Memorial day rock bass

Ronnie D

Not an easy pic to tell but I would say that the shape of the body from the dorsal back is definitely more sunny like. Smallies that length, unless stunted severely, would have a more gradual body slope to the tail. In fact, they probably look more like a chub at that length. Fish id for Rockies isn't a common problem. I would take Xingtau's word on it.

seeing the white on the bottom, and no red eyes, and the smallies are in... caught plenty of 12 inch bass, and u r right, ID is not a common problem with rockies... so why am I questioning it? no big deal.. huge rock bass at sodus if u want some..

good fishin

ok 2 on 1 need a better pic Xingtau, no doubting you I am sure you know, being the fisherman

either way nice fish... there are some big rockies out there, do you guys eat them.. I did way back.. not now though

I eat them and they are fun to catch. Many a time I have been fishn smallies and a huge wack on my bait gets me all excited only to find it is a rocky. IMO: They fillet the easiest of all the sunfish and they also seem to give thicker filets too. some people treat them like pumpkinseeds like they are some neusance . I like them.

Looks like a rocky to me. I should know I caught 300+ in 5 day from Sodus to port to little Sodus. Threw most of them back keep a little to eat. They are very good to eat. I was catching big one too, bigger than ever. I'm sorry to say that the smallies were non-existent. We did hammer the large mouth big ones 5 ponders! Were are all of the smallies? Some guy that were fishing beside us said that they have a disease and are dieing. Anyone fish for rockys on the big lake? Great times now I'm ready for salmon.

Rockies are OK to eat, but can't compare to sunfish, bluegills or perch, IMHO..

They tend to be bland in flavor and soft in texture... I much prefer smallmouths to rockies....

My buddies and I call them twirlers..You set the hook on one and he fights pretty good for the first few seconds, and then he gives up and comes TWIRLING up to the boat...

All that said, I mean no disrespect to them...They are willing biters and not bad eating ...

I would much rather catch and eat rockies than to get skunked..