Conesus Lake May 11 - 14

Hi LOU-skies,

Had a fantastic birthday weekend with the family the last couple days as we rented a cottage on Conesus for family esox fun ;)Special thanks to the wife for setting that all up. The fishing and weather cooperated nicely and made for a very memorable 30th!

Started the trip with water temps at 52.5 (slightly warmer on the north and south basins) and ended the trip with water temps at 58! Had a nice bite going every day we were there with lots of smaller pike mixed in with some smallmouths, largemouths and even the occasional walleye. Took me a day or two to figure out that wanted a smaller (5" or smaller with spoons working good) presentation. My big lures got the attention of the fish (many follows) but nothing willing to bite. After my father pulled out the old trusty Evil Eye heavy caster, we started to put a good pattern together. Best lures on the trip were Evil Eye Heavycasters, Mepps Cyclopes, Lunge Lumber 6" (white & perch) and Phantom glide baits.

We ended the trip with several pike over 35" and a Tiger musky at 35". We had a couple more tigers but they were all smaller guys mixed in with the smaller pike. Here some pics!

ab48e052.jpg

5dd4f348.jpg

fe2fc0b7.jpg

053292b2.jpg

8b4ae2c4.jpg

de43a0ce.jpg

2aa8cef8.jpg

acf48dfc.jpg

fe7861d9.jpg

4e0404e0.jpg

5a54824e.jpg

(yeah.... I was working the bait SLOW ENOUGH for BULLHEAD to hit it!!!)

a951ee16.jpg

This photo doesn't capture how LOUD my wife was screaming when she hooked the fish and got in the boat. A very proud moment for her! She lost another good fish earlier as well that I would have loved to have at least seen before it went deep and screamed off a bunch of line and threw the hook...

7e052111.jpg

83a3e62c.jpg

Pike & Tiger population is in good shape for this lake's future!

478551ed.jpg

Bait fish size (look close - it's pretty small). Schools of these baits would boil on the surface in the mornings and you would see tigers/pike crashing through it - pretty cool to watch!

I'd expect over the next week or two as the water temps crack that 60 degree mark on the lake for the fish to start responding to larger baits. We fished all over the lake from south to the middle bays to the north end flats and had had fish everywhere. Great time - biggest pike of the trip was 38" and biggest tiger was 35". Hope to get out there and do it all over again soon!

Cheers :beer: ,

Chad

By the way Tom (tcon) - I have the exact same 24v Minn Kota ipilot trolling motor and charged it once before we left on the trip Friday and ran it HARD for 4 days straights and it still showed 50% by the end of the trip - very impressive! You will love that trolling motor..... makes a huge difference. I use auto pilot and spot lock religiously out there to keep us right on the good water.

Awesome report Chad, I am really happy with the motor...usually you kind of set yourself up for some sort of likes and dislikes..atleast I do :lol: and man I can't say enough good about it. It is going to make trolling in the wind and boat control effort less now all I have to do is add another day on the week so I have some free time. You suppose we could get that passed like the 3 rod rule :clap: hmmm Sat. Sun. Mon. Fishday Teus......... :rofl:

Tom

Chad AWESOME REPORT & PICTURES.

Glad you had a great time. That has to be over 100 fish you & Smokin Joe & MORE SMOKEM Larry caught in last 2 weekends ! Call when Joe is up again & you have time to run some "practice assaults" with us again.

Unkel Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Had a great time and we released all fish we caught....... the weekend is looking really nice and my guess is that the water temps will break 60 there soon enough. So get out there!!! :yes::yes: