Seneca Lake Derby

Well after a 1200 mile trip and only 3 days of pre fishing of which one was a skunk all went well for the derby.. We ended up placing my fatherinlaw norm saltsman in 5th place in the brown trout division !!! and we had fun fishing with our team AND WE DID IT ALL OLD SCHOOL BIG BOARDS FLAT LINE AND GOOD LURE CHOICES IN FRONT OF THE FISH ...We didnt boat 30 or 40 fish a day nor did we fish from sunrise to sunset ..what we did was fish old school and tried to keep the dinks to minimal numbers .. it was a derby numbers were unimportant . Quality on the other hand wins derbies ... HAD A GREAT TIME AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL THOSE WHO FISH NEXT YEAR ... :beer:

mmmmmpf mmmmmpfff mmmpffMMPFFF,

Well ant you something ,,be carefull Ive heard you can dislocate yer arms pattin yer back so hard.

Thanks for the report, boy you shure put those pros in their place. Ill bet all those guys ,you know the pros.

Were trying to get small fish so some well deserving person like you would SMOKE the field.well done ..

OH AND HEARD ONE FELLOW ON THE RADIO ALL THE DERBY WHO HOOKED NOTHING SMALL AND WHO NEVER HAD A 5 MIN PERIOD HE WASNT HOOKE TO HIM I SAY BULLCRAP AND LEARN HOW TO MAKE THE STORY BELIEVABLE

NEVER SEEN SO MANY SO CALLED PROS LEAVE SP FRUSTRATED MAYBE NEXT YEAR THEY WILL LEARN IF YOUR RODS ARE LOADED UP WITH DINKS THEY ARENT OUT THEIR HUNTING THE BIG ONE ARE THEY :P :P :P:beer:

WOW! Many of the Pros consistently post reports with quality information, that has helped me and many on this board.

OH AND HEARD ONE FELLOW ON THE RADIO ALL THE DERBY WHO HOOKED NOTHING SMALL AND WHO NEVER HAD A 5 MIN PERIOD HE WASNT HOOKE TO HIM I SAY BULLCRAP AND LEARN HOW TO MAKE THE STORY BELIEVABLE

NEVER SEEN SO MANY SO CALLED PROS LEAVE SP FRUSTRATED MAYBE NEXT YEAR THEY WILL LEARN IF YOUR RODS ARE LOADED UP WITH DINKS THEY ARENT OUT THEIR HUNTING THE BIG ONE ARE THEY :P:P:P:beer:

^^^^ This isn't "CoalBuffer" in disguise is it :lol:

no im not angery at all and lived on the lake for years just tired of all the gods walking the water ,,, boated 30, 40 or more hell we had a great time and yes we patted ourselves on the back for sure ... just tired of all the bull until it conts and then they couldnt bring it ,,not to mention all the bull ahhhh we just lost a 10 at the back of the boat never saw it but it was huge hell if i could weight a fish whithout catching it i would realy pat my back .....

I find this post rather amusing :lol: . It appears that Pokepole39 has figured out the so called "pros", as well as all of the other guys and girls that frequent the LOU!!!! As a so called "pro", using modern techniques and technology, I also placed several of my clients on the leader board. We so called "pros", and those who enjoy this site, have not lost sight of what fishing is all about. As a middle aged "pro", I CONTINUE TO LEARN from the young guy's and the old timers. As "pros", we do not concern ourselves with showing our clients the "secret spot", the "secret lure or bait", or the "secret technique". In contrast, we show and share all of this information daily :yes: For the "pros", fishing is about consistently putting fish in the boat(hogs or dink's), and smiles on the faces of our clients. As a "pro", I had a memorable weekend on the water, putting smiles on the faces of my clients, friends, and family. I shared information, and received information. At one point, one of my clients said "you bring this one in". My response, "take the rod"!!! This particular client had a recent bout with cancer. He and his buddies charter was on my tab. The moral of that is its not about the money either! It is apparent that you have lost focus on what fishing is all about :no::no:

Based on your own thoughts and words, (QUOTE: "Well after a 1200 mile trip and only 3 days of pre fishing of which one was a SKUNK all went well for the derby", and "We didnt boat 30 or 40 fish a day like some run their mouths about on this site"), perhaps a few words of advise to get you back on track......

"Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger." - Herbert Hoover

Congrats on your winning finish...and I mean that sincerly :yes::yes::yes:

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and a while.

I am also curious how your old school lures only allow large fish to hit them? If that is the case, you my friend have a lure all of us conservation minded anglers would love to switch to, to preserve our fishery. Please share it with us.

Hookjaw :yes::yes::yes::yes: He said it better than I can. I hope you need help some day on the Lake Pokepole 39. The list is a mile long of guys on this site that know they can call me for fising info any day of the week, and they are not charter Capts. I dont know what charter Capts you could hear on the radio we were on the phone :P to much crap on the radio. As for the good brown good job :yes::yes: My clients had several Browns in the 5 to low 6 lb range, some of them would of been weighed in as Bows at Sampson if I dindn't correct the folks at the scales :lol: . ( any one else have that problem?) Just sounds like you have a problem with charter Capt or the LOU crew. Boat Reel Hooked Up Capt Sean Brown

pokepole, congratulation for placing on the board. But as far as putting down pro boats I think you crossed the line. We have clients to entertain so yes numbers for us is a good thing. All 3 of my clients was on the board until monday when they got knocked off. I know i'm one of the biggest guys on the lake who shares info. Heck my driver was answering my phone and helping out all the guys who called giving them lures, depth and even location, as to where we were fishing so other can enjoy catching fish just like my clients did all weekend. we never caught anything under 6lbs. When I got back to the dock saturday I had a guy come to my boat tell me he was struggling to catch fish. Do you know what this pro guy did? I took the 5 best lure that was catching fish on off the spoon rack and handed them to the old guy and said try these. That guy called me sunday and said that was the 1st time his family caught more then 20 fish on a trip. once again a pro boat helping someone out.

If you was fish oldschool I didnt see anyone with bamboo rods and yarn out there.

I think Mr. Pokepole just likes to type sarcastic stuff to get people fired up, then sits back and giggles. I've read many posts from this guy that are just b.s. , but never any good info. He's ok with asking questions, and getting advice from the "pros" , and now wants to slam them. It's amazing how a 5th place fish can so quickly inflate an already oversized ego. Imagine the level of self-congrats this guy would b demonstrating had he placed a real lunker.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

opps almost forgot some one on my boat finished in the money 4 out of the 11 times i fished the derby,maybe ill start bashing them multi fish catchers,opps a few years back that was me :o ...ive only fished seneca a few times in recent years due to playing on the big pond,so i kinda like hearing catching is as easy as it was back in the day..Ive handlined copper,ran the jugs. even sat and done some no brainer bobber fishing and lost a few derby fish on the seth greens..,,If ya ever had a big laker come to the back of the boat on hte fingerlakes you would know they dont like the net heading their way and find some extra energy the last few feet ,as some of us new guys say they dont get big by being stupid..Yes im shure a few fish that get away gain a few lbs as soon as their free and maybe a couple more as the story gets retold..

Yes many years ago I too lost 2 derby winning fish at the back of the boat, 1 a brown and 1 a laker so i feel the pain of those who claim to do the same.. I dont call em liars..(except jason :lol: )

Fishing should be fun. The purpose of this site is to share information. I use to fish old school and caught fish but it was not untill I started posting on this forum that I got some of the skills that have made me a better fisherman. The statement of hanging dinks is unfair because I am sure these captains are not targeting dinks. 30 years ago a 6 fish day fishing trip was a good day for me. It is not uncommon to have a 30 fish day now with fish averaging 6lbs. Our dink for this weekend was a 16 perch. I'm not sure why the modern trolling thing upsets you. New york state allows us to fish many styles of fishing, trolling, seth green riggs ,pulling copper, live bait, jigging. You pick the style that works for you. These captains work with DEC to keep them informed with the health of the lake. Most do not understand how hard they work to put smiles on the faces of their clients. The name of our boat is Quality time because this is what the time spent fishing with family is . Life is to short to fish angry! Wes

I believe the comment about dinks is absurd - NOBODY TARGETS dinks. What really happened is that these captains are so good they found schools of fish. The smaller fish tend to be more aggressive so they bite quicker. Many times the captains will figure out how to trigger the bigger fish by changing lures, adjusting the depth of their lures or tweeking the speed a bit. If they can't get the bigger fish to go they move on to find bigger schools or bigger fish that are actively feeding. Yes they try to get fish for their clients (to make them happy), but to think they sit on schools of dinks is rediculous when they can go catch big fish for the clients (and make them even more happy! duh!). Believe me these guys know how to catch big fish, they don't just circle around dinks all day - most of them I have fished with wouldn't want to catch dinks for fear of jeopardizing the future catch! They need to protect the fishery to continue to provide their clients with a resource going forward.

Don't be jealous if you hear some guys are catching 30 or 40 fish a day. It happens, I have been on some of the boats where that has taken place. Most of the fish were very good fish too. But it is what you don't hear that you should keep in mind. There are 10X as many boats that are not catching a bunch that won't say anything, cause there's nothing to talk about.

I think all the replies are rather amusing for sure .. i remeber a post several weeks ago a man said it was only his second time fishing seneca and was looking for advise about it a captain from seneca told him IN 4 OR 5 HRS YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD 30 FISH ON HANG IN THEIR IT WILL COME TO YOU !!!!it was amusing for sure as i have fished besides this man on several ocasions for miles on the lake and as of yet have yet to see him boat a fish ... i listened to fellows that acording to the radio and some fellows never went more than 5 minutes a day whithout hooking up realy ???? ohhhh and never less than a 10 pounder on ,come on ....the problem is peaple that dont know any better take all this to heart and then think they cant fish .... ohhh and by the way I have fished seneca for the last 45 years and dont ask for much help it is my job to figure it out that day thats the fun in it be it 20 fish or a skunk and by the way i have more fun watching others real in the fish after they are hooked i like to watch and net :devil::devil::devil:

lf we are going to act like children...MY 2ND PLACE BROWN BEAT YOU :) But l am not like that, l give fair reports and usually boat alot of fish on Seneca, and post my reports.that is what this site is about helping other anglers with what you know, not kicking those who have had a tough day on the water. The "Blue Ghost" has placed 6 out of the last 7 years in the derby but never ridicule, just give my reports

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Mobile%20Device.png

Nice job Blue Ghost :yes: What did that Brown weigh in at? Lots of Big Browns in Seneca but not to many pigs were caught that weekend. The flat water and full sun didn't help. One thing I was happy to see was the amount of Rainbows looks like they are making a come back. :yes: