Lake Erie Eastern Basin Bite

fishkiller16

For the first time in several years, we're still getting some good fish out of Dunkirk.

Had a trip Saturday where we only boated 6, but the group consisted of 4 kids and

1 adult and the kids had a tough time with the 10 color. We dropped 7 fish for sure

that were walleye.

Sunday, slow, but steady. Got 8 plus 2 lakers and 2 steelhead. Bonus was that one

of the last ones was 10lbs! 3' chattersticks in blk/silver or red/black off the 160 divers

and 10 color (with 2 oz) and a Yeck Buffalo Bill on a 68 ft rigger.

North-South troll in 82-95 fow.

Brad & I tried to get to the 90 ft by the wells from Crystal Beach this morning,was a little rougher then the forcast called for,had some 4 footers in the wave mix.We gave up after a good period of time working our way up the lake and stopped and setup off the Cat in 70 ft of water in canadian side of line.We could not troll into the waves or trawths because brads boat is low to the water,so we had to go with the waves at a NW angle.Could not get slow enough with the big outboard and no trolling socks.Had to settle on the electric trolling motor pulling along with the waves,1.7 to 2.2 mph up & down.We dropped two eyes close to the boat and caught a 4.5 lber,but the electric trolling motor batteries only lasted about 1 hour at full speed ahead.We gave up and went in after 2 hours of fishing.We could have done well I believe if we had a couple trolling sacks so we could have used his Optimax 135.All fish we marked were on or near bottom in 70 to 65 ft of water.The dropped fish and the one we caught came off dipsey #3 setting,6 ft leader,Renosky Cristalina Natural Perch,out 165 ft ,trying to keep speed to 2.2 mph.

A good launch is at Port Colborne. This time of year the stickbaits are needed as the perch and silver bass do a job on the worm harnesses.

Going into Canadian waters over the bridge is a good idea to avoid the Terrorism trouble guys.

When you cross over the Peace Bridge into Canada,you get the I-Pass for the boat,now you do not have to call imigration as long as you stay in Canadian waters.Took 10 minutes at the Peace Bridge,I have waited over 1 hour for a control number when calling after coming from the U.S. side to Canadian waters.Besides absolutely no more then 5 to 7 boats launch at Crystal Beach,Ontario,parking is right at the launch and the area is safe.$5 credit card parking machine,printed slip for dash.They check the lot hourly looking at parking slips,keeps theft to zero!

All thats incorrect. If you are running the canadian line, eg under power and not stopping, you should be ok.

If you stop in canadian waters, not intending to stop at shore, eg, yacht club, etc, you need to CANPASS. I have not waited for my canadian number for more than 1 minute. Very fast.

CANPASS 1 888 226 7277

Ok, running out of the small boat harbor on Sat. Have some friends out of town. No canadian licenses. Can I make the run to cattaragus deep water and back with no fuel issues. Pulling out of the harbor an issue. 52 gal tank, usually run 3200 RPMS...

I need to get these folks some fish.

Actually, coming over to canada BY LAND you go in and get the boat 'documented' at customs, meaning you have the boat registered with customs and get a slip of paper to show to authorities on the water if stopped. No need do anything when heading out, as long as you stay in CA waters. No idea what you do if you plan to cross over the line from CA to US while on the water.

Doesn't matter...high wind warning from SW this AM. Gonna hit the river instead.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Fished Sunday through Tuesday out of Dunkirk-with Sunday split between Dunkirk and Barcelona (ran down there on the water). I fished alone and each day had a 5 fish limit-with Monday in the rain the best day-6 eyes with 2- 8 pounders plus a 3 lakers and 2 steelhead. One of the lakers weighed 16.2 # and one of the steelies was 8.8 #. Except for the time I was fishing in Barcelona-I was fishing 8 1/2 miles ssw out of Dunkirk in 125-140 fow down 60-80". Dipseys and l0 color lead-adding 2 oz and taking off 2 oz to keep things changed up. 3" green (not perch) chatterstix worked best-not a bite (totally) on harnesses. Big steelie came on green/copper backed spoon. Tuesday there was a light breeze at the harbor-by the time I got to fishing grounds-waves were 3-5 feet (and some above) and the wind howling @ 18 knots! Had to work hard each day for fish-unlike last year when I had a limit in the boat by 11 am.

Walteye

And you can't say enough for a topset!

Walteye:

We haven't run worms the last 6 times out or so. Seem to prefer the chatters and spoons. Haven't tried the green, but

we did get the red to go. Hoping it lays out for tomorrow and Sunday.....

John

Nice day out there weather-wise. Went from 1 footers to almost nothing as the morning wore on. Fishing a little less so for us though. Lost one near the boat and another deep. Both on the chatterstix. Only a lousy silver made it to the boat.

Marked em pretty thick in 68 ft off pt colburne on the CA side a mile off the line. not much deeper or shallower.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Last Tuesday I had so many marks come up to the dipsey-I normally run a 15' plus leader to the lure-I pulled the slide diver to a 5' leader and 10' on the Walker-still wasn't getting the bites-just marks coming up to the divers. Any suggestions for the future? I tried tipping the lures with worm pieces and lure attractants-and the bite was still tough. The leadcore caught most of the fish (not all-some did come on the divers-but it was frustrating to watch).

Walteye

Last Tuesday I had so many marks come up to the dipsey-I normally run a 15' plus leader to the lure-I pulled the slide diver to a 5' leader and 10' on the Walker-still wasn't getting the bites-just marks coming up to the divers. Any suggestions for the future? I tried tipping the lures with worm pieces and lure attractants-and the bite was still tough. The leadcore caught most of the fish (not all-some did come on the divers-but it was frustrating to watch).

Walteye

sounds like the fish mood was lethargic-to-neutral. what specifically were you pulling on the dispeys? trolling speed? what surface water conditions? any board and/or rigger action or just the cores?

Gill-T

I was fishing my dipseys at a 1 setting-I could crank up or let down my dipseys and watch as they created a straight horizontal line in the water column. Are you telling me that they are not my dipseys? Yet I can crank them up/down and watch their movements? What were those lines then? If I am not mistaken-the cone angle gets wider the deeper you go-and fishing 60-to 80' down would give a pretty wide angle. When I run my downriggers at the same depths-I mark my cannonballs with the blow back. I didn't mark my dipseys at 40'=as the cone was still too small. I believe you are mistaken.

Walteye

Shorthanded-

I was pulling regular Renoskys-small and large Chatterstix-Bomber Long A-small and large Reef Runners-various size spoons-1- 8# eye was caught on a large chatterstix, all the other eyes on Tuesday were caught on lead core with the small green chatterstix. It was rough in the morning-but by 1 pm the lake had calmed down to 2' waves. I had 2 in the box by then-1 on lead and one on the dipsey- and then the dipsey bite turned off-and I just watched mark after mark be at the dipsey levels-whether it was my high or low dipsey.

Trolling speed was 1.8 to 2.4 mph-with surging due to waves. Tight turns made to speed up and drop lines-I was pulling 10 color on my boards all day with dipseys on the inside. On monday in the rain the dipseys had the most action-with eyes/lakers/steelies all caught. One steelie I caught on Tuesday came off the dipsey on a spoon-the other steelie came off the lead on a small chatterstix.

Walteye

Was thinking of heading to Barcelona this afternoon if the weather holds up. I haven't fished Erie since it flipped in July. Has anyone been out of Westfield this past weekend?? I heard it was good a couple weeks ago but has shut off again. Any reports from this past weekend would be greatly appreciated!!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Perch off the Catt. is unreal right now. 65' FOW. All pigs. Find the pack of boats and go to the outside. Interesting enough they are spitting up baby smelt, gobies and Zebra Mussels. Salted minnows worked.

I was talking about the walleye bite. Not really into perch fishing.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Ch. Tony, try the lake erie perch fishing if you haven't, its relaxing & fun when you get into the 12-15" fish. They fight good for their size & they taste as good or better than the walleyes! I have a firend who wasn't into them until I took him now he loves fishing them. Jm $.02.