Second Anchor

jj7leaf

I need to pick up a second anchor for perch fishing at cetain times, my question is what type?

My current anchor holds great as long as I let out 2x the depth, if I go under that I drag if wind/waves kick up.

so what are good short rope anchors for holding the rear from swinging?

Do I just need to go HEAVY?

jason

A 3 or 4 foot length of heavy chain on the anchor may help. If the rope is too short the anchor pulls up and does not dig in. A heavy chain will put weight on the front of the anchor and stop the rope from pulling it up and it should dig in better with less rope out.

For an anchor to hold , you need at least the minimum of three times the depth of the water. So get more anchor line, 100 feet of 3/8 poly rope weighs very little and is easy to pull. Two separate bow anchors can keep you from swinging somewhat as long as the wind blows steady from its direction. A stern anchor will help somewhat but you need to get up and down over your bow anchor especially when it digs into the mud. When we anchor up in Lake Erie in 70 foot of water, at least two hundred feet of line is needed. The guys without it have some fun meet and greets with their neighbors when the lines get tangled up in your dragging anchor line.

I appreciate the help guys however...

I know how to anchor and I have enough rope onboard, I have chain on @ anchor, when I say 2:1 I am only talking minimum holding length of line out. With my anchor and my boat (19.5 fishmaster) I can "get away" with 2x depth as long as things don't get too hairy. I would not try that with others around, I can only imagine how bad things could get.

Jim, I guess I see where you are going with the two anchors off the bow, that would eliminate the need to have double the rope on the bow to get back to where you would need to set a stern anchor (an additional 200' behind you....) before motoring back to your intended anchoring position.

So as far as a second anchor holding your swing for perch fishing, is there a type of anchor that will hold fairly well without the same 3:1 rope treatment? Possibly a mushroom style that is heavier than the rating for your boat?

thanks again

j

• 3 months later...

I have an 18 ft Alumacraft Dominator and use a 30# 3 petal anchor, with about 4 ft of chain. This seems to work real well unless like you say it "gets hairy". But that usually ends the enjoyment of fishing so I head in. 2-1 usually works pretty well for me but I do most of my fishing on the finger lakes so I don't have the Erie waves to deal with. I also have a secondary 12# anchor but rarely use it. The 30# is a bear to haul in from deep water a bunch of times a day, but it seems to hold. Hope this helps.

DJ

I need to pick up a second anchor for perch fishing at cetain times, my question is what type?

My current anchor holds great as long as I let out 2x the depth, if I go under that I drag if wind/waves kick up.

so what are good short rope anchors for holding the rear from swinging?

Do I just need to go HEAVY?

jason

No you don't need heavy. My father-in-law laughed at me when I showed him my anchor. You need a danford anchor. Mine only weighs 10lbs. and holds my 23' Ocean boat without any problems. I let out about 1.5x the depth and it catches. Make sure and use a chain in front of the anchor line about 2' is all I use.

I use a Navy Anchor and fish in pretty much anything, 3 to 1 is tough when fishing deep, your boat will move a ton. I use a 20 and a 30 lb when rough and also use an anchor wizard, no problems with the weight of the anchor and never have to put more than 2 to 1 out up to about 60 fow, 6' chunk of 5/16" chain also !!

Tom

fished st pt three ago in two to three footers i have 18 ft trophy with a 12 lb anchor we were fishing 68 ft we use 200 ft of rope stay anchor all day with no prolbem 2ft of chain and a good claw anchor just like jimski said we caugth perch all day long john OUT :yes::yes::beer::beer: