Seneca 5/24 P.B. landlocked w/ pics

I am not the best at getting out early in the am, but managed to make it out the door at 4:30am and was fishing before 7am (1.25 hr drive + some quick boat repairs). The bite was certainly a little better than my last couple trips which were in the pm. I started on the West side headed north running 2 lines off a port board and a leadcore down the chute. I had a steady enough pick of fish to keep me moving. It was a mix of salmon and browns with a pair of nice 4-5lb browns off the leadcore in the mix along with some shorts.

There was very little breeze early but a nice light south wind kicked in to provide some more cover and with the shallow bite slowing I moved out into slightly deeper water. I was marking lots of fish in the 25-35ft range out over 80-100ft. Just past a productive point, the leadcore bends over deep and starts screaming. As I grab the rod I see a splash 6 colors back and the fish goes on a screaming run through the remaining colors. I am new to the leadcore set-up and as I watched the last color spooling out I was seriously considering (doubting) my core-to-backing knot that I tied a couple weeks back while watching a "how-to" youtube video. With about 2 turns left he finally turned, and before I could relax he started running right at that boat. I furiously reeled to keep up and I finally got him all the way to the leader and once he spotted me he went crazy. He made a deep run under the boat, back up for a nice leap, a run towards my other lines and then finally tired enough to allow me to scoop him up in the net. I knew this was my PBest atlantic and the weight confirmed it, 8.75 lbs!! I know there are even bigger ones out there but I have been trying awhile (3-4 yrs) for a salmon over 8 lbs. I even considered keeping it for a mount, but decided instead to let him go which I feel good about. Now I'll have to aim for the 10lb mark, and if that ever happens its going on the wall!

I am working this weekend so can't participate in the Derby, but I wish everyone good luck! The big salmon today and all the bigger fish I have caught recently have been off NK 28s, chartreuse/blue, down in the 20-40 ft range.

P1000692.jpg

I clicked on the picture before I read your posting and thought ...."He's either a small guy or that's a REALLY DESCENT LL'....Looks like it was a really descent LL!! And from the fingers, too. We've caught some bigger Atlantics in recent years in the big O... They are happily starting to come on nicely there. But that is a seriously nice Salar anywhere :yes::) And yes, it would be great to see an even bigger one (10lbs.+) from the fingers...good luck with it...and post it!