breaking down a few miles out?

so i want to go out far off shore well within reason maybe 4 miles max to where its about 200 feet deep. i have a boat but only has 1 engine which so far has been proving itself reliable but anything can happen. if i were out and i break down with no backup power source is there anyone i can call? i use the burlington/oakville ramps. coast guard? maybe a company like caa to tow us home??

The best way is have some buddies in the marina that are willing to come and get you and tow you in. PAy him for gas and return the favor if they need it some day.

Any boat can break down at any time. Thats why it is a good idea to make sure your vhf radio is fully working before you leave dock. I keep a vhf in my camp as well just in case someone needs help out there.

Depending on where you are and how you communicate is key to getting you back safely and quickly. Its a good idea to know which channels are being monitored by others on the water in the area you are at.

Channel 16 is the primary distress channel. That is what the coast guard monitors officially,(actually they have scanners as well) but you will get faster help and a tow if you simply request a tow on the popular channel. Keep in mind it is EVERYONES responsibility to assist and help when a boat is down...not just the coast guard!

A number of years ago me and my son went out the engine caught fire, we put it out with our extinguisher and radioed for a tow on the popular channel in the area. I was back at dock within an hour.

As always one should renumerate anyone who helps with assistance particularly if it is just a simple tow from engine failure.

Regardless, breakdowns are part of it, it doesnt matter if you have one or two engines anything can and does go wrong out there. Thats why communication is key....

Keep this in mind:

I answered a call on the VHF 4 years ago, a boater was in distress as they had broke down, as most of us always are I had a busy day scheduled after my morning fish, we had just finished our trip and ran in from about 8 miles out. I was with my children who also had plans later in the day, I'll admit, the last thing I wanted to do was run back out on the water and delay my day, I asked my kids if they minded running back out (the distress call was about 5 miles off shore) to help a fellow boater out, they said "YES DAD!!! "what if it was us?"!!

So off we went, lent a hand and towed them in.

A month later in rather rough weather low and behold I found myself in 200 fow and my engine died. I had my g/f's daughter with her b/f and another of their friends on board, it was their first trip and they were unsettled to say the least. I made a call to the coast guard, I told them I had 3 teenagers on board scared out of their mind. They told me to call a few friends and more or less as long as I wasn't sinking they could not help at that point in time. I had a local Charter boat "Reel Fun" Captained by Dave Burkhart come to the rescue !!!

Just Sayin

Tom

The best way is have some buddies in the marina that are willing to come and get you and tow you in. PAy him for gas and return the favor if they need it some day.

:yes::yes:

And if no one is in danger offer to wait till the Capt is finished for the day, sit back empty the cooler of softdrinks and relax!!

thats one of my fears bein out there happened 2 me this weekend with my wife after about 4 hours of trolling my engine just stopped n i tried to get it goin rite away but it wouldnt start so now i was also worryin about the lines tangelin got them all in ok waited about 5 minutes n it started i guess bein a older motor it needed a little break but its nerve rackin

thanks for all the answers guys im sure it has been asked before but this is also one question everyone should see and know what to do... its a big lake. and yes im canadian side and use the burlington/oakville ramps. i dont got a VHF yet as you apparently need a license to operate it :/ i got only one engine until i can afford a kicker!!. i have been looking up towing companies for the great lakes and might join up if its really worth it!!

one scare i had this past weekend is i was out only about 2 miles and i turned off the engine and tried starting it and NOTHING starter wouldnt turn no nothing. well seeing as i have some mechanical background i decided to tap on the solenoid and she fired up right away. biggest p-off about that is the solenoid is brand new!!!! my local boat mechanic says its not uncommon that he has had a few new solenoids defective

thanks for all the answers guys im sure it has been asked before but this is also one question everyone should see and know what to do... its a big lake. and yes im canadian side and use the burlington/oakville ramps. i dont got a VHF yet as you apparently need a license to operate it :/ i got only one engine until i can afford a kicker!!. i have been looking up towing companies for the great lakes and might join up if its really worth it!!

one scare i had this past weekend is i was out only about 2 miles and i turned off the engine and tried starting it and NOTHING starter wouldnt turn no nothing. well seeing as i have some mechanical background i decided to tap on the solenoid and she fired up right away. biggest p-off about that is the solenoid is brand new!!!! my local boat mechanic says its not uncommon that he has had a few new solenoids defective

Get a vhf.

That should be your first priority for saftey.

Don't need a license :)

is this a serious answer or just joking??? i always heard and read one is needed to operate a vhf? or do you only require a license to radio the coast guard??? i would love one and if no license is required i will buy one asap just for the reason of this thread!!

I vaguly remember on my dads boat as a kid he had a license and assigned call letters but I don't know if it still applies over my life so far I've towed in three others and been towed once always be willing help others but if there is a service for your area it worth the fee just for the piece of mind

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

we should make a list of people from each port who are willing to rescue other members... like a call chain where we list #'s and you just call down the list till you find somebody on the lake to help ya

would be nice to have a little security out on the lake

that and maybe add on a thread of the list of dates when people are going on the lake as well.

say make a thread like ''may 26, 2012'' i whoever going to lake ontario today and phone number is ........... call to meet up for a day out or call incase of emergency.

though i dont think it would be very successful it would be nice and handy. anything can happen even to the most prepared people and being stranded on a big lake is a worrysom thing especially if bad weather could hit within a couple hours

They do need an operator's license in Canada.

Tim