Warm weather

I'm wondering what you guys think the effect (if any) this warm fall & winter will have on the fishery in the coming years.

I can tell you that it's just about killed the ski industry in the East! Ugh!!

Anyone have a theory to share?

Bill

To me it doesn't do much as the water is in the mid 30's. If we don't get ice it will warm up quicker in the spring and make for some good early fishing.

I bought a seasons pass to GP Bill! Tell me about it! Haven't even bothered to go.

Can you say El Nino?

RR

Bill, just an educated guess, is that I feel that the mild winter could only enhance the fishery in and of itself. The fish would be more aggresive,thus putting on more body weight. One would guess that since the temps are not to the point of creating much ice in Erie, that the spring fishing as we know it at the bar may in fact more diverse along the southern shore line at an accelerated pace this spring, which I feel benefits almost all. However, the fact that the lake may not approach those of a standard winter, may also enhance the proliferation of the fleas much earlier than in the past, such as around early to mid June. Time will tell, but I think we should have another phenominal fishery this year.

RR,

You should get out there...we're open and skiing, albeit thin coverage on only 3 trails. When you finally decide to come out, let me know and I'll try to make a few runs with you in between my ski school duties!

Bill

I think it will be great to start, but as the lake warms up fast im a little worried about bactieraspreading and killing off more fish ,beside golbies. We need a nice cold period to kill foriegn agents in the lake and clear her up. Just my 2 cents.

I'm guessing the preyfish are going to have a great winter but come summer we're going to see some problems as FB' said. Polish up the heavy cannonballs because I think we're going to need them to go a little deeper & a little earlier this year.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Chinook - I ran McCoy Mean Green this year on all my downrigger rods. During the middle of summer when everything was picking up fleas this stuff worked mint! Yeah you would get a couple of inches here and there, but for the mosty part they couldnt cling to it. Im talking during the period where the wire couldnt be in the water for more than 30 minutes without getting a few feet of them on it. I ran it in 25lb test (mainly becasue I was running all spinnies). The 15lb test (which I ran my spoons off) did well too when it was down. I am running it again this summer and will report on the flea issue next winter, but Im sure satisfied with it.

Yankee, thanks for the heads up. May have to give it a try this year. I always figured the thermocline to set up around the first of July, give or take on a normal year,with the fleas shortly to follow. However, with the mild winter we are experiencing, we may see a thermocline develop in early to mid June. Obviously that is subject to change if the weather tails off dramaticlly. As far as fishing deeper, that will be left to how many hard N.W. winds we see once the lake sets up. Where have you been purchasing the Mean Green from?

Seems like the lack of extended cold will mean lake temps will rise quicker than usual.This will really F -up us pier guys, unless we start fishing here pretty quick! Also you would think there would be some long-term effects ,seeing as this trend seems to becoming more prevalent. No doubt we will get snow, but who knows when. Can you say Global Warming??

I really don't think it's global warming. I think this warm trend so far this winter is due to El Nino. At least that's what our meteorological guru over at the ski hill is telling us. Whatever it is, it's KILLING the ski industry all over the East coast. And I agree with Stix, we need some snow for a good melt to help the brown trout fishery in the spring.

Just my $02.

The theory is that with the warmer lake water it will create more than usual lake effect snow in the higher elevations. This in turn will lead to higher run-offs in the Spring. ;) Patience Grasshopper, it will come.