lake erie buffalo area tips

dewey123

Im looking to try my luck with walleye this sunday. My father wants to catch them bad and I know they are there but Im just looking for a few pointers. Im gonna launch in the SBH or erie basin marina. My plan is to launch the boat by 4AM and fish untill 8 or 9 or when they stop bitting. I plan to troll for them with stick baits off my big boards in shallow water. My question is how shallow are they gonna be. I was thinking 5 to 10 ft but with this warm spring I dont want to be in the wrong depth. I could also go for the evening bite which ever would be recommended. Please PM any info that may offend or giveaway info indicating more specific spots. I appreciate the help. -Eric

Usually dont but if its part of ehat you have cant hurt run ball high use weight to help get bait down. Its early yet but could be perfect weekend. When things take off youll find info on site i posted

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Out of small boat, troll the breakwall to hamburg shoreline with stickbaits after dark. You can also anchor where smokes creek exists into the lake at the Lackawana windmills plant and cast stickbaits in the dark, but the fish smell like steel slag that come out of there ;( Going the other way, you could drift during the day in front of the channel above the peace bridge. If you are not familiar with the water around the peace bridge be careful, lots of rocks to damage your outdrive if you are not careful.

Its a strange spring indeed. Water temp in front of the windmills was 65. That tells me they are starting to set up in their summer patterns, eg, deepers. I find runnin hooks better in the colder water. As the temp comes up, I switch to meat. Will be giving it shot also this weekend.

With surface water temperatures at 55 to 65 degrees, the walleyes will be near the surface feeding on emeralds, etc. Use side planers to get your lures away from the boat's track and find the depth for them by changing weights to see what works. After 65 degrees, head west of Sturgeon Point to 65 foot or better waters.

Last night between 10:30 pm & midnight we caught 4 walleye from 3 lbs to 5 lbs in 30 ft of water off the windmills out the south gap from the Buffalo Harbor. We used #20 jetdivers with 6 ft leader and Rapala S13 in clown color,100 ft out at 1.6 mph.From midnight on we could not touch a fish,still marked them but they shutoff.

Some of our best walleye fishing has been mid day on sunny calm days. If you think they stop biting at 8 or 9 you will miss some great fishing. We caught 6 in the 24" class in 36 fow in front of the windmills last Saturday. Sunny and calm. I would start looking in 30feet or so off the windmills and slowly work out. Be sure to run at least a couple lines high. I mean in the top 10 feet. Mayfly larve will be coming out and they will be eating that. Our best baits last Saturday were perch rapala deep divers, #5 and 6.

I never run downriggers for walleye unless fishing deeper than 60 fow. Run 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 colors, small dipsie divers, jet divers, and flat lines. I think the downdigger balls spook them.

If your lucky fishkiller16 will chime in. He is one of yhe best on erie.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I would work Seneca Shoal and Meyers Reef area 30-40 foot area, we fished that area yesterday and dropped one at the back of the boat and that was it. One of my buddies fished thursday, they fished the same areas and ended up with 4. Were still in the transition time between night and day fishing. As soon as we start hitting them hard I'll post it. Also don't count out the Windmills and Departure Bouy areas also.

I still prefer to run hooks. I have a better chance to hittin the exact depth and replicating than I do with meat. Dont get me wrong I fish a lot of both, but preference to hooks.

With that said, every meat trip is still tuning and fine tuning. I run a snap weight program that I am pretty confident in, but not exact as hooks. Or at least I think so.

Whose got the best crawler right now in the buffalo area?