RUFF RIDER Live Reports from Wilson 5/19-5/27

FWIW, swimming in a Marina is potentially dangerous with all of the stray currents from shore power etc., and not knowing who's got messed up boat wiring. You'd be much safer anchoring in shallow water outside of the harbor where there is no chance of electrocution.

Tim

Yikes, might need to pull the boat then.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

If I didnt know better id think it was mid june. Weather is beautiful, lake is flat, and the fish arent biting.

That's what I was saying over in the Oswego Thread. I think we are way ahead of schedule and it looks like we are already in the Transition that normally happens in June.

Tim

If I didnt know better id think it was mid june. Weather is beautiful, lake is flat, and the fish arent biting.

That's what I was saying over in the Oswego Thread. I think we are way ahead of schedule and it looks like we are already in the Transition that normally happens in June.

Tim

Tim,

According to our record at work, the intake water temp is running 8 degrees ahead of last year at this time and 5 degrees ahead of the year before for this date.

Tim

Tim,

According to our record at work, the intake water temp is running 8 degrees ahead of last year at this time and 5 degrees ahead of the year before for this date.

Brian,

That sounds about right. Last year the lake had set up at the end of June and we had our traditional 4th of July time frame start of consistent summer fishing out of Olcott. Two years ago was kind of an early spring and our summer fishing started around Fathers Day Weekend.

Based on that, I'd say the current temps reflect the very early spring we had this year. Looking at the coastwatch surface temp maps, we have 60 deg on shore and 57 -58 deg in the middle of the lake. Nothing even remotely resembling a thermal bar setting up. Hopefully it stays warm and the lake sets up quick.

Well at the end of the trip we put our outdrive up so I could check the prop, the lure was hooked on my ezsteer bar! I got my fav coho spoon back and no worries about line in my prop.

We tried a new prop on our nissan 9.8 kicker, a solas 4 blade high thrust prop. The old prop we had problems with "drift" and the riggers would tangle from the boat drifting sideways. The new prop did a much better job, but when the wind picked up today we had trouble doing 2.8 at full throttle, so I might need to go back to my old prop.

119754619-260x260-0-0_solas+solas+prop+j+e+al+9+9+15hp+07+high+thrust+21.jpg

Well at the end of the trip we put our outdrive up so I could check the prop, the lure was hooked on my ezsteer bar! I got my fav coho spoon back and no worries about line in my prop.

Great news!

We tried a new prop on our nissan 9.8 kicker, a solas 4 blade high thrust prop. The old prop we had problems with "drift" and the riggers would tangle from the boat drifting sideways. The new prop did a much better job, but when the wind picked up today we had trouble doing 2.8 at full throttle, so I might need to go back to my old prop.

Nick,

I assume that the kicker is offset to one side, if that is the case you may want to run a small bag on the same side as the motor and run at a higher RPM. Give it a try with a 5 gal bucket and see if it corrects the drift before you buy the bag.

Just an idea, may work for you.

Keep the reports coming!!!

Had dinner tonight at the Wilson House.

2012-05-21_19-17-35_988.jpg

The wings were nice and big and meaty! The medium sauce was delicious, the barbecue honey was eh.

2012-05-21_18-35-55_32.jpg

The price was pretty good, $12 for 20 wings. We also got a $4.95 grilled cheese with fries... I was going to take a picture, but they were gone before I could get the camera out :inlove:

Boss wants to come out again tomorrow, so hopefully we can get him on some bigger fish! Sounds like we might have been fishing under them today, most of our stuff was down in the 70-100' range. It's hard to pinpoint where to fish when the fish finder is blank and bites are all over the place!

Btw, my RCA connection on my depthraider broke and I tried replacing it with one from radioshack, which rusted just at the sight of water. Does anyone know a local place I can pick up a stainless RCA connection? Definitely need the male side, but might replace both sides.

Tight lines to everyone out tomorrow!

Nick

Nick,

I assume that the kicker is offset to one side, if that is the case you may want to run a small bag on the same side as the motor and run at a higher RPM. Give it a try with a 5 gal bucket and see if it corrects the drift before you buy the bag.

Just an idea, may work for you.

Keep the reports coming!!!

Hey Carl, yes the kicker is offset to the passenger side. I ended up running my single otter boat off of the motor side thinking the same thing you were, would adding the bag be overkill? I have a small troll bag I can put out tomorrow and try, I'm just not sure the kicker will have enough power as it was struggling at full RPM today to keep 2.8mph GPS (2.1 DR downspeed). Might be worth trying with the old prop though as that had more speed just less oomph.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=o&page=1&template=subℑ=t1.12142.1551.LakeOntario.143.250m.jpg

color plume looks like it is packed down near the bar out deep from the red can. Hardly any color east of there now. Maybe a couple miles east of the red can will be a more fertile color and hold some bait?...keep tryin Nick :yes:

Thanks for the heads up, we'll head that way. Two other boats out here sounded like one steelie between the two, yikes!

In the last image from modis, there looks like good color way off shore out from Olcott east to near Point Breeze. Hmmmmm.

We're going to give the 350fow range a try down to the bar, then if nothing work that shallow stuff back. I just still cant believe how little we have marked this week.