Fish Finder cleaning/GPS power cord issue

camomanbg

Two part post...

1) Any suggestions for cleaning the screen on the fishfinder? It looks like finger smudges but they don't wash off. You can scrub it off with a fingernail and some elbow grease though. It's only bad when the sun is hitting it just right, but it's annoying.

2) We have a Garmin GPSMAP 182c on the dash and the multi-pin power chord that screws on the back is fine but the collar that it locks onto is broken and the connection won't hold on its own. Garmin says they don't make that part anymore so the only option is to buy a new unit. Not an option right now. I noticed a friend unplug his bowmounted trolling motor and the connection looked the same. I was thinking about plugging it in, then using a "plastic weld" glue to hold it on there, then splice a new connection inline. Think it's safe to try a plug like I saw on my buddies trolling motor? Does anyone know where I can get a power cable for a Garmin?

From the humminbird website:

What products can be used to clean my display?

Humminbird recommends using Windex® Vinegar Multi Surface(in the spray bottle).Do NOT use any wipes products (which can also be available as the brand name Windex Multi-Task).

The lens contains a special coating which improves visibility. It is recommend to use the above cleaner because we have tested and proved this cleaner. It does not deteriorate the coatings on the lens.

Can't help u with the Garmin tho...

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Thanks Nitro! I've read that on Humminbird and other websites, but the Windex doesn't do the trick. It just moves the streaks around. I was hoping there was some oddball secret hiding out there that someone could shed some light on.

I seem to recall an article in GLA on cleaning electronics screens that suggested Maguires cleaner and then using maguires mirror glaze #17 - I have a small bottle of some stuff that came with my new glasses that does a nice job on the screen of my lowrance

I would be careful of that method on HBs, as there is a coating on the screen and without reading the article or knowing that much about any coating on lowrance 'finders, whether or not it would be safe in this case,but when I hear 'polish' I start to get concerned.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

you might want to trythe top quality eyeglass lens cleaner which is made for CRIZAL anti-glare eyeglass lenses.get a small bottle from an optician or optometrist and try it on a very small portion of the screen.just use a small amount and wipe with the cloth that comes with the bottle. good luck. jeff