Need help shoppin' !

Here's the deal.. I've been hooked on walleye for the past twenty years or so but a buddy and my fishing partner want to try salmon fishing this year. I'm sure that most of my stuff will work.. I've got downriggers, in-line boards, lots of dipsy's, plenty of rods and reels (Daiwa SGLC's in 17's,27's and 47's).. most are spooled with Powerpro 30# braid.. with leadcore on some of the big ones. The problem is that I don't think my worm harnesses, small stickbaits or little spoons will do the job. I've got about 300 bucks in Gander cards and could use some help in deciding on what terminal tackle to get. I realize that this won't buy me much, but what would be some good, basic stuff that I really should have if I decide to get serious about this? I know I've got a few boxes with J-plugs, NK Mags and cut-bait rigs, but I could use some advice to help fill a box for salmon and trout fishing! I'll probably be fishing out of Oswego or Sandy Pond (if there's a way out). Thanks.. and Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Chris, you are going to get a lot of different responses to this, so

I'll give you just a few to start with. First, your braided line will have to go around the end of June for the fleas will load up terribly with them. So invest in some 30# mono, I like big game,but there are others that will do fine. As far as spoons, N.K's, Mullato's, glow frogs, purple thunder ( both silver and gold cup), green thunder( 42 second spoon taped) Black/silver( spook and laser spook) N.B.K.'s in N.K or Silver Streak. Billly V's Habanero should be in one's arsenol as well. Flashers- spin doctors' white on white, mountain dew, green on black, 8 inch e- chips, green, silver, pulling A-tom-mik hammer flies among others. Cutbait rigs- white, pearl fishscale Coyotes pulling glow frog heads. Don't disregard your smaller spoons for walleyes, they can be deadly for kings as a free or fixed slider. One of my best slider spoons is a mini black magic. Taken a lot of kings with this one. Best of luck in your venture.

Hey Chris, check out A-Tom-Mik's site http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com Oswego is his home turf and he'll know what's hot. Most guys put alot of faith in their wire dipsy setups, so you may want to rig a couple LC's up with wire and twilly tips. Gander in Johnson City doesn't have much trolling gear right now, here's hoping they have someone knowledgeable ordering for spring. I've often wanted to stop at the Gander above Syracuse that you can see off I-81. I would think they would have about the best selection of trolling gear as they are close to Ontario. Not sure if you have a down speed and temp on your Lund, but I think that's a gotta have for Salmon fishing. I'm hoping to add one to my Wellcraft this spring.

Just think, you'll be able to do almost 3 trips to Oswego for the the time and money it costs you to go to Erie. I was going to hit the river last Sat, but decided to buy myself a new truck for my birthday, another Dodge quadcab with the Hemi this time. They are painting my old cap to match the new truck so I may have to get it this Sat. Otherwise I may see you on the river.

Ron, forget about the Gander in Cicero. I was there in November and they didn't have much at all and the salesman didn't even know what half the stuff was I asked him about. He said they don't get a lot of calls for salmon tackle. :roll: I was really dissappointed. I expected them to have a lot too. I don't know, maybe the Spring season will be different. The Gander in New Hartford had more stuff than Cicero.

Ron, forget about the Gander in Cicero. I was there in November and they didn't have much at all and the salesman didn't even know what half the stuff was I asked him about. He said they don't get a lot of calls for salmon tackle. :roll: I was really dissappointed. I expected them to have a lot too. I don't know, maybe the Spring season will be different. The Gander in New Hartford had more stuff than Cicero.

Bob, Thanks for the heads up on that Gander. You would think they'd have the right gear. Are there any good shops around Oswego?

Maybe the Gander in Cicero is just off season and the "salesman" was new or something unless they fropped that line of tackle. They have been a good source for all manufacturer's of spoons, dodgers and flashers in the past. :o:o:o

Clarke

Yeah, like I said maybe the Spring season will be better. If you happen to stop there, let us know if it was any different. Thanks