Striper fisherman relocated to east side of Rochester

John

Penfield, NY

Home Port: Irondequoit Bay

Boat Name/Type: 14 ft alumacraft

I fish for: Striper, however since no striper here looking to learn to catch trout, salmon, walleye, etc.

=================

Since moving here from Georgia last summer I've fished a bit on the Irondequoit bay and recently on Canadice. I found this forum last summer and have been lurking since then, really enjoyed the posts and reports even though I'm not familiar with trout, laker or walleye fishing.

I'm 56 and retired from Kraft/Nabisco in Atlanta. Currently fishing out of my old 14ft jon but want to buy a 18-20 ft boat for trolling offshore, most likely later this fall when prices moderate. I had a 18 ft alum tunnel jet in Georgia but knew it'd be nearly useless up here so I sold it.

Just started fishing again this spring and really like Canadice, seems like a good place to familiarize myself with trout. I did well with bass but didn't do so well with trolling lead core, marked fish at 20ft over 40 ft bottom but couldn't get them to hit anything. First time I tried, going back soon with rapalas and spoons.

My real interest is in trolling Ontario for trout and salmon. I'd like to hook up with other retired fisherman in the area that can go during the week and can help me get up to speed on the lake and tactics. No sense in my buying a boat and equipment if I don't know what to buy? I'll pay half the expense and I think you'll find me very easy to fish with and a quick learner. I know there is a forum for requesting or offering trips, I'll post on there also.

If you see a guy in a Atlanta Braves cap, probably me. Also like the Yankees but with my accent it's not likely I can get away with a Yankee hat. :) Might retire the hat when Chipper Jones goes though. If you see me come over and say hello!

John

Welcome. How'd you wind up here? It's usually the other way around :)

I hear that a lot. My wife had a great job offer up here, I was tired of 7 days a week with Kraft/Nabisco and took a really good retirement and came with her to Rochester. Seems like a nice place, great fishing and hoping for at least one more winter than the last one!

PakJohn

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome Aboard John!! Great to Meet you and hope the new Riggers work out great for you, any ? just ask

Hi John! Thanks for the welcome and I'm really happy with the uni-trolls. They're a little big for my jon but they'll fit the next boat perfectly. I decided not to mount them on the bench as it's too low to be comfortable. I have a couple old aluminum pedestal seat mounts and have mounted them on top. They're up at chest level when I'm sitting and accessible to the driver or passenger. Looks a little odd to see down riggers on a flat bottom jon but it's temporary and I'm raring to get in the water.

A pleasure meeting you, let me know if you want to go to one of the inland lakes one weekend?

John

John,

Welcome to Rochester and Lake Ontario. 7 years ago I was in your spot having relocated from Augusta to the Rochester area. I just recently relocated to PA and am trying to sell a 2008 22' Trophy Pro. The boat is set up nicely for trout and salmon fishing. If you're inclined look in the "Classified" section of this website, I just reduced the price tonite! Boat is near you in Ontario, NY if you'd like to take a look or give me a call and we can talk about striped and/or trout and salmon fishing.

Welcome again!

Derek

(585) 317-3608

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

John,

Welcome to Rochester and Lake Ontario. 7 years ago I was in your spot having relocated from Augusta to the Rochester area. I just recently relocated to PA and am trying to sell a 2008 22' Trophy Pro. The boat is set up nicely for trout and salmon fishing. If you're inclined look in the "Classified" section of this website, I just reduced the price tonite! Boat is near you in Ontario, NY if you'd like to take a look or give me a call and we can talk about striped and/or trout and salmon fishing.

Welcome again!

Derek

(585) 317-3608

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Hi Derek, I was beginning to think I was the only southerner ever moved north. :) I used to play the back nine at the Gold Club in Augusta. My "in" went away in 1990, sure miss the front nine there.

Timing sucks for me, you're selling exactly the kind of set up I'd like but I won't be ready till this winter or next spring as there's a small chance we may leave Rochester this fall, if not I'll buy over the winter or next spring.

I'll call before the weekend, thanks for the note.

PakJohn