Be Prepared

The experienced guys will already know this, but for the newbies it's time to plan. I have never seen a warm up like this lake temp-wise, or a hot/calm spell in May like this for that matter. There will be some significant adjustments that will need to be made. Shortly, the fleas will explode like never before. We are already dealing with gobs of moss in the west end. If you only have manual downriggers, it may really make sense to upgrade to electrics this season. Cannon balls and torpedo weights less than 12lbs will be less viable than in past years-I think you will see some historically deep fishing even in areas that don't usually have it.

The good news is, it should be worth it. A good crop of Salmon is out there, and their metabolism is cranked and they obviously grew more than normal over winter. All this warmth will create good blooms to feed the alewives and smelt, and the warm lake will take that much longer to cool down this Fall--continuing the growth trend yet another season in 2013.

The "good ole days" are now. Make memories this year and if you hook that high 40's King, land 'em!

:yes::yes: I say "Bring it!" That's what we've been waiting for. It was a fairly slow bite last week and most likely this week. Do you think the June lull and the thermocline will be setting up sooner as a result also? That would be a great side effect to these warmer temps this year.

Also on a side note.

I lost 3 inches of lake depth in the last 2 weeks on our shore line/coves. Typicaly the lake levels continue to RISE in May and peak in June. With no abundance of water coming down from the upper Great lakes and very little rain so far/dry-pre drought conditions Already starting. Now with these ULTRA-HIGH surface temps this early, this will make Surface area's on all the great lakes much more condusive for evaporation this year. Without alot of rain this summer I would guess a VERY SHALLOW level of lake & marina conditions to happen much earlier this summer. I can see 12" grass growing on my transom now in that 80 degree stagnent marina water this August !

Best of luck and being prepared is a good idea.

Jerry

REBEL CHARTERS

Great Post Capt Vince,

Thinking of 40 lb sharks makes me not want to be at work anymore.

Let us see them this fall!!! :yes::yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Capt. Vince... Motivates me to get out there and find them again instead of waiting for some new reports. Got spoiled in the first half of may...

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png