Hot Lure: Moonshine Geezer

Trolling Speed: 3

Down Speed: 3

Boat Depth: 90 - 220

Lure Depth: 20 - 120

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Very wierd day for us today. The bite started all on junk lines 2 oz & 200 copper both with Geezer's then I got word that there were some hungary fish deep so I broke out the 600' copper put a WMD on it and missed a fish then boated 2 coho -- thought I'd put some red glow down to feed them and the 107' rigger popped with a steelhead - 43 degree water, coho's and steelhead???????????? then to really confuse things we took a Laker on the slider on the 40' rigger. Never figured out the bigger fish today.

Sounds like early transition. The surface temp is rising quickly from most reports I'm reading. Fish are sorta scattered in the water column. Equation sounds like that of a impending flip....what do you think?

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

its been a little tuff out there that 4 sure.

I was hoping it was tough out there and just not me. Although it sounds like I had it tougher. :)

Searched for 4-5 hours to only pull in two skippers. Think I had a better fish on the wire diver but never got it to the boat.

Thanks for the report, definitely could use the help.

Sounds like early transition. The surface temp is rising quickly from most reports I'm reading. Fish are sorta scattered in the water column. Equation sounds like that of a impending flip....what do you think?

Mark

No sorta scattered about it, they are all over the place. If I had the day to do over again I would have stayed in the <120 fow area just because I'd know that there would be no fish under 120'!

Not only were they scattered but they were uncommitted as well, lots of short hits some were little fish for shure, but others popped the tight releases but were gone by the time we got the slack out.

I think there are a lot of lakers in that 70 to 120 fow, and with troll speeds at 3 mph they were probably the short hitters. I had the same result weeks ago when I sped things up to get away from the mud chickens. Short hits and just a couple coho. I think the big guys are to be found in the deep. Feeding deep possibly. You said the 107 rigger fired on a steelhead...gotta be there for food cause they don't really like that frigid water much. Maybe 240 fow on out could show some bigger class kings on these sunny days down deep over 100?...wish I could get out there and play with the puzzle...I miss having a challenge, but dread the skunk :lol:

Mark

I am at it again today - I'm having a tough time again - surface to 70 down - not a bump - it has to be early transition - but they have to eat some time cause they haven't been eating much the last three days - wonder if I should go way deep or is it just a waste of gas?

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

I had very similar luck this weekend, and they seemed way more scattered than last weekend. Looking back, I should have tried it out in deeper water. I stayed in that mythical 120'-150' zone as well and managed 5 fish saturday and 3 fish Sunday morning. I guess I always troll too fast for lakers, because we caught 4 kings and the and 4 cohos. Only one fish over 30 inches. Lake sure was calm and easy to get around on both days!

32_inch_King.jpg

Bills_first_coho_BEST.jpg

Calm_day_on_the_big_lake1.jpg

Thanks for the report Carl i appreciate it man. Ya the first week of the derby we got a 15 lbs laker on my 26 rigger. If i remember right the spring last year was goofy like this. And last spring i did good in that deep water and all were on Ice Frogs and froggy spindoctors. Im hitting the Oak this weekend sat and sun CANT WAIT. Got my wifes family from Georgia going with me to. So the pressure is on :P . Two weeks ago the last time i talkd to you on lou we went to wilson and did a bunch of skippers and a 18 nr. :P . Lookn forward to getting back to the Oak. Good Fishing Carl.

Last year end of May we were marking a lot of fish 180-220 out in the shipping lanes (350+) out of Olcott so just for giggles I charged up a glow spoons and dropped a rigger to 200 and that rigger fired 5 times the day.

Here's one of them from that day

252691_1751250745288_1359453517_1487982_7994150_n.jpg

Tim