Fishing for Browns on Sunny Days

We fished last Saturday off Oswego for browns. The sun was up quick and it was bright very early. The water had plenty of color, but inshore fishing for browns was pretty slow. We ran a big spread between 30 and 50 FOW. I have limited time to head up to the lake (at most 2 saturdays per month). Am I better off going after something else on a picture perfect day? I experienced this a few times last year, where the fishing became extremely tough as early as 8 a.m even in colored water. Frankly i'd prefer to fish on cloudy and cooler days anyway.

The inside brown trout fishing is a very consistent fishery, but I have found the good brown trout fishing to dwindle after 8 or 9 am on most days. On the other hand, some of my best king salmon fishing has occurred after 10 am. A good game plan would be to take advantage of the early morning brown trout fishing for fast action and then move offshore between 8 -9 am as that fishing slows. Again, some days it can last all day. Two weeks ago on a calm/sunny day we still had browns firing at noon when we left.

Saturday I fished off catfish to Scriba from 6:30 until 9:30. We banged 2 browns by 7:00 off the dipseys in 40 FOW and didn't move a rod until almost 12:30 and got into a pod of feeding salmon in 150 FOW and we had a double and 2 more kings between 12:30 and 1:00. It seemed when that sun got high on Saturday the browns just shut right down. I ran 4 and 6 color LC off the back with sticks and spoons even and didn't get a rip when we fished for browns. Not sure if you have Planers they tend to work for me when the some come out, I just didn't feel right using them on Saturday.

Yeah we ran lines off big boards on Saturday, about 75' from the boat. We got 1 small brown...didn't know it was there til we pulled in the dipsy. My confidence factor was pretty low, especially since most of the salmon i marked were well below the depth i could reach.

As my dad says: Thats why they call it fishing, not catching.