Lake Erie Eastern Basin Bite

fishkiller16

Nothing magical about the topedo weights compared to standard drop weights other than the aerodynamic design allows for less line out to achieve certain depths. The depth charts provided which help to design a spread are a bonus.

Nothing magical about the topedo weights compared to standard drop weights other than the aerodynamic design allows for less line out to achieve certain depths. The depth charts provided which help to design a spread are a bonus.

Gill-T thanks, I appreciate the response. I can see where the may be an advantage with larger torpedos for the deeper L.O. salmon, less so for the summer depth of Erie Walleye.

Chad, yep, I can see the value in the torpedo. I am getting hung up on the dive curve. In most cases, a .1 change in speed results in a 5 foot drop. So, at 60 feet down at 1.5 I am 138 back. If I drop to 1.4, the 138 puts me at close to 65. Now, this may be how my 3oz snap weight is working also. So, not sure. Even with my trollmaster, maintains a consistent 1.5 can be tough. As I move up and down the speed, I am wondering if I am spending less time in the strikezone.

Chad, yep, I can see the value in the torpedo. I am getting hung up on the dive curve. In most cases, a .1 change in speed results in a 5 foot drop. So, at 60 feet down at 1.5 I am 138 back. If I drop to 1.4, the 138 puts me at close to 65. Now, this may be how my 3oz snap weight is working also. So, not sure. Even with my trollmaster, maintains a consistent 1.5 can be tough. As I move up and down the speed, I am wondering if I am spending less time in the strikezone.

mark, if you think that is bad, imagine what your dipsys are doing, especially at the lower walleye trolling speeds and higher plane settings ;(

speed variation including inside/outside variation on turns causes significant depth variation. thats why you want to start well above the fish and then slowly work your way down to them

the nature of the beast with weighted presentations, however the vertical movement in the water column is what makes these rigs work

I just started using a musky torpedo in front of 200feet of copper for lake Ontario. The clip makes it really easy to detach with one hand.

Really easy way to get down to 70 or even 90 without a ton of copper out :yes:;)

Fished out of Barcelona Friday thru Monday. We picked the wrong time to hit it.. that area of the lake had just gone through an inversion. There were dead and dieing fish all over from the sudden change in water temp. We had to run out to 140' to find fish. We did catch fish each day, but not the numbers we're used to. 4 and 6 color leadcore behind boards pulling Renosky's and Chattersticks caught most of the walleye. Pulled a few lakers out of the depths for the smoker and got the ocassional steelie just to make things exciting with eight lines running! Of course the winds picked up a last few days to add to the excitement. I believe we were the only boat out there yesterday! Hopefully make it back out after things stabilize. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Chris:

Same conditions Saturday out of Dunkirk. Actually got a few walleye in 52 degree water. We moved

east and out, ended up pretty good and a 13lb steelie!

Sunday was a whole different story. We went 3/4 before we called it quits. Still bad temps.

Hoping it levels out...we go Fri/Sat.

Did have an interesting occurence Saturday....was on my phone standing in the back of the boat,

saw something out of the corner of my eye. First thought was big snake, but it dove around the cable,

went across the prop wash then I lost sight of it. Thinking in may have been a big lamprey,and

wondering if the cold water pushed it up..... And I was working, so you can't say it was cuz

I had a beer!

Go east of Purina to 80 ft to 70 ft out on the Canadian line a little further east and the water temps are in the 70's and everyone going there are catching numbers and size.Better off launching out of the Cat and going straight out to 70 ft.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Went 3 for 4 out in 62 FOW near the fence. Thought the bite was slow. Decent fish, a 6 , a 5 and a 4. All meat. We ran renosky hooks, but no dice. About 1.5. Rigger took the best fish, 2 feet off the bottom. Plenty of hooks, just few biters. Not too many goats today. Usual program, 3oz snap, 80 to 100 back. Orange double willow seemed to be popular. No play on watermelon or purple nurple.

Heard of a bunch of sub 20's out in front of the windmills on meat. Green was NOT the color. Chart and purple.

Also, spoke with a couple of bassers who picked up a bunch jigging on meyers in 30+ FOW. They are feeding on gobies. Nice to see.

I got out this morning with a few buddys out of the catt from wish to noon. picked up 1 walleye and dropped 2 others a few white bass, a few sheepshead and a perch. Didn't do good at all seeing how we were on a charter. We had plans on getting our limits and filling the freezer but instead we got 1 meal. We fished 60 for a few miles east of the catt. I might bring my boat back and give it a shot next weekend because i know I can do better on my own. As we heard on the was it was slow for everyone so I'm giving our captain the benefit of the doubt. oh well thats fishing.

We ran for fun today out of Dunkirk. Got 4 in dropped 3 plus a steelhead and a laker, in about 3.5 hrs of fishing. Most reports

we got seemed 5-6 fish was doing good. Hangover from the NE winds of last week, plus the near full moon. 3" chattersticks

were good for us today. 90 fow.

Nice work John. I ran some renosky stickbaits on Sat and was unimpressed. Usually they pop, but it may be the class of fish. I run the sticks outside of the windmills in buffalo, and they pop. Elsewhere, no dice. And I am finding watermelon harnesses, although tough to beat, and ending up on one rod for me. Pink and chart are getting play, especially with colored backs. Colorados, but smaller, like 5's

Mark:

We have had loads of silver bass this way this year, and running harnesses its sometimes tough to keep them off. Seems like the chatters have helped. We have been tipping some of them with a piece of worm. Last two years the 5" has been killer off the core...can't get that to go, but the 3" is going good. Some of the guys

have gone back to the regular crytallina renoskys (non chatter) and have been doing good with that. Also, rigger bite has been poor at best.

Waiting for September though...I think the perch fishing is going to be smoking!

John

We have ran harnesses all season were over 250 walleyes so far. We won the Amara-Can strickly running harnesses. My whole program has been 4oz Torpedos on mono and 5-10 color Leadcore. We have maybe caught 4-6 fish on sticks this year, and have fished everywhere from Buffalo to Dunkirk. And a side note my buddies that fished sunday 4 boats, 2 limited the other 2 came close, they were spread out from the Condos to west of the Catt. hammered them on 6,7,&8 color lead on harnesses also some picked up a few on riggers, their speed was 1.8-2.1 on gps. If anyone is fishing the Northern Chautauqua Conservation Club Tourney this weekend we'll see you there. Good luck all.

Fishkiller:

Heard it's been good that way.

If you don't mind sharing, in general, what's been your most productive water depth?

Most productive harness color?

John

Team 24 NCCC Derby

Good luck in the Con Club Tourney this weekend.70 flow on Canadian line off the Cat was good for me on Tuesday. Renosky cristalina natural perch with green glow worm,10 ft lead off #20 jetdiver in pink,2 ounce Gibbs weight 50 ft up main line out 135, on small boards,at 2.4 mph got us two limits 10 walleye to 9 lbs in just over 2 hours.I'm going to miss next 5 days,in Toronto for Caribana Festival with wife's Guyanese family & friends.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Finally convinced my 10 and 12 year old daughters to come a long a due some walleye fishing. Haven't been out for a month or so, and I would like for them to catch their 1st ever walleye. So, can you guys give me an idea as to were to go and what to use? Thanks,

Tony

Slapshot, absolutely. Good numbers, though smaller, eg sub 20 inch fish, off the windmills. Run meat near the bottom. Set up a spot and troll.

Otherwise, get some crawfish and work meyers reef. More smallies than anything, with the occassional walleye.

Run out to 62 or better feet, of the canadian line (fence) between abino and sturgeon. Get deep though, we were running a couple of feet off the bottom. Better fish 5+ lbers on harnesses (meat) at 1.5 in either watermelon or chart.

On channel 68 tomorrow for a few hours in the am. Good luck

We should of run to the deeper water but worked the 35 ft depth off the windmills. Good marks, no biters. Move to 45 feet by canadian line and same thing. Ending up smallie fishing on seneca shoal. 5 smallies, all 2 to 3lbers. Kids loved it! We were draggin jigs with full crawfish on em. They were smackin em. Ended up at woodlawn for a refreshing swim. Home by 1pm. And damn its hot!