Need advice on outfitting myself with new gear

Long time oneida lake fisherman here, mostly jigging but last year got into the trolling with planer boards and bottom bouncers. In about 3 weeks ill be getting a new boat that can handle Ontario so im looking at making trips up to oswego for browns and possibly steelhead/salmon. I have line counter reels,big boards, and snap weights. I really dont want to put downriggers on my new boat so im looking at my options as what ill need to accomplish this. I have 9 foot medium action rods, my linecounters are the accudepth plus 17 series,so im guessing ill need new reels. I dont really want to run leadcore or wire, is it possibe to use snap weights or dipsys in june,july,august for brown trout or salmon? I love running the boards and am pretty lost as to how deep I can get. Any articles or info you can help with would be great! thanks

personally i think the leadcore will serve you well. im suprised the big boards work so well foryou in onieda lake. after about mid june the floating weed mats are too much work to troll through. the inline boards pick the weeds up before they make it to the lure. anyways, the leadcore on oneida lake is on fire right now. you would love leadcore on oneida. especially if you were using crawler rigs. you can fish for 3 hours with one leadcore for a 3 man limit where im fishing now. if you use coundown rapalas number 11 and a 2 ounce snap weight you can atain about 40 feet troll depth at about 1.8-2.0 mph. that should be OK but not optimal for ontario. some days on ontario the brown trout bite is on fire in 75 fow in front of catfish creek even on hot sunny days and you would have to fish just off the bottom. it would be kinda hard to atain those depths with snap weights. 60 fow or less you would do well i think but for august salmon and summer browns you would do far better with a large leadcore or just a couple dipsies and to save some pennies you could fish em with braided line. if your fishing east end for mid september kings and spring browns, you would be able to acheive enough depth with snap weights otherwise not so much a great setup for ontario salmonoids.

The answer to your question is yes you can, but if you do not want to run leadcore, copper or wire, you will be running a lot of lead once the fish are >50'.

There is a system for achieving maximum depths with snap weights, but the methods are kept close to the vest due to an agreement with the man who devised the system. Your best bet is to observe and copy and the best time to observe on LO is right now while we are fishing the higher water column. Sorry about the vaguenes of this post, but my word is my word and I promised not to tell, but I did not agree to hide the system or not use it.

sounds like i should grab a couple downriggers and do the 2 wire rods with dipseys and 2 riggers. will the accudepth 47 reels work for the wire? how much line will i need on the rigger reels. im guessing 20 lb mono. also can i run the dipseys off of braided? i just like the idea of fighting the fish on light tackle but if wires the way to go i will. i saw the accudepth 47 at gander for 89 including the rods,i have 3 rods for planers,riggers that should work anyway.just know my 17lcs wont hold enough line.

so basically i just need to know how much/what type of wire to spool the accudepth 47s if they will work and then get 2 more spooled with 20 lb mono for the riggers. and around 13lb sharks for the rigger weight? then i just need tackle. this is gettin complicated haha.thanks so much for the help guys.any opinions on manual riggers is great too

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I use sealine 47's with 1000 ft of camo 30lbs 7-strand wire. I would go with 30 lbs mono to keep the fleas off your mono line...they love 20 lbs test. Put as much line on as will fit. Buy 2 13 lbs torpedo weights in the classified section for $25/each. Those combos at gander will work for dr rods. As far as tackle you can get by with about 20 spoons and 5 flasher fly combos to start out with.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Wire is the way to go. Once the fleas come out, and when is anybody's guess this year, braid becomes difficult to use.

Get 1000 feet of wire for each; Malin, Mason & AFW get the majority of the business with Torpedo the newcomer (and less expensive). We're running Torpedo 7 strand and 19 strand wire with no issues but not a lot of hours in yet either. The major brands all make reliable manual riggers (we're using Cannons) but make sure whatever you get will handle the weight you want to use. There's always used manual ones for sale - if you can afford new manuals, you might as well pay for used electrics instead.

One option instead of manual downriggers is to try running Torpedo Divers to get your line down where you want it. The owner and one of his sponsored pros are members here, posting regularly. http://www.torpedodivers.com/

The guy I fish with and I are in a similar position but running one season ahead of you. ;)

Those torpedo divers look awesome, I read through that entire page before but Im just being overwhelmed with information. Nobody runs riggers on oneida because its so small so I dont really have anyone to go to for advice. Id love to not have to put riggers on my new boat but it seemed that was the only way,especially since im new, to get down without complications. I fairly understand the wire with the dipseys now. Just have to decide on reels. Id love to be able to get 4 of the same reels and do 2 with wire and 2 with mono. Looks like accudepths or convectors? Do you run the torpedos on boards? I had this dream of running my offshore boars up there seeing as how they say salmon but that seems a distant wish now. Ive seen the accudepths and convectors around 50 dollars which would be great. Id just need one rod as I have 3 medium heavy planer rods thats I believe would work.

Ive spent a few hours every day reading on here for weeks and I still have nothing haha. The new boat should be here memorial day weekend so Id like to be up there mid june. I usually order big stuff off the net and then go to the local shops and buy tons of tackle.Thanks for all the help guys,the reading continues

I picked up a Shark and a Snapper to try but I've only run them on wire, straight off the back with a spoon a couple times so far. You can run them off big boards or inline planers though using braid or mono.

There hasn't been much detailed conversation regarding them yet so I'm experimenting. 8)

I don't use downriggers on my boat.

I fish with 2 or 3 dipsey's and one or two lines using a heavy bass weights. Don't use snap weights, they are useless.

Go with wire lines if you can - it is way better, trust me. If you buy anything else you will likely end up buying wire and spending the money twice, so do it right the first time. Wire is not difficult to use if you follow a few basics. Get 7 strand torpedo wire, and spool 1000 ft of it onto your reel. Keep it tight, apply it on slowly and then you won't have any major issues.

So let me explain my setup:

Two outer rods are always on wire dipseys, number 1 dipseys on 3 setting away from the boat. If generally put these deep in the water 50 - 90 feet deep.

Two inner rods (center) I normally put on heavy drop weights a 4 oz and a 6 oz. This allows me to put these lines far out (180 feet or more) out and away from the dipseys. At these distances I get around 30 ft deep. The 4 oz weight is always 20 or 30 feet farther out then the 6 oz weight. This keeps these lines away from each other as well. To attach the bass weights, they will come with a ring on the weight. Connect your main line to this ring using a snap swivel. Connect your leader to the same ring using another snap swivel. Your leader then needs to be at least 10 feet long, florocarbon 20 to 30# to lure.

Sometimes I'll use a number 0 dipsy on one of the center rods if I need to get to 40 feet or so.

The setup up is very productive. I hooked into 7 fish this weekend, and landed 4 over the space of 3 hours fishing.

Mark

great info here guys. looking at getting 4 accudepth 47s. 2 with 30 lb mono and 2 with wire for dipseys. I have rods for the mono on riggers but none to run the wire on. Seems like theres a ton of options, whats a good rod thatll work well?Probably around 9 foot is what ud want? I see the daiwa heartlands but not sure which model id need

I would go at least 9 ft, 10 ft if you can. It helps getting the fish a lot closer to net when you have more length as you can wind up more line. It also helps to get the rods over the rigger rods if you want them to sit over one another.

I have Rapala RSC's 10 ft with roller guides - very nice.

You will get 100 opinions here, so you'll need to go to a good shop and look at the options. If you go the roller guide way rather than twillie tip, then get a rod with good roller guides or the wire will end up getting stuck between the roller and roller mount and you will be swearing a lot. A good roller guide is an amazing rod to work with.