Embarrassing but I can't figure out transom tie downs

genEus

I have no problem tying 5 different fishing knots off the top of my head... But I can't figure out these damn transom tie downs. No matter which way I pull I can't seem to lock them down!! I know a picture is worth 1000 words but can someone use words to tell me what in the world I could possibly be doing wrong? I spent 20 minutes trying every which way, and nothing....

:swear:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O0DIN6/ref ... B001O0DIN6

31bSwEDaUAL._SS500_.jpg

The pull of the free strap keeps the buckle in the open position. When I push the buckle down, it doesn't lock, in fact the free strap that is taut is not allowing the buckle to remain closed, if that makes any sense. :-\

can you switch them around so that the buckle isn't laying tight to the boat boat sounds like the buckle just isn't going far enough to lock. Once they lock in place there should be a velcro strap to hold them in place...right?

Tom

the buckle locks by going overcenter...if it is hitting on something it wont lock down...tcons advice is probably the answer...the buckle will kind of encompass the strap when it locks in...and those do have velcro straps to keep the buckle locked down...

good luck...when you get it it will be one of those "oh my god its that simple" moments...

Yeah I can't wait to get out of work and have that face palm moment. And, really the velcro is supposed to keep the buckle closed?? isn't that kind of lame our does it actually work? I mean, I trust Attwood, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt...

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Glad you figured them out I had the same problem, I couldn't get them to lock, then I read the directions and reassembled them than they worked!!! Then I read where they were made, now what does a person that lives in a straw hut built in the sand, lives on water and rice know about a boat tie-down?(Just my thought)

Don't forget to take them off when you launch the boat or it will take a long time to get the boat in the water. :o:o

LOL. Yeah. It took me a while to get the dang transom saver motor mount together too. At least that was straightforward to do, just had to figure out the best way to bungee the motor to the mount and the mount to the trailer.

This boat thing seems to have so many little things to remember!...

Transom tie downs, Motor mount, Bilge plug (yes, already put the boat in the water without it once) ... :) hah. SO worth it though

Going in water: get out of tow veichle; unplug trailer lights; take off transom tie downs; check transom plug is in; raise motors; put lines on cleats; back boat into water; take winch & safty hook off; launch boat !

Coming out of water: raise motors; back trailer into water; winch boat on trailer & put safty hook on; pull out of water; put transom straps on; put motors into travel position; plug lights in; (+ or -)Check everything correct & Check again & head down the road! Works for me. ;)

Going in water: get out of tow veichle; unplug trailer lights; take off transom tie downs; check transom plug is in; raise motors; put lines on cleats; back boat into water; take winch & safty hook off; launch boat !

Coming out of water: raise motors; back trailer into water; winch boat on trailer & put safty hook on; pull out of water; put transom straps on; put motors into travel position; plug lights in; (+ or -)Check everything correct & Check again & head down the road! Works for me. ;)

This sounds so routine and easy to do. But don't get distracted! I do everything in the same order every time I launch and recover my boat. I don't skip anything and come back to it. ANAL. I once saw a man back down a ramp at Oneida Lake with a fiberglass I/O. He had taken the winch line AND safety chain off the front of his boat before backing down :o:o with a roller trailer. Boat came off just like it should have ON THE RAMP!!!!!!!!! No one hurt but the boat and one guys wallet.

Dennis

Man oh man, the hour long ride to the lake was like DAY and NIGHT difference compared to the previous two times, with the transom tie downs holding the boat down and the motor mount holding up the motor. Running over bumps in the road sounded like "thump, thump" for the car, then the trailer, instead of "thump, thump, rattle, rattle," watching the entire boat and motor bouncing up and down. Hah.

Don't forget to take them off when you launch the boat or it will take a long time to get the boat in the water. :o:o

Haha, witnessed this one myself at the launch today. Beautiful boat and the back of the truck was in the water trying to unload. Thought the truck was going down for sure! Finally pulled it out after a few minutes of tugging and guess what...those same exact tie downs, still doing their job! ;)

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

• 2 weeks later...