RUFF RIDER Live Reports from Wilson 5/19-5/27

Yeah if you have little mechanical type skill it could be tricky, although not gard sure youtube has a video on how to do it.or get a wrench turning buddy a case of beer. To help you out it could've been a little full . Let us know how you make out. I fish out if the oak but good luck all to the west gonna be a beautiful day.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Thanks bailey if it's still smoking tomorrow ill check youtube!

Nick,

What are you running for leader on that Dipsey? I run no snubber on my dipseys, you can go up to 40-50 lbs of floro. I usually run 30, and have no problems, Knock on Wood. Go gettum!!! Wish I was out there with you guys.

Capt. Rich

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=o&page=1&template=subℑ=t1.12140.1603.LakeOntario.143.250m.jpg

Looks like what little color there is extends out to near 300 ...350 fow ..are you down towards the red can Nick? Or out front of port?

Just a little west of wilson, stayed under 200fow so far. Gonna try bouncin bottom in shallow, then head out deep. The radio is dead silent.

Nick,

What are you running for leader on that Dipsey? I run no snubber on my dipseys, you can go up to 40-50 lbs of floro. I usually run 30, and have no problems, Knock on Wood. Go gettum!!! Wish I was out there with you guys.

Capt. Rich

Hey Rich, I run 50lb from dipsey to spinny, the bite off was just above the treble, probably that 40lber :)

Hey Nick! Great to see your reports on the water again!! Last week we found a great class of fish out in 280-320 fow a little east of Wilson. We didn't mark much on the screen, but we boated many upper teens/lower 20's kings. Our hottest set-up was a white with green dots spinny pulling a hypnotist fly on the riggers and wires. May also want to try different speeds - one day they wanted us moving 2.6-2.8, the next they wanted it slower at 2.2-2.4. If we were slow or fast we didn't get a touch! Finicky suckers!! 8)

Nick,

Capt. Rich

Hey Rich, I run 50lb from dipsey to spinny, the bite off was just above the treble, probably that 40lber :)

Next question, do you tie your own leaders or use factory shipped leaders? When I tie my own, I run the tag end of the leader up through the bottom of the treble so the line can not be "cut" off by the fish, making it look like a bite off. It is really easy to do. If you do this, or use epoxy in the gap already, then you have a true bite off...

Capt. Rich

When you go back to the dock, go over to the boat Water Wolf, my buddy Darryl, Raaven on here is the first mate. Have him show you that trick for making your own leaders. It is so much nicer, since you can change the bead colors, and make longer leaders if need be. No more "bite Offs" Good Luck.

Rich

Hey Rich, I run 50lb from dipsey to spinny, the bite off was just above the treble, probably that 40lber

More times than not when you have a "bite off" just above the treble on a fly, it's not actually not a bite off at all. The line above the treble can get nicked easily by the pliers when removing the hook from a fishes mouth. Not sayin that is what happened....but it's the cause of most break offs like you had.

I tie my own fly leaders and I use a 1" piece of surgical tubing over the treble shank for that exact reason.

Keep the reports coming buddy....

That was fun! Double turned into a triple when the copper started screaming, then as soon as the riggers were down we doubled again!

Cohos and lakers. The copper was a king but it got off while Theresa and I were arguing over who would have the misfortune of reeling it in.

2012-05-20_09-14-47_682.jpg

2012-05-20_09-31-29_320.jpg