Adirondack Salmon Chowder

muskybob

If this doesn’t make your mouth water in anticipation on those cool Fall or Winter days nothing will.  I use salmon mostly, but you can substitute or add most any type of seafood.

• ½ stick butter
  • ¼ cup flour
  • ½ cup chopped onion
  • 6 slices bacon, diced
  • ½ cup diced celery
  • 1½ teaspoons garlic powder not garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
  • 1 ½ cup diced potatoes
  • ½ bag baby carrots, cut bite size
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon parsley
  • 2 bay leaves
  • ½ teaspoon thyme
  • ½ teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 2 6” salmon fillets, cubed 1”
  • 1 qt. milk
  • 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 12 oz. pkg. Cream cheese

1.  Sauté bacon, then add butter, onion, broth, celery, and garlic powder & cook until onions, carrots, and celery are tender. Stir in potatoes, old bay seasoning, parsley, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and dill.

2.  Bring to a boil, and reduce heat. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

3.  Stir in salmon, milk, creamed corn, flour, cornstarch, and cream cheese. Cook on medium, stirring frequently until heated through and cream cheese is melted.

4.  Serve steaming hot with oyster crackers. 

Please let me know how you like it.  It’s one of my favorites.

• Like 1

Chaos, Try this. roll a Halabut steak in flower ,put it in a bake pan and cover with milk, salt and pepper dot with butter, about 1/4 tea spoon size chunks. Set oven to 350Deg. bake about 20min. You decide when its cooked to your liking. Hope you like it. Mike.

I made up the recipe myself and it's always good to hear what folks think of the stuff I make up. I'm working on a book of recipes titled The Adirondack Series of Recipes by Musky Bob.

PS: Don't give her my recipe. It's a secret. ;)

Hey Jim, I've been getting ready for a garage sale this coming weekend to get rid of some of my STUFF. Hopefully I'll be able to get out a few more times before I think about winterizing the boat. That ought to be a fun thing, not. This is my first year with an I/O so I'm gonna have to go by the book. Hope to see you on the water before winter sets in. Hope you enjoy the chowder.

Bob

• 1 month later...

Hey Musky, Just got finished eating my 3rd bowl of your chowder. The whole family loved it. Followed your recipe exactly and would not change a thing. Hey guys, if you haven't tried it you are missing out. Thanks for sharing it MB.

Eric

Hey Musky, Just got finished eating my 3rd bowl of your chowder. The whole family loved it. Followed your recipe exactly and would not change a thing. Hey guys, if you haven't tried it you are missing out. Thanks for sharing it MJ.

Eric

That stuff is addictive isn't it? :lol:

• 1 month later...

The chowder recipe looks awesome Musky. Just don't use Musky as an ingredient in any recipes- (Use Pike) for your book. Just for reference if any of you guys steam clams, or boil shrimp, you could use that broth in place of the can of chicken broth in Musky's recipe.Better flavor if used fresh, or you could freeze it also.

• 3 weeks later...
MB, We made another batch tonight. My 8 yr old daughter who never, never has seconds was back at the pot for another bowl. Thanks for sharing this!!!

Eric

Ha ha ha ha, that gave me a good chuckle Eric. I'm glad she enjoyed it. Next time, have her help you prepare it so she can learn how to make it. :lol::lol::lol:

Mamma fixed up a big pot yesterday. That is probably the best fish chowder I've had. I was back for seconds, and no chest pain after two bowls! Maybe 3 bowls the next time. Can anyone say total cholesterol >300?