Species Breakdown: coho and steelhead

Hot Lure: NK 28 gator

Trolling Speed: 2.7 gps

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 260 to 350

Lure Depth: 30, 35, 40, 45

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

Took my friends Lois and Butch out for a day.

Went east of port and set up in 300 fow at a temp break visible on the surface. Called on 10 and got a down temp cause mine is still on the shelf in the store. Fellow fisherman said 47 degrees 45 down 260 fow. Ok so I haven't seen bait and any hooks I saw were high so I kept everything kinda high except a deep rigger at 70. Same program as the day before outriggers and copper, 200, 300...three riggers and two dipsy. The bite was a slow pick of coho and steelhead, nothing furious. Managed to get five fish to the boat, one was released unintended. This fish, a coho is swimming around free to tell a story of how to make a fisherman look foolish. It managed somehow to snag the port rigger lead off the ball trailing at 30 feet and thirty feet down after it took the 45 center rigger. Now I did what I tell myself not to do and try one more rod with a different offering to get a bite going earlier, and put down a wire dipsy on a 3 setting and run it next to another dipsy on a 1 setting. Not that it should cause a problem, but just to get one more rod in the mix that would somehow magically bring fish in the boat on a slow day....guess what..it gets tangled too! Now the fish gets in the net and Lois has the patience of a saint so she starts pulling the puzzle of line and wire apart and hangs the net with the fish off the back. As she lifts the net after ward it gets hooked on the ladder bracket on the dive platform and so she dips the net down to get it off and Mr. Coho swims away!...caused all that ruckus and then swims off! :lol:...oops...gotta go drive the big truck for a bit i'll finish this report with pics a little later....stay tuned :wait:

Ok, where was I....oh, so I'm sputtering about how many times I release fish in thirty seconds...and they float, gotta go git it. This one swims after hanging in the net 15 minutes :dull:...center rigger fires, I grab it and the goes limp. Leader broke, free slider gone too. The fish God loves me now :angel:

Ok, so last fish, cause I'm getting roasted, and stuff is happening, so let's get it in, ANOTHER TANGLE!...ARGH :headbang: fish is pulling drag, and is out 900 feet! Butch has the rod and it is bent really hard. Everything is out of the water and we start giving way to this tug of war. Butch is gaining line now, while I'm scratching my head. Fish wasn't that big :wondering:..."Butch...did you trade fish for log, or Walmart shoping bag?"...30 minutes later a 11 pound steelhead comes in....foul hooked above and behind the pec fin. :thinking:...can it get any better than this....for laughs?

imagejpeg_2_79.jpg

free image hosting

Prepare to launch

imagejpeg_2_75.jpg

image host

Butch fighting the "walmart bag" :lol:

imagejpeg_2_78.jpg

image hosting

The Walmart bag :rofl:

IMAG1092.jpg

image hosting adult

Catches of the day!

Mark

====================

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Great report! Were you running your short dipsey the farthest towards the front of the boat? Did you have at least 100ft difference between the two dipseys? If yes, then you may be taking some crazy sharp turns?

Floaters have been bad this year and will only get worse as the water warms and the fish move deeper. Our boat is too high to hold the fish in the water and almost lost a net once trying what you did :) We keep a lot of fish especially if on copper or dipseys.... friends and coworkers will always take fresh fish.

It was just the fish Nick. It took a hard left off the corner rigger back 30 down 30. Went 60 ft left and got the dipsy wire on a missile launch.

Ray, thanks dude for making me feel better about age related failures...HEY, who you sayin is old?...when I get there I'll let ya know how bad it is but, right now its just a loss of youth and skill....testosterone, hair (on my head)..what else? :thinking:......oh, yeah memory...vision (not the future...I can see that)...continent retention......uhhhhh...ohhhhhh, Mr turtle

Mark

Sounds like a fire drill for sure. Just maybe a video on your next trip out, of the do's and not to do's :rofl:

Still ended the day better than some I am sure, Remember the DRUG IS THE TUG or the tug is the drug :rofl:

Take care old friend

Stan, yeah....never ever let a fish get foul hooked ....did you know they swim sideways and tangle everything?....geese who woulda thought :dull:

f1sh-On...I'm with ya man, it was slow out there and even the deep water was pretty bleak. There were some marks on the bottom 270 down. No idea what they were.

f1sh-On...I'm with ya man, it was slow out there and even the deep water was pretty bleak. There were some marks on the bottom 270 down. No idea what they were.

Probably kings laying on the bottom just waiting....

On the positive side Mark,you got all fresh leader and knots..Hey with those hudge waves (6in chop) it could happen to anyone..the way i see it,, the only way it could of been worse ,,was if Stan was with you and ya woulda lost yer balls..rigger balls of course. :lol:

On the positive side Mark,you got all fresh leader and knots..Hey with those hudge waves (6in chop) it could happen to anyone..the way i see it,, the only way it could of been worse ,,was if Stan was with you and ya woulda lost yer balls..rigger balls of course. :lol:

Ray-Being Polish American like you are, I can understand your confusion between the two :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Speaking of balls, I did have the port...left one drop right in my hand and had a release.....fall off in the lake

Fish God really loves me......was...no... Stan wasn't there, or was he :thinking: