Adirondack Salmon Chowder

muskybob

Adirondack Salmon Chowder

From "My Adirondack Way of Cooking" by Musky Bob

If this doesn’t make your mouth water in anticipation on those cool Fall or Winter days nothing will. I use salmon mostly, but you can substitute most any type of fish.

· ½ stick butter

· ¼ cup flour

· ½ cup chopped onion

· 6 slices bacon, diced

· ½ cup diced celery

· 1½ teaspoons garlic powder not garlic salt

· 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning

· 1 ½ cup diced potatoes

· ½ bag baby carrots, cut bite size

· 1 cup chicken broth

· 1 cup grated parmesan cheese

· 1 teaspoon salt

· 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

· 1 teaspoon parsley

· 2 bay leaves

· ½ teaspoon thyme

· ½ teaspoon dried dill weed

· 2 6†salmon fillets, cubed 1â€

· 1 qt. milk

· 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn

· 1 teaspoon cornstarch

· 1 12 oz. pkg. Cream cheese

1. Sauté bacon, then add butter, onion, broth, celery, carrots, and garlic powder & cook until all is tender. Stir in potatoes, old bay seasoning, parsley, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and dill.

2. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

3. Stir in salmon, milk, creamed corn, flour, cornstarch, and cream cheese. Cook on medium, stirring frequently until heated through and cream cheese is melted.

4. Serve steaming hot with oyster crackers.

Please let me know how you like it. It’s one of my favorites.

Bob,

Made some last weekend.

What a killer meal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole tribe chowed-down heartily.

Only 1 problem..........................

THERE WERE NOT ANY LEFTOVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

Scott

Scott, It does my heart good to know you liked it. :yes: Dave Mull of GLA magazine is supposed to be putting this in an upcoming issue. I'll probably be on Oprah shortly afterward. :D :D :D Now that ya got the recipe, try substituting the salmon for clams, oysters, and/or various other seafood. ;) I use salmon because it's the most readily available thing I've got in the house. (free) :) Thanks for letting me know your tribe liked it. It makes a nice dish to pass at gatherings also. Good luck on the water this upcoming season. Ya got the tools, now go get the salmon. ;)

Bob,

I'll use the salmon in it, as we have a PILE of it, in the freezers downstairs.

Between the walleyes, venison,(did well on the deer this season, again, over here) and salmon, and we have 1/2 side of beef cut up every year, we seldom buy any meat from the local grocery stores. :yes::yes:

Scott

• 2 months later...

Bob,

All right Bob, I get home from the lake this afternoon and I've got two nice LL to cut up. Wife says I should make dinner so I make a list from your post run to the store ,a little over an hour later I hear from the little missy'" WOW you should do all the cooking." When you get your cook book together please let us know I'd really lke to purchase a copy for my wife. Hands down the best chowder I've ever had, any thing else is a very distant second. Thank you for sharing. Mark

• 8 months later...

bob all I can say is amazing. that was the best chowder I have ever had and I mean that. I seen this post when it first started and wanted to try it I never got around to it then when I seen the writeup in GLA I had to try even the wife loved it. thanks again :yes::yes::yes:

Don't listen to him Bob, thats coming from a guy who thinks a seven course meal is a six pac and a potato. :D BTW Bob, I'm gonna try it with scallops for christmas (part of the seven fishes) :yes: i've used lump crab meat in the past and that was good as well.

MMM, that sounds great. What time's dinner? ;)

• 3 weeks later...
How many Budweisers does that recipe require to make Bob? I just need to be sure I have enough before I attemp it. :beer:

Since I'm not much at finesse when cooking...in other words the g/f gets that omg look and starts following me around picking up the trail of many dishes pots and pans and measuring cups, spoons, stirring utensils, spice containers, and empty beer bottles....whew...now I need another beer!..I also wrecked up her little auto not so matic chopper thingy, then reverted to a knife. All the while she is wondering what in tarnation is going to be the outcome.

Well I can tell ya, I had two blues during the chopping gathering part. Then while you are waiting for the cream cheese to melt is where you need the most beer cause here is where the anticipation begins, and stirring only requires one hand. Now Cher is looking at this pot and has finally caught up with the myriads of kitchen tools left in my wake...she says wow!...this really smells great!..couple more beers and the cheese is finnaly in the liquid form!

Now that's just me, like I said "inept" at kitchen skills...and 5 beers later, it was done!..so even a half baked chef can make this a great meal and for a few days too! We had it again with some shrimp and mussels added and seved it atop of linguine...mmm mmm gooood.

Thanks Bob, for a great recipe and for restoring my confidence as a guy who can empty the cupboards of all the utensils and fill a dishwasher twice ...good for another beer..LOL

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

How many Budweisers does that recipe require to make Bob? I just need to be sure I have enough before I attemp it. :beer:

Since I'm not much at finesse when cooking...in other words the g/f gets that omg look and starts following me around picking up the trail of many dishes pots and pans and measuring cups, spoons, stirring utensils, spice containers, and empty beer bottles....whew...now I need another beer!..I also wrecked up her little auto not so matic chopper thingy, then reverted to a knife. All the while she is wondering what in tarnation is going to be the outcome.

Well I can tell ya, I had two blues during the chopping gathering part. Then while you are waiting for the cream cheese to melt is where you need the most beer cause here is where the anticipation begins, and stirring only requires one hand. Now Cher is looking at this pot and has finally caught up with the myriads of kitchen tools left in my wake...she says wow!...this really smells great!..couple more beers and the cheese is finnaly in the liquid form!

Now that's just me, like I said "inept" at kitchen skills...and 5 beers later, it was done!..so even a half baked chef can make this a great meal and for a few days too! We had it again with some shrimp and mussels added and seved it atop of linguine...mmm mmm gooood.

Thanks Bob, for a great recipe and for restoring my confidence as a guy who can empty the cupboards of all the utensils and fill a dishwasher twice ...good for another beer..LOL

Very similar to my cooking Mark :D I let the cream cheese come to room temp., then slice it up when putting it in. Speeds up the melting time a little bit. G/F does all the clean up work for me too ;)

Gray, ya sure that's gonna be enough? :lol:

Bob and Mark, settle an argument for me with my wife. When i'm done cooking it looks like a tornado went through the kitchen, and she tells me its a sign of a bad cook?? And you say??? ( were not including empty beer bottles as part of the mess) :lol:

Pete, I would say, let her have your dinner BEFORE letting her see the kitchen...if ya can.

Sometimes I have had the greatest food from a truckstop only to find after having the last mouthful of a scrumtious meal, that it was prepared by the same guy that came though the kitchen door, smeared apron, trashing dirty dishes, and smells of booze as well.

SOooo....NO ...it does not reflect negatively on the quality of the chef skills....unless of course, his choice of beer was bad and if he used it in the recipe.

• 7 months later...