Off Topic Question about Cayuga Lake area wildlife.

I just recently returned from my yearly week long trip to Cayuga Lake and I was curious about something me and my family saw on our way back.

We decided to take the long way back to I-81 via route 89 from North end through Ithaca and encountered an interesting wild animal crossing the highway early morning time.

I can only describe it as a monster sized coyote. I would say it stood at least three feet tall at the head and rivaled the size of a large greyhound. We noted that the color was that of a coyote, as were the tail, snout and ears, but the sheer size was uncanny. Are these pure coyote or hybrids of some sort, and has anyone else seen one of these of this size in the Cayuga Lake area? I am certain of what I saw, for it crossed in front of my Jeep no more than 20 feet in front. First time in over 10 years that I've seen one of these on my trip up to Cayuga Lake.

Thanks for any confirmation.

Definately not a doe, unless they have a long tail that hangs down behind them. And it ran like a wolf.

And I am from North Carolina. My family has been making a yearly trip up to Cayuga Lake for many years. The coyote that we are accustom to seeing are a lot, and I mean a lot smaller. This one that we saw crossing just south of Dean's Cove drop in was the largest I have ever seen. A wolf hybrid would make sense. I was just curious if they all were that large around the finger lakes.

Thanks for the replies.

Iv'e got some around my house here that are the size of german shepards, West Dryden area, Iv'e seen timber wolves in Northern Quebec and these are very close in size. I just seen two coyote pelts a buddy of mine shot this winter, He said they both weighed 85#s, Huge!!

Iv'e got some around my house here that are the size of german shepards, West Dryden area, Iv'e seen timber wolves in Northern Quebec and these are very close in size. I just seen two coyote pelts a buddy of mine shot this winter, He said they both weighed 85#s, Huge!!

This one wasn't stocky like a german shepherd. It was quite a bit taller and longer. Same bushy tail hanging low as it ran across the road. Long thin legs. I would have estimated it to have been around the 80# mark at the very least.

I live just south of 89 traders village (sounds like the area that you saw this coyote). We are surrounded by big woods and it is not uncommon to her three diffrent packs hunting their prey late in the evening........... I've seen a few that match your disciption. Keeps the cat population in check :devil:

80# would be a stretch for a NY coyote. A big one might weigh into the 50's, but not up in the 80's. I have trapped coyotes in NY and I have seen dead wolves in alaska and there is no comparison sizewise.

It most likely was a coyote but there is no way it was anywhere near 80lbs.

i have mounted several yotes that were over 40 lbs, and they look huge. long legs,long hair and no body fat. they also have a strange looking way of running when there not full out trying to avoid a load of double "o" buck shot. next time stomp on the gas and run over it then you can be sure it was a fawn eating machine!! ( yes i do dislike them)