Knots on copper

I'm looking for an alternative to the albright knot on my copper setups. Does anyone use a haywire twist on the copper to form an eye and then tie your backing or floro leader to the eye. Shrink tube would be the finishing touch.

Kevin

For a different connection I use a no knot connection for backing to copper and copper to flouro leader. Absolutely seamless transition from one to the other. Stronger than any knot in wire to backing or leader.

Cortland makes a hollow braid called c16 in 80 lb, and it eliminates a knot connection. It's a little bit tedious to complete the connections but well worth the time for a truely nice unit of line through all the guides and reel guide. I started useing this last year and have had great success with it.

It does require a one time purchase of a threading daho needle, and you can also use a needle hook to form a loop connection off the end of the hollow braid, but I just tie a perfection loop knot for the backing and leader. Still very smooth. The end of the hollow braid is served, and I use the 30 lb power pro braid for that. It keeps the braid solidly attached to the copper and keeps it from fraying apart.

I have never had a failure so far on all three of my copper setups. Two 45 lb and one 30 lb. Rigged this way....only draw back is if it breaks, which I believe is rare, is that it would be hard to do another hollow braid connection while trolling in the boat unless you have a nice cabin to sit down in and work on it. The serving is the hard part without a jig. I do it without and haven't used a bobin to do the serving of the power pro yet but that would be very useful and much easier than winding the serving by hand like I do. Fat Nancy's in Pulaski has the kits and the braid.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png