Leads off downrigger ball

Is there any science as to the lead off the downrigger ball? Do you go short or long? Do you change when you run flashers vs spoons? I got schooled Sunday off Sodus running spoons 10' off my Sharks, but found that lead to work well on staging kings in summer off Henderson Harbor. I was just curious if there was any science or just personal preference.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Every day is different. Follow what Bazookajoe said but be willing to change if things are not working. Some days, long leads will get fish that are boat shy (deep or shallow) into biting.

Your lead behind the ball can be very critical for a successful day. I always start with a 6-8 ft. lead at first light, then will lengthen it out slightly(10-12 ft) if, or when, my original setup stops firing. Later in the morning(8:00-9:00), I'll increase them to 15-20 ft., then 25-50 ft. for high noon. But if I see streakers coming to the ball, I'll shorten back up, sometimes as close as 4-6 ft. When you see streakers, they're attracted by the commotion of your cannonball, so I make sure they're not disappointed, & offer them a snack. If your running a long lead, they're on their way back down by the time your bait gets to them. Generally speaking, this setup has worked very well for me. But as we all know, Salmon can be very finicky, so if something isn't working, I'll make adjustments, & hopefully find a length that produces.

Great feedback guys.... I like the rule of 100 feet as a guideline. Also, seems like stained water you can shorten the leads up, and in gin-clear water stretch them out. Does anyone have any preference on flasher/fly vs. spoon?

a basic rule is the rule of 100. 20 ft of water, let out 80ft of line, 50 ft of water, let out 50ft of line, 75 ft of water, let out 25ft of line and so on.....

I like this rule down to about 40' after that I choke them up. Spoons 8 - 12', flashers about 25'. Change if needed. What Ray said about it being a science is exactly right and the part of science that it is ........................experiment!!!