Options for some decent crawlers...

Mark Komo

gettin kinda toasty out ,the crawlers are out and most vonurable in the chilly nights(around first of may seems best )...they like to hook up in the cold..

get some good worm bedding and a insulated box...get worms,,ok this will take yer sharpest hunting skills,1 bottle of pain killers,LED LIGHT, them buggers can feel the heat of a good flashlight at 5 ft,(regular flashlight )..,,and ya need to be "Light On Yer Feet" (should be easy for you Mark.) :lol:

With the grace and skillfull manuvering of a :ninja: you can begin yer ASSult on them tasty slimy critters.. (opps its best when its dark out) 8)

Now that yer in striking distance look for the end furest from their happy collar (you know the do the dirty part)

You then with lightling reflexes (gonna be hard for you mark) ye grab them where they exit the ground...Now if ya overpressure your grip they just "POP"and ya done killed yer first worm ;( ,If ya mannage to get yer grip perfect the tug of war begins,ya need the paitence and tenacity of a Fox. OR yu ,you guessed it yyu just killed another one ;( .

After 2 hours and 10 heathy ,and 300 broken worms yer off to step 2.

I have a service call so i gotta go now..

PS NOW IS THE TIME TO START TAKING THE PAIN PILLS.

Will post part 2 if yer still in for this hudge money saving task.

20.00 insulated box

14.00 worm bedding

10.00 flashlight.

120.00 pain pills had to buy on the black market to save yer reputation with yer doctor

Hey ya could just buy some..Later My Friend..

Ray K.

I'll take the heat. I mostly (almost always) buy mine now. With a ceramic hip and lower back pains, it is just easier on my body. However, as a younger gent, I would have toured a park or cemetary just before dawn after a day of rain. Sometimes with the right rain, you can get them after daybreak and they are still moving. These are the best places and don't tell your friends. You can keep them in a fridge or bury a styrofoam container and place it in the ground (no direct sun). I dig my trout worms still but getting crawlers usually happens at the local Wally world.

I heard some people talking about this at work last week and they were talking two methods which I have never done. The first is placing an electric charge in the ground. And the second was pouring bleach on the ground. I guess both methods make them rush out onto the surface. The scientist in me was curious, however, I am a long way from trying it. When I was a kid and we had the dog days of summer, I would spy on robbins and when I saw one pick up a big crawler, I would rush it so it would be spooked and drop it. Kids have the most fun.

yea i discovered the mild cloranited water thing one year draining off some pool water after about 5 minutes of 1.25 in hose flooding a area of my yard they came shooting outa the groung like a sifi movie i put them in fresh water asap and rinsed and many lived till the hook ..but that area of the yard ant been the same for worms for years think i killed all the small ones.........not to mention the bleach sent that probly could be smelled by the fish...ant ran the 220 v out there yet..

If you belong to southtown walleye you can get a discount at Weekleys if you show them your membership card, well worth it imo. I use to pick my own also but no more. We use to pour sudsy dish washing liquid with lemon in it mixed with water on the ground anytime of day & the worms would just pop up out of the ground also.

the electric charge works great i use a old heavy gauged extension cord witha pair of squeeze clamps on each pole flip the outside electric off from the breaker and hook it up water a 5' area around the 2 poles i pounded in the ground go inside and flip the breaker on for a few minutes then " FLIP THE BREAKER OFF" and go out and pick them right up as there just laying on the top of the ground easy pickings they used to make a set up like this but i guess to many ppl was zapped due to not follow instructions just get the word out to the local kids dollar a dozen that they bring you

• 2 weeks later...

We get 500 count flats from a place called Hatch's Bait Shop, right accross the road from Leland's Pond, near Hamilton(Colgate Univ.)N.Y.

Big honkin' crawlers. :yes:

just water the lawn the night before you need them,

don't forget if they pull hard ready to break, you gotta give them a lil tickle.. they like there tummy"s rubbed..

come out unbroken every time.. pinch them at the hole too.

There are worms and there are select worms. They are from Dave's Bait in Evans for the guys heading out on Lake Erie.

For keeping worms over the summer, dampen them with rain water or distilled water. The chlorine in tap water is not good for your precious worms. Refrigerate them in a small refrigerator about 50 degrees setting, too warm for your beer.

i tend to have good luck overturning stumps in the woods/dry creek bed behind my apartment... usually each rock or stump i overturn is good for a half dozen or so...

As for keepin em fresh, i have a small mini-fridge that is dedicated to fishing bait only... its stocked with egg sacs all fall and crawlers all summer.

I like that small fridge idea. Easy to find and cheap. Just enough to take the chill outta a beer, and keep crawlers fresh.

Jimski, nice work. I like your stuff.

I second that. I already have a dorm fridge sitting idle. I can get the eggs out of the soda fridge too. Excellent idea!

THANKS!

thats exactly what i use. ever since i finished college about 4 years ago my dorm fridge has sat in storage and collected dust... last fall i had a ton of salmon eggs and was tying up a handful of sacs here and there... keeping them in the same fridge as my food 1)gave that fridge a funk and 2)alot of eggs got too cold and nearly froze since i keep my fridge set pretty high... The dorm fridge was perfect, i cleaned it up and brought it inside and use it just for fishin bait now...and maybe a 6 of beer. Noticed a slight bump in my electricity bill running 2 fridges, but its really not much of anything and well worth it.