Furuno or Sitex?

rolmops

I am in the process of choosing which fish finder to install on my new to me Islander and after having seen on the Spoonfed what the Furuno 582 is capable of there seem to be only 2 choices.Either Furuno or Sitex. My choices are narrowed down to the Furuno 610/620 or the Sitex SVS 650. There's plenty of people on this board with the Furuno 610/620 ,but the Sitex SVS 650 claims to have the same specs as the Furuno, with a bigger screen (like the 582), it also claims to be a lot more user friendly and it is about three hundred dollars cheaper. Does anybody have any experience or heard of opinions with the SVS 650? If so,please give your opinion.

Thanks,Cornelis.

My vote would be for the Furuno. I run the 585 and never seem to see the need to touch it. Great detail w/ thru hull transducer and frequent adjusting is just not required for the detail it provides....

After having a SiTex, Lowrance, Eagle and now the Furuno 585, all I can say is that it is an awesome unit. Absolutely love it. I know that you were not asking about the 585, but I cant help to say how much I like it.

Dumb question, sorry. When you start getting into the high-end fish finders, is it normal to want a separate chart plotter for gps, waypoints, etc...? I looked these models up and considering the prices, was surprised to see that they don't include a transducer and they need to be connected to a separate plotter.

Dumb question, sorry. When you start getting into the high-end fish finders, is it normal to want a separate chart plotter for gps, waypoints, etc...? I looked these models up and considering the prices, was surprised to see that they don't include a transducer and they need to be connected to a separate plotter.

When you get into this expensive stuff you will find that, specially transducers come in many levels of sensitivity. Some transducers are great for bottom view at 1500 feet down and others are really good at 15 feet. Sensitivity of the transducers is probably the most important quality in a fish finder. Having a fish finder and a gps on the same screen is a matter of preference.

I just need to keep on reminding myself that a fish finder does not catch fish,it just helps a bit .

I installed the svs650 with the airmar P66 this spring. So far I am happy with it but It's too soon for me to recomend it over the furuno. I haven't used the furuno but the furuno does seem to have more advanced features. The screen size/resoulotion on the Sitex is great but the auto settings don't seem to work well at all so it needs to be in manual and adjusted regularly for best preformance. If you prefer to set it up and leave it alone the sitex is not for you.

I would be happy to PM my phone # if you have any specific questions.

Hope this helps

Paul

I use a separate Furuno chart plotter, and I like it that way. I do not want to split screen or have to change screens. With the 585 we can set riggers and see the balls and stackers on the screen from 10' back at the stern. Allows us to ignore the half-a$$ counters on the Brutes and see exactly where everything is set.

Just installed a furuno 620 this spring and have to say I like it. Did alot of research and only read 1 complaint and think it was more user error than malfunction. I believe the only difference between the 620 and 585 is screen size. I can mark fish at cruising speeds on the factory settings.

I found the best deal at hodges marine.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

We're upgrading this year and deciding between an hds8 or separate units with an fcv620 and plotter. What transducer are you guys running with the 620? I was thinking a p66 and was wondering how you run your plotter. 50 or 200 or both? I haven't seen one in person but the screen looks like its getting small if you run the split screen. The hds8 looks nice but I think the simplicity of the 620 is more appealing.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

We're upgrading this year and deciding between an hds8 or separate units with an fcv620 and plotter. What transducer are you guys running with the 620? I was thinking a p66 and was wondering how you run your plotter. 50 or 200 or both? I haven't seen one in person but the screen looks like its getting small if you run the split screen. The hds8 looks nice but I think the simplicity of the 620 is more appealing.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

If you have the possibility of taking a through hull then that is the way to go.The p66 is ok but only ok, not great.