Chaumont Bay Walleye

Chas0218

Anyone catching eyes in the bay still? I was up there over memorial day weekend and saw some guys out trolling shallow in the bay but I figured they were picking up bass and pike. I went over to the ithmus between 3 mile bay and the penninsula caught a lone brown but no eyes. With the mater temp I would not be surprised if they have moved out to genedier or fox island.

We fished between the ismus and the head of point peinsula and picked up a few eyes and a couple browns. Bigest eye was 10 lb and bigest brwn about the same. There was a ton of weeds in the water which made it real tough but the graph was showing tons of bait and fish so we stuck it out. I would have to say that the fish are there and you have to stick it out until they turn on, witch some times seems to be in the afternoon up there. We picked the eyes between 28 ft and 52 fow. We caught them on the same baits that you would use earlier in the season, but with much longer leads. Good luc and its nice to see some people post reports for that area, since i dont get up there as much as i would like and it seems nobody wants to share any info when it comes to walleyes. Pass it on !!!

Ya no one likes to share any info which is discouraging. I fish it a lot and in the past have done great and can locate the fish pretty easily but with my father-in-law putting me to work and not being on the water much it has been tougher to find the eyes. That and they are moving out of the bay really fast. We would catch them in front of Shangrila on memorial day weekend but they have already moved to the isthmus. This weather is crazy right now. I was spin casting off F-I-L's dock and caught a nice 10" rock bass and another 2.5lb largemouth. The weeds are horrible right now, I think it's becuase of the boat traffic.

Glad to see other people on this site feel the same way I do about NO ONE will share info about the walleye fishing. I was going to go with the PRO plan but with no one willing to share any thing about walleye I decided to back out, sad all the talk about salmon nothing about walleye. I belong to a web site (walleye.com) those guys will tell you anything you want to know.

This is the first season of fishing Black River Bay for me after fishing Oneida for years. I fished the north side of Black River Bay on Memorial day afternoon just after the storm. From Pillar to Everliegh. I marked some good fish in 27-32 but couldn't get a taker except a couple perch. I was longlining Trolls to 20's with snaps and Bottom Bouncing a spinner/Trigger-X. I wish I had a camera to check if the marks were Walleye or Pike. I've caught a ton of Pike/Bass in BRB but the Eyes are really tough for me to figure out.

Out in the main basin (60 FOW) There are still large schools of baitfish showing up on the graph but the large schools of heavy marks I was getting a couple weeks ago have diminished by about 70%. I don't know what they were because I didn't get a hit out of those schools. Most of these large marks were topping at 36 going down to 55 over 60FOW. I did manage a 40in Northern out there....weird got her 20ft down over 60......Maybe thats what those schools of large marks were???? Again, Im having a tough time on Wallyeys here...for the amount of time I've spent trolling I feel like I shouldn't be empty handed on eyes out there frankly!

Please note the date on these images and again, these large marks have diminished significantly but there are still some there. Again, the fish I marked on Memorial day were near bottom between 27-32 but were not taking my offerings....perhaps the storm put them off???

S00122.jpg

S00115.jpg

This is the first season of fishing Black River Bay for me after fishing Oneida for years. I fished the north side of Black River Bay on Memorial day afternoon just after the storm. From Pillar to Everliegh. I marked some good fish in 27-32 but couldn't get a taker except a couple perch. I was longlining Trolls to 20's with snaps and Bottom Bouncing a spinner/Trigger-X. I wish I had a camera to check if the marks were Walleye or Pike. I've caught a ton of Pike/Bass in BRB but the Eyes are really tough for me to figure out.

Out in the main basin (60 FOW) There are still large schools of baitfish showing up on the graph but the large schools of heavy marks I was getting a couple weeks ago have diminished by about 70%. I don't know what they were because I didn't get a hit out of those schools. Most of these large marks were topping at 36 going down to 55 over 60FOW. I did manage a 40in Northern out there....weird got her 20ft down over 60......Maybe thats what those schools of large marks were???? Again, Im having a tough time on Wallyeys here...for the amount of time I've spent trolling I feel like I shouldn't be empty handed on eyes out there frankly!

Please note the date on these images and again, these large marks have diminished significantly but there are still some there. Again, the fish I marked on Memorial day were near bottom between 27-32 but were not taking my offerings....perhaps the storm put them off???

S00122.jpg

S00115.jpg

what colors are you running? I have had most of my hits on black back silver body Rogues and Black prizm thundersticks (no longer made.)

ive been looking for info on this area for months. im also an oneida walleye guy looking to get into the eyes in june up there before theyre all out deep. i know the marina in henderson holds a derby in june so there must be eyes there still! and the flw tour was there i believe. i have one more person to ask about the area before i try up there this week. one tackle store,hechen marina i believe didnt reallt talk to me. the other one in town told me the browns were on fire and eyes were still being taken from shore. this was 11 days ago. im going to scout this weekend and try to start fishing next week up there. i have zero info besides the hot spots map and navionics chip.

if i learn anything ill be the first to share because the henderson area seems immune to info on the net

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Gators

This place is tough on first year fisherman for walleye IMO. I'm going to try the outer edges of Chaumont Bay heading out into the lake. I'll post a report but frankly my confidence is not too high. I went to Oneida last week just to make sure I wasn't suddenly the worst Walleye fisherman in the world LOL! I was reassured, catching fish in the heat of the day in 15 ft of frothed up boat waves with Jet ski's flying by.......

I think Henderson, Black and Chaumont require you to be on that water more than a weekend fisherman or have had several years in the area or be a pro or close in order to reliable locate and catch fish consistently here. However, I'm willing to put in the time for the opportunity to contact 5-12lb fish...

Here is the Northern I was talking about. I'm not complaining about this fisherey at all as I have caught my largest Walleye, SM and Northern here. They are as follows 29in Walleye (out of Black River, not the bay), 22in SM (pig) in the bay. and approximately 40 in northern (pictured) in the bay

photo.jpg

I fished Chaumont bay once a few years back and it was just a stop on the way back from St. Lawrence. I wished I had spent all three days there. It is a beautiful bay. I know it is unlikely that I will make it back there for spring (post spawn) but I am thinking September/October when the water starts coooling rapidly and the fish start feeding heavily would be a good time to return. I would love to fish for walleye and pike, switch over to bronzebacks, then maybe take my pinning gear and chase some Kings. A fantasy - maybe. I always have said my best fishing trip is the one I have the night before in my sleep. 1st step is getting my wife to let me go for a few days.

I will definitely post, hopefully something valuable...

Tugger :yes:

I fished Guffin Bay yesterday from 10am till 6:30pm. Trolling plugs and spinners. Got skunked on Walleye again. I wanted to hit the north shoreline from Cline's Pt to Shangri la as I have heard this area is good but the wind came up and forced me back to the south shore. Picked up a bunch of Perch and small Smallies trolling the weedline as well as a 22in Drum jigging off Marsh pt. but another zippo trip on eyes. If someone in the know would kindly lend a hand here it would be much appreciated as I'm obviously not fishing the right areas. Trolling spinners in 15-30ft of water for a combination of 12 hours between the last two weekends should have produced at least one fish IMO. I'm lost!!!!

I would have to say that you should be fishing out toward the open lake. Some where by the head of pt. peninsula by the double boat house, middle shoal, infront of hidden harbor, istmus or as far as fox island. When the water temps heat up most the fish are long gone out of the bays. I have been fishing for these walleyes since i was 15 yrs old and my grandfather was one of the fist people to start trolling for them. The walleyes up there are not like most walleyes elsewhere, they are a breed of their own, always moving. Fish are probly anywhere from 20-60 fow and they are soon probly going to want the summer baits with more action, reef runner, coton cordels, ect. with a much longer lead up to 250ft. and the in line planer boards out as far as 150-200 ft. from the boat. I hope this might help you out and i hope to be up there soon.

Just got back from Chaumont Bay, perch were good 25 of 30 feet of water. Half to weed thur the small ones and gobys to get some nice size ones. Seen guys picking up sheephead in bay. Heard of browns out off the hidden harbor area, We fish black river, Jig head and worm for walleyes, but all were to small to keep right around 15 inches. rockbass and sm. bass were around the edges. Hope to be back for fathers day weekend.

Joel

try to add some pics later

I would have to say that you should be fishing out toward the open lake. Some where by the head of pt. peninsula by the double boat house, middle shoal, infront of hidden harbor, istmus or as far as fox island. When the water temps heat up most the fish are long gone out of the bays. I have been fishing for these walleyes since i was 15 yrs old and my grandfather was one of the fist people to start trolling for them. The walleyes up there are not like most walleyes elsewhere, they are a breed of their own, always moving. Fish are probly anywhere from 20-60 fow and they are soon probly going to want the summer baits with more action, reef runner, coton cordels, ect. with a much longer lead up to 250ft. and the in line planer boards out as far as 150-200 ft. from the boat. I hope this might help you out and i hope to be up there soon.

Bettie anne

Thanks for the help! If you see a grey Lund MrPike 16 with 90 Merc say hello!

Its not hard to find the walleyes down there if you go down that way very often just look for all the boats ., not so much the guides but locals like i said if you are there very often you will start to reconize who is fishing where its no different than ice fishing , to start with go where the crowd is and work away from there i always figured that was always a starting point, most people that have payed there dues aren't gonna cough up to much info , i don't fish down that way that much but just from the few times i have and what i have read on a few fourms it wouldn't take but a trip or two to figure things out. Good luck and hope this helps.

Mhtrapper

The only time I have seen a lot of boats out there was on opening day weekend and about half that amount the weekend after. The last couple times out there have only been a couple boats fishing besides myself. Many times in the late fall I was literally the only boat out there, but I fished up to the weekend before Thanksgiving and I was having a bonanza with bass/pike but it was cold! Frankly though, without a lot of explanation, I'm not a boat chaser. I am willing and want to pay my dues to earn the opportunity to semi consistently locate eyes here. If I lived closer to the lake and could get out more than weekends it likely wouldn't be as bad for me as it's been. For one, while things may look fine in the forecasts, a lot of times the forecast calls for 5-10mph winds and when you get out there it picks up to 15-20 or more and I have to move to protected areas. This area seems to take about 10 minutes to go from manageable waters to very rough. This has proved to be a blessing in disguise at times as I've found some great SM bass locations getting forced into protected spots. It seems I learn something new almost every time I go out so the process is moving forward. However, I've fished a lot of what you'd call "classic" structure oriented spots out there and got zippo for eyes, but again, REALLY big bass and plenty of them. The search goes on!

Last I knew they were fishing from clines point towards the Isthmus in 30-60 fow. Like said earlier there are a lot of old timers (no offense) that know the walleye migration better than the back of their hand and if you find 4 or 5 boats trolling the same area it is usuallly for walleye. After the Ithmus area they normally migrate out to fox and grenedier island. I think you need a Canadian fishing license for grenedier. After they leave the Ithmus we generally start bass and perch fishing. In July it isn't much to catch 40-50lbs. worth of perch. The bass fishing has been quite grim over the past 3 years but when you catch some they are slobs. We caught 4 5lb+ Smallies in a few hours worth of fishing one day. I am looking for that 6lb smallie for my wall.

Last I knew they were fishing from clines point towards the Isthmus in 30-60 fow. Like said earlier there are a lot of old timers (no offense) that know the walleye migration better than the back of their hand and if you find 4 or 5 boats trolling the same area it is usuallly for walleye. After the Ithmus area they normally migrate out to fox and grenedier island. I think you need a Canadian fishing license for grenedier. After they leave the Ithmus we generally start bass and perch fishing. In July it isn't much to catch 40-50lbs. worth of perch. The bass fishing has been quite grim over the past 3 years but when you catch some they are slobs. We caught 4 5lb+ Smallies in a few hours worth of fishing one day. I am looking for that 6lb smallie for my wall.

Chas0218

Yeah.......I know!!!! Like this one????? I was by myself so the picture is not that great....a little tough to take a good one from your cell....this gal was a hog!

How are the launches at Isthmus harbor and Hidden Harbor? How much $$$. Thanks.

22_SM.jpg