Anyone on here run a blacks stacker release?

For my Stackers I use a Roamer , then attach an Offshore( pinch pad w/ 6" cable and snap) to the metal clip on the arm. When the Roamer hits the pulley on the end of the rigger ,it releases it and it slides down the cable. Been doing it for years w/great results.

Years ago a buddy of mine who was a charter capt. put a crimp on the cable about 10' above the weight. The Black would bee held there by the upward tension on the rod & drop down on the release.

zackblain, I'm one of the few old school guys who stack 2 rods on a single rigger on a regular basis, and I use Blacks releases.

First thing, I have a piece of plainer board line about a foot long, tie a loop on each end, half hitch one end on the 'rigger boom ,then snap the Blacks stacker in the other loop while the ball is up out of the water. You can set the lower release and lower the ball down...... the stacker will stay high and dry as the cable slides through it. See picture below.

You can lock the stacker to the cable with square tooth picks, pushing the tooth pick in from the TOP, then break off the extra. Pinning from the top will allow the the release to free itself when you retrieve the ball, the release will hit the rigger pulley and stop, the cable will pull the tooth pick out of the release hole as it continues to spool up on the rigger. ..... this is the old way.

I now use Scotty auto stop beads to set my stacker. I have a stop bead on the rigger cable 10ft. above the ball. Stacker release rides the cable between the lower release and the stop bead. Set up as above, but no tooth pick. The bend in the rod and the water pressure of moving forward keeps the release tight against the bottom of the stop bead. Once tripped, the release slides down the cable to the ball. You could put the stop bead any distance from the ball I suppose... I do use my beads as a true "auto stop" with my riggers, so a 10 ft. spread works for me.

Just my $.02

Holding stacker up while lowering ball

stacker.jpg

I hate to admit that I'm older school...

Ever hear of Mac-Jac releases? The releases weren't very good but the clips were fantastic. Just clip a clip between the legs of the the Black's release and your all set. Unfortunately they're hard to find nowdays.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

We use the Chaimberlains, for the main releases and the stackers -absolutely awesome. On and off in seconds, and the best part is when you raise the rigger the stackers snap loose and drop to the ball automatically. The double tension adjustment is fantastic also.