Seneca Lake Derby

thanks! Weighed in @ 10.19. l have a pic on a previous post "trout derby" We had an unusually slow time picking up lakers so started fishing the browns, landlocks and rainbows. Were on them good Sun. am before the lake laid flat. We had a good 57 degree pocket of water that quickly dissapeared :(

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Mobile%20Device.png

to the blue gost congrats and yes you beet me and many others and to be honst im glad you placed and i am guessing you wernt one on the radio all day long on the radio braging about your big pig fish or the one you just lost at the back of the boat weighing 10 lbs .. to be honest was supprised to place but work our butts off to do it ,,what some mistake for ego on hear and like some we didnt catch 30 or 40 just 9 or 10 a day that were nice fish better luck next year and hope you win it for sure good luck

I beleive "OLD SCHOOL" IS SOMETHING YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT, mr. poke. Because old school is a record player with copper and mutiple sutton spoons which you pull now and then to increase the lure action - but I'm sure that was before your time. Flat lines and planar boards are not old school - just one of the ways we all still use.

As one of those "pros charter captains" I found your report amusing but also insulting, but that was your intention anyways. I'm sure some of the "stories" here are a bit "padded" but there is alot of good info here too. As charter captains we are ALWAYS looking for the trophy fish but the "dinks" are also at the same locations too - If you have a "dink" separator for sale please sell me one.

With this all said congrats on your winning fish and added money to our community. Please come back, spend more money, and please add your postings sooner so all of us so called "pros" know where the big ones are.

Seneca Charters

Captain Paul

I think pokepole waited till he made his 1200 mile trip home before making this post. It is one thing to insult but it is another thing to do it from a far away knowing the possibility of confrontation is slim to none. I too have experienced your posts and you must have a very sad life for I never see anything positive come from you. Oh yeah and my VHF has a new option called on and off switch, it is a wonderful option and I use it frequently. Maybe you should have used yours and prevented all this anger.

dont know about the teath but have noodled catfish in bama does that count .. not as much fun as one would think a 20 lb cat on the end of your hand but much better than a snapper or cotton mouth ;););););) for sure

Gotta tell you I don't understand where this guy is coming from. As a newbie I have recieved nothing but honest help from everyone I've chatted with on this site. Sean (who by the way is a pro) will stand at the launch and give you every detail on how his day was, were he caught fish and what he caught them on. Ben and Wes actually took me with them early on to show me how they put fish in the boat and it was a tournament weekend. Others have given me info while on the water struggling to find fish and off the water when I was trying to figure out equipment and gear for my boat. As for the chatter....give me a break....If you don't like it don't read the posts and last time I checked most radios have a little nob you can turn to shut it off.

old SKOOL is def. where its at....record player and sutons.! u havnt felt a heartbeat untill uve landed a ten lb. laker alone on a handline......talk about heart in ur throat and a sense of sureal gratification when u land it!.....those few seconds after make u feel like the biggest man on the Lake.....in my opinion!.....dont hate if U cant skate.....better yet do better than ten on a handline then try and talk ****!1.

ok lets get this straight i do know old school i was pulling copper and seth green rods before i was 10 and lived on seneca for over 21 years still fish it and have a great time i think the only post worth a dang on hear so far was the one that said fishing and bs go hand in hand .. to those that need to boat fish for a client i am glad you are able to boat alot of fish but just have never been a numbers man //// AS FOR MOWER I WOULD LOVE THE OPERTUNITY TO FISH AGAINST HIM ANY DAY FOR FUN OR CASH .. HIM AND I HAVE DUELLED ON THIS SITE BEFORE AND SHOULD SETTLE IT ON THE WATER I THINK ... a one day derby for 2 boats now thats sport one winner one losser both a good day on the water ,,, dont get your feathers ruffled boys i love to have fun on hear to those i offended im sorry !!!!!! :):):):)

LMAO guess panfisher is right a little nutty but cool in a way avid hunter and fisherman have been for about 45 out of 51 years and some acuse me of being pita ,what a joke .. hope all have a fantastic season and a safe one .. see you next derby with that radio with the little off button ,, and as far as being pita please bite me on that one get rid of all the technoligy and go old school :beer::beer::beer: good fishing to all EVEN MOWER ...

Good thread pokepole39 , learned a lot from the replies on here..... :yes: ..........looking forward to next years thread.......stay safe and have fun........oh you may want to leave the radio on check the LAW but a differnt channel.........

Regulations Requiring Monitoring and Listening to VHF Marine Radios

A charter boat whose radio was not tuned to the proper channel missed a severe storm warning. By the time the captain learned of the storm, it was too late to return to shore. The ship sank and a couple of persons died. A yacht in trouble off the west coast of Mexico and far from help saw a passenger ship. What should have been a quick rescue could have turned to disaster when the passenger ship (improperly) had its radio off. The yacht was able to attract the ship's attention, however, and was rescued. Misunderstanding of passing intentions by approaching vessels and near collisions have repeatedly been averted by working radios tuned to the proper channel.

Who regulates whom?

Three U.S. government agencies, the Federal Communications Commission, the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, and the U.S. Coast Guard; and two international organizations, the International Telecommunications Union and the International Maritime Organization; have each established marine radio watch keeping regulations. Regulations on radio watch keeping exist for all boats and ships --commercial, recreational, government and military, domestic and foreign-- carrying marine radios.

International Telecommunications Union (ITU). ITU regulates all use of radio spectrum by any person or vessel outside U.S. waters. ITU rules affecting radio, which have treaty status in the U.S. and most other nations, are published in the ITU Radio Regulations. The ITU has established three VHF marine radio channels recognized worldwide for safety purposes:

Channel 16 (156.800 MHz) - Distress, safety and calling

Channel 13 (156.650 MHz) - Intership navigation (bridge-to-bridge)

Channel 70 (156.525 MHz) - Digital Selective Calling

International Maritime Organization (IMO). IMO regulates the outfitting and operation of most vessels engaged on international voyages, except warships. Most IMO radio regulations affect all passenger ships and other ships of 300 gross tonnage and upward. IMO rules affecting radio are promulgated in the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) Convention which has been ratified in the U.S.

Federal Communications Commission (FCC) - the FCC regulates all sales, marketing, and, use of radios in the U.S., including those onboard any recreational, commercial, state and local government, and foreign vessel in U.S. territorial waters. These regulations are contained in Title 47, Code of Federal Regulations.

National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) - NTIA regulates all use of radio onboard any federal government vessel, including military vessels. NTIA rules do not apply outside the federal government.

U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) - The USCG regulates carriage of radio on most commercial vessels, foreign vessels in U.S. waters, survival craft, and vessels subject to the Bridge-to-Bridge Act (generally all vessels over 20m length) and operating in a Vessel Traffic Service (VTS) area.

Radio Watchkeeping Regulations

In general, any vessel equipped with a VHF marine radiotelephone (whether voluntarily or required to) must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHz) whenever the radiotelephone is not being used to communicate.

Source: FCC 47 CFR §§ 80.148, 80.310, NTIA Manual 8.2.29.6.c(2)(e), ITU RR 31.17, 33.18, AP13 §25.2