Anybody notice?

Anybody notice:

1. The number of Kings going arial this year? I think we had at least five jumpers so far. Normally those guys dig for the bottom.

2. Where you're catching lakers? Ours have come off the surface this year.

3. Where the steelhead are? Very few reports this year. I've only seen two & they were little guys.

4. The number of Browns with Lamprey scars?

?????????

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Haven't fished Browns much this Spring, but there is an alarming amount of small lamprey/and or wounds on the Kings.

As for the Steelhead, if you were to design a Spring to make it difficult to "fence up" the Steel, this would be it. They are scattered in that fertile top 10' for MILES. Enjoying that surface water loaded with immeasureable numbers of emeralds and insects, they are preparing to ruin your quiet day soon!

The Kings seem to get stronger every season, and the toughest ones to land are those 5-14lbers, which are beserk and seem to love coming at the boat and trying to weave up your other rigs. I bet you are enjoying that 3rd rod this season, Tom!

I have fished for browns maybe 10 times and didnt notice many wounds,only on a couple larger fish. We fished Wilson this past weekend and did see a number of small ones on the salmon. I do believe the steel will come to play soon,we were chasing bug filled slicks on mothers day but couldnt turn one!

The lampreys in the last, say 7 years seem to have found where they winter over. Meaning in my mind that where ever the big browns wallow in the winter, lets say in 120ft on the bottom is where the lampreys sneak up on them and latch on. They then stay on for the meal until the browns scratch them off in the shallows. There has always been plenty of snakes around, but have never seen so many hits on the big browns as in the last 7 or so years. I totally agree with vinny on the electrics (steelheads) about the prime water everywhere. A light north wind for a couple of days would change things here for sure. It would be nice to get a better handle on the lampreys.

We came up to the west end for the spring derby and had 6 kings with lamprey's on them. I didn't see that many all last year. We only caught 1 brown and it was clean. Only 2 steelys and they were 2 to 4 lbs. And the lakers we caught were all over the water column but we did take 2 on a flatlined thunderstick.

Oh yeah the kings in the air and racing the boat. One made a real mess of our 300 copper and a wire diver, I think he actually fused the wire to the copper. He made 4 or 5 steely type leaps before deciding to run at the boat and cross every line out. Thought we had a derby winning steely but turned out to be a 13-14lb king.