit.

High Bidder

High Bidder - I am running a Humminbird 957c, which has similar output power as 1157c (1000w RMS if running the right 'ducer). I was unable to ever get my transom mount 'ducer to produce any picture above about 2.5-3mph. I replaced my engine plugs/plug wires and re-routed my 'ducer cable to prevent electrical noise but no luck. Getting away from the transom seemed to be the key, because I can run wide open without much more than a few random spots which could actually be bait fish. I think you'll need the 50Hz capability to really see many fish because the 200Hz cone is 12 degrees, while the 50Hz cone is 45 degrees. You'll have a much wider swath with the 50Hz cone and see a lot more like your downriggers.