Poll-----LOC Derby Leader Board

REELJERKS

SHOULD ONLY CHARTER BOAT NAMES BE LISTED ON THE LOC WEB SITE??  

87 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD ONLY CHARTER BOAT NAMES BE LISTED ON THE LOC WEB SITE??

• NO ....ALL BOAT NAMES SHOULD BE POSTED
    • YES....ONLY THE CHARTER BOAT NAMES

What are you thought and opinions on the LOC web site only posting Charter Captains boat names????

PLEASE VOTE.......... AND POST YOU OPINIONS

E-MAIL I sent to LOC.

I placed the 5th place Brown Trout during the fall derby. My boat name â€Â

Mark thanks for bringing this topic up. Although late now for this season, I can't see any reason what so ever that rec boat names are not listed as well. It was stated that some boat names may be objectionable. That may be true, but this would be in the very minority and even at that if the the powers to be felt it questionable then remove THAT name. I called and talked to Dave about this over the summer. I had 2 salmon in the top 20 going into the last 4 days of the summer derby. I stated that I felt it not right to be listing the rec boaters names. Told him that boat name was HeavenBound and felt that is not inappropriate. He agreed but said that was their policy. I then told him that I have been fishing Lake Ontario for going on 30 years now. Been fishing the LOC and previous ESLO's along with the cash bash since their inception. I told him that this is one policy that needs reviewed and changed in my opinion. The at the oak site addressed this not to many weeks ago as well. It is the rec boats along with the charters that are somewhat supporting this derby. Any one likes to see their name on the board That is human nature. To be penelized at the expense of a very few is totally wrong I.M.O.

Winning 20 grand would be nice, but lets get a little realistic for a minute. The chance of winning it is extremely low. The motivation for me to get up at 4am and travel from Webster to Hamlin is definately not for the 50 bucks I would split w/ the guys on our boat just for making the board. I think most of us on this website would admit that being in the top 20 for a particular division AND seeing your boat name listed on the leaderboard is very satisfying after the challenge of going up against the whole southern shore of this lake.

We all love money, but being able to show off a little is nice too. Hopefully they(LOC) will put all names on or none at all.

BTW: Take the rec boats out of the equation and you might not even have a derby.

Just my .2 cents

I think the reason they only list charter boats is to kind of promote the charter boat business. I'm all for someone making a buck, but I don't think it's fair for me to promote their business with my entry fee monies. That's only my opinion. I'd like to see everyone's name listed. Like you say, it's a bragging rights thing. But the money's nice too. :D

Mark,

I agree that rec boats should be posted as long as the names are non-offensive. As some of the others stated, it's not the money it's the pride

of getting on the board of one of the premier derbies on the great lakes.

When it's all said and done there are probably more rec boats that fish the LOC than charters. Pride and business comes into play for the Charters, get your name on the board a few times and I'm sure your business will show the rewards.

Splitshot115

Mark,

I'd have to say that I'm in complete agreement with you, and, quite honestly, don't understand why anyone, including charter captains, would be against posting boat names. The only exception I can think of would be if the boat name was offensive in any way. If anything, I would think charters wouldn't want to have potential customers purusing a leaderboard where it is obvious that a good percentage of leaders might be recreational fisherman. Is it possible that charters pay a higher entry fee than you or I do? I am all for promoting fishing in this area, but also don't feel my entry fee should be used for charter advertising. I'm not sure how many of you are golf fans, but think about the US Open. Can you imagine if the amateurs' names were not listed on the leader board? Now - they do put an (a) next to their names. I am all in favor of somehow denoting charters on the leader board if that is the trade-off that is agreed upon.

Sponge,

The charter captains pay the same price as us rec fisherman to enter this derby. I see 7000 people entered the LOC Fall derby. I would love to find out how many of that 7000 were rec fisherman. If rec fisherman did not enter the LOC, the LOC would not be what it is today. Dave Chilson needs to rethink this. If he cares about his derby, he better listen us rec fisherman. Every person that voted for Rec names needs to voice there opinion also. Maybe Dave will read this and reply.

I cannot agree more with this posting... the stance taken by the LOC is very short sighted and is not targeting the true customers of the business (aka the average recreational fisherman). I can speak for any person willing to put in the time and money to fish these derbies for the chance to win something... the least that can be done is to be able to capture some glory in seeing your boat name. Typically, I am fishing with some friends during the derbies and generally do not even catch many of the fish, so my name likely will never appear on a leaderboard, although my friends have on my boat...

The LOC needs to come up with an amiable solution to benefit EVERYONE involved in making the derbies a success. The ability to highlight a charter in bold or red to differentiate from a rec is fine by me, but my money is as green as the charter money, just allow US the glory as well. And of course, the LOC should have the right to not publish a name deemed offensive by the staff prior to posting an update.

I agree with mark 100% he has every right as anyone else to have the name of his rig on the board.He pays the same fee as the charter captains and should have the same honor of having the name on the board.Mark great letter and reply.Great job on your 5th place finish also.

I'm in total agreement. Rec boats are deserving of their names to be mentioned along with the charter boats. I like the bold red idea for the charter boats, that's a very fair idea.

It's true....we want the recognition. There's nothing wrong with that. During the derby, our boat landed a fish that was going to be close to making top 20. It was fairly early in the derby, and we knew it wouldn't hold, but we had it weighed anyway figuring we'd at least be on the board for a day or two. Turns out we were like a half ounce short, or something like that....but had it made top 20 it would have been nice to see our boat up there on the board.

Rod Keyser

Lucky Enuff

Mark, I'd like to thank you & Steve for starting this board many years ago.

I agree that I'd like to see the boat name for all entrants making the leader board posted. However it is a private business & ESLO Promotions can do anything they want. If it's their way of thanking "sponsors", "supporters," "consultants", paying back charters for selling a lot of one day passes, or recognizing USCG capts., then it's their perrogative as it is a business decision.

However it does look "fishy" that only those guys can get their boat names posted. Although on the other hand it is kind of "interesting" to see some charters get creamed by the recs or some charter not even making the leader board. (i.e. obviously you know a rec beat them when the boat name above them isn't listed)

Tough dilemma. They want to do something for the "parties" that may or may not be listed above, yet not make it appear to the general public, that may not know better, that the derby is rigged. I'm not saying it is, but rather it could appear that way if the top 5 money winners had their boat names listed, star-ed or in colored fonts and the rest not.

Another question that could be asked is how did a rec get on the leader board with no name listed? Didn't he fill out his form completely?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I personally don't view my placements as beating someone else. Lets face it, this is not the format set forth as the Pro-ams where total numbers caught and weight comes into play. This is simply where the 1 heaviest fish per category places. So to say that a rec beats a charter in my opinion does not fit here. I had a friend who I had the honor to fish with before he passed away. He would be the first to say( and this is not to gloat) that on most occasions that I would out fish him by a 2-1 margin. But he always seemed to catch that one big king for each derby he would fish. Claiming very high honors for not only in the ESLO and Orleans Co at times, but winning an Orleans Co derby as well. So as others have mentioned, this derby is supported by many recs along with charters. At one time there were over 13,000 entrants. Those numbers are greatly reduced. Why would an organization give another reason for some not to participate? I realize that they the derby committee can do what they want. I'm self employed and know all about that. But if someone comes to me and makes a recommendation on how I can better the business. I'm all ears. Is this in the best interest of the derby? By the poll numbers, I believe not.

unkeljim;

No I never did get a response to the e-mail asking Dave Chilson why???

and I still wonder why?????????????????????

Chinook;

Nor do I think placeing beats someone else. We all know it's a matter of the right place.... at the right time with the right presentation and a lot of luck. :D