Seneca looking for some tips and pointers

I have been spending alot of time out and seneca and it seems to be hit or miss for me. I have my days when I boat 10 or more fish, then the days when i don't get a damn thing... I have down riggers, dipsys, planer boards, spin doctors, flies, an assortment of spoons and just started using a jug rig. I experiment and try what I know but I would like some advice or tips so that I could be a little more consistent. I try different depths, speeds, areas and setups that I know. Thank you!

Make sure you run lures that will run at the same speed. Cowbells,suttons.are slow lures, Spin doctors, nk,stinger,dw spoons are fast troll. We always start with several colors to find which one is better for that day. Keep changing untill you find what works. Bait can be key and they are on the move. Watch water color, temp change, wind, sun. We will start in shallow water at first light and move deeper as the sun gets higher in the sky. As you troll change things. You can troll for hrs. with no fish and increase speed by .2 mph and start catching fish. Wes

Try posting a fishing report of what you did makes it easier for us to second guess ya..... :lol: ...... Hot and Cold days are just the way Seneca can be ........I've trolled for 5 hours before working my butt off chaging things out differnt areas all the time then WHAM in the next 1.5 hours or so it was nonstop.........

Well, Seneca..... I can tell you thats why cayuga guys do not fish it! Its too challenging :P We all have rough days. Seneca can be an unforgiving........ :o .

Right now, fishing on Seneca is tougher than any time of the year. We are waiting for the temperatures to set up. Its working its way there. The bait is on the move and so are the fish. We all have our normal stomping ground on Seneca aka "honey holes". I slip in Watkins Glen so that narrows it down for ya. Chances are you will find me on the west side of the lake. West is best East is least.... I fish the middle of the lake once summer hits full throttle. I will start with a down and out pattern every time out. I run a 13-15 rod spread. Im fortuante for the width of my boat. We run 3 riggers, 4 dipsys, 3 coppers, 3 leadcores. The coppers/cores are off Church Inline boards. The riggers, we fish temperatures when they finally show. RIght now, chances are you can get slamon flat lining, and get them down 135 foot on riggers/ divers. This makes it tough to reallt target fish, unless you fish in close to shore for the fiesty browns. Our dipsys, we run spoons on 2 and flasher flies on the other. Flashers we run deep on magnums, out 220-280 The fish tell us what they want generally, the go to all summer is around 260 for me. The spoon dipsy I am runnin a 001 dipsy on wire out 175-250 as well. This rod pulls quite a few bows.. I can tell you that i run all light spoons for the most part, DW, MS... My favorite rods all summer are the 300 copper and the 12 color core. I run ball speed 2.2-2.5 mph. Some guysthink I run too fast. Let them think that as I can produce some fish. I try to avoid getting toom many lakers, as I like clients to see a fish that gives a bit of a show. The lakers just thump.. You can always give us a shout if youre on the water. you will find us monitoring 68.. Welcome to call as well, my cells on my website. Be on the water all day sunday! Tight lines! Keep em wet!

Nick

Nick,

That's pretty funny. As I was reading this I was about to make the comment:

"Fish Cayuga"

Truth is....Some days the fish just aren't biting ... no mater what you throw at them.