Question about best set up?

For late June and July I am Planning on running two riggers, two wire divers ... What's your guys opinion about were I should put another two rods I was thinking two copper Riggs off the outriggers? 0r should i run two more rods off the riggers?What in everyones opinions would be the most productive.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

If the fish are deep, I stack 2 rods off each downrigger. There are many opinions on this board about this technique, But I started out this way back 20 years ago, before junk rods were all the rage.... I still believe it's the best way to put baits exactly where I want them.

Just my $.02

Hello,

Me and my brothers are planning to head north of Fort Frances to try for some lake trout. We only have a canoe and kayak, and so it would be nice to find a small lake to give a try. Also, we're staying on Rainy, and so the closer the better. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

stack one rigger with 2 rods and run one other deep rigger neer the bottom and use a copper line down the middle, just make sure you clear it out quick when the releases start comin. if they never start firing off, the copper with usually give you your bonus fish for the day or the only fish for the day. copper is a must have.

Not even a debate in my eyes. :P Purchase 1 or 2 copper rods and place them on the outriggers or big boards. This is extemely effective for a number of reasons but briefly, it spreads your setup out. The copper will respond differently as you turn which in my opinion is one of the reasons it works so well. Another option is you could purchase more wire diver rods and run 2 off each side. I think these 2 options are your best bet. If you purchase copper your going to want 300' plus to get to the fish. Longer the better especially later in the year. Okuma GLT copper/lead core rods really help with copper ;)

Not to disagree with others but I'm not a fan of running 2 rods off of one rigger because of tangles and you can run free sliders or cheaters which are just as effective. Good Luck

You got outriggers...use them for your copper. That is the best use of equipment you already have, not to mention quick and fun. Lure Speed changes dramatically with turns and rough water trolling to help trigger hits...especialy on spoons. Get a 600 and a shorter 300 or 400. You can run the 600 any distance and the 300,400 can be your middle ground. Keep the two at least 100 foot length apart.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

You got outriggers...use them for your copper. That is the best use of equipment you already have, not to mention quick and fun. Lure Speed changes dramatically with turns and rough water trolling to help trigger hits...especialy on spoons. Get a 600 and a shorter 300 or 400. You can run the 600 any distance and the 300,400 can be your middle ground. Keep the two at least 100 foot length apart.

Mark

Mark , will the outriggers with copper clear the dipsey with no issues?

Yes,using wire or braid divers, just don't run them long and wide. I do a ..5 on one side any length, and 1 setting on the other. You can go a max of 2 setting no prob but any more than that keep the length under 120.

I have 15 foot Taco outriggers with 5 ft between the mounts. 35 feet tip to tip separation. Run them high and back so your copper enters the water at the knot far behind your other sets and you will have no problems I set mine so the end of the riggers are even with the height of my 8.5 ft rods when in the T-top rocket launchers and angled back even with the stern. You may have to find a new anchor point for the rigger halyards. I use an adjustable bunge to get the tension set off my gunnel rails. I have a 600 30 lb copper, and 200, 300 45 lb. that work greatoff the riggers. Anything I can help you with I'll be glad to offer.

Mark

I tried copper/leadcore off the outriggers on my lund my last trip out and it worked OK. Since I have fiberglass outriggers I have rigged them with a tag line that runs from the outer end to the bow area of my boat to give them some extra support given the pull of a 300-400 copper. They caught fish . As Mark indicates I have dialed my wire dipseys back to a .5 - 1 setting to keep them in the slot between the riggers and the junk lines - but since they havenot taken any fish the last coupe of trips I cant say for sure if they are a tangle waiting to happen or not ;)

I do think that as the summer progresses and we go deeper I will likley go back to my big boards for the coppers and then be able to spread my dispseys wider

Ted

The Taco outriggers are very ridged and can handle anything from dipsy to copper. What I want to do is segment my 600 into 150 ft sections spliced by hollow core braid (no knots) and have my 300 segmented in 3 sections 100 each. Then I will have multiple lengths that are measured distance and a place to attach the release without damage to copper. I then will be able to cover any depth down to approx. 100 feet with just two junk lines.

One advantage of riggers is they will shine when boards are sinking in rough water. There are always the occasions where a fish will run rampant and tangle anything but as far as running true while trolling I never have an issue. Sometimes a fish will get under the copper and you will have to release it to do the reacharound firedrill with a buddy on board but that is the only real bother.

Mark

That would work too. I never tried rubber bands so I don't know what size you would use. I guess you could tighten the release up so it doesn't open on a hit and it would break the rubber band instead. Otherwise if the release were to open you would have the rubber band possibly wrapped on the copper until it came loose from the half hitch. The hollow core braid would be able to be twisted into a loop and placed in the release clip so that the rod could be loaded a little heavier to take up the slack of the angle out to the rigger end. Hollow braid is neat stuff with a smooth transition but needs a lot of time to put together, and some special tools. I think for simplicity the shrink tube and rubber band would be ok.