Copper line with line counters

Does a line counter reel accurately count copper line? I recently bought a saltist LC reel spooled with a 300 copper. I reset the counter when I got to the copper. But my counter read a little over 400 after I got to the braid.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

No.

The diameter of copper is too large for any kind of accuracy.

Only use for a counter on a copper is if you are adding bombs and lowering extra backing to achieve greater depth or you are running it shorter than full length down the chute.

Just fyi a typical line counter will not cout feet of line out. It approximates feet in spool revolutions and allows close duplication among reel types.

You can calibrate them at a certain distance. Problem with this is that it is only calibrated perfectly at that distance. Under or over that measurement you are off, your margin of error grows the farther you are from the calibration point.

Best option is just to verify that the same amount of line is added at capacity then all reels of that model will be very close.

j

If you get your gear from Tom he usually marks them every 100' with a heat shrink mark.

Didn't the other 100' of copper from the board back to the boat drag in the water? I tried to run a 500 as a 400 once and that was enough for me. Just had to buy another reel. :yes:

j

I put the copper in the release and only had enough out to reach the release from the rod tip. I pull a little (at a time) off the reel till I get the release where I want it down the planer line.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png