Colourful Laker?

Laker or not  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Laker or not

• Laker
    • Splake
    • Something else

hey everyone yesterday was out on the lake at grimsby pulled up a bunch of lakers, but this one was far more colorful, didnt know if it was just an older male with spawing colors in spring? or is it like a splake or something, the dots are more circular than the others it was darker reddish and had beautiful white fin edges. havent really seen any like this yet, more experiece needed, can someone give me a lesson in this. thanks Adam

image_2.jpg

image.jpg

image_3.jpg

I have caught a couple over the years that colorful. I would think it is from laying tight to the bottom. They also color up like that when they spawn in the fall.

Not sure how it could have gotten here, but that first one really kind of looks like a Lake Superior Redfin strain Laker.

This is an example of a redfin that I copied from a Lake Superior Charters Website. They jig for these bad boys at Stannard Rock.

loadpic.php?picid=427

I believe the feds have been experimenting with different strains of laker lately, but I wasn't aware that redfins were one of them.

Tim

hey everyone yesterday was out on the lake at grimsby pulled up a bunch of lakers, but this one was far more colorful, didnt know if it was just an older male with spawing colors in spring? or is it like a splake or something, the dots are more circular than the others it was darker reddish and had beautiful white fin edges. havent really seen any like this yet, more experiece needed, can someone give me a lesson in this. thanks Adam

image_2.jpg

image.jpg

image_3.jpg

Here is a laker I caught in AK for comparison. Very similar. This was also caught in the spring, not sure if that makes any difference or not.

laker.jpg

Here is one out of the same lake but off the spawning beds in the fall.

DSCN2791.jpg

Go figure.