Canadaigua Lake Trout jigging Breakthough!!

I promised I would post when I jigged up a Canadaigua laker and here is is. I actually went out this morning to fish for smallies which was a huge failure (anyone wanna PM me about how to catch them on artificials?). Anyway after hitting perch, huge sunnies, and massive pickeral all morning I was frustrated and decided to give laker jigging my second ever concentrated effort. Now let it be known that you who are learning to jig NEED Navionics hotmaps. With that beautiful chip I was able to pinpoint awesome humps that had hooks all over the bottom. Anyway I put on my hand tied marabou laker jig and in an hour I hooked up with five fish!! Sadly I dumped all but one, but still I landed my first jig fish! I would rip the jig five times off the bottom and then reel fast to the boat, one fish slammed the jig on the reel and the rest hit on the rip jigging cadence. And this all happened on one hour in a very snotty south wind. Cannot wait to focus a five hour outing on the structure I found, when the wind cooperates. It should result in lots and lots of hookups!

IMAG0335.jpg

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

IDN,

I am very intrigued by your Success... Congrats... Can you give me a play by play of the weight of your jig or maybe some pics of it... What weight line you used... Also if you are looking for somebody to tag along with you sometime.. I have been planning on jigging Canandaigua for some time just never got to it due to LIFE...... I have purchased 2 nice baitcaster combos that I have boated some nice largemouths with but I really want some lake trout on these set ups..... again Congrats on your Success..... Woody

Sounds like a great day of fishing!! Jigging for lakers opens you up to a whole new attitude about lake trout fishing.... They fight SOOOooo much better when caught still fishing, rather than "draggin' up an old boot", which is what we often think when picking them up in the big O while trying to tell what has hit our trolled baits. I think they really fight hard when picked off the bottom jigging....And U can use bass jigs with tubes and grubtails, too! ;)

Here is another great thing about jigging LT in the Finger Lakes. If you set up your electronics right and cast/ drop your lure so that it will show up on your fish finder, you can watch the LT come off the bottom, head for your visible jig, wait till the two almost meet, start reeling in, watch the LT follow up your jig, and actually know ahead of time when your jig is going to get slammed. How much fun is that? And what other kind of fishing can you do and know ahead of time when you are going to get a strike! And watch nature at work. Too cool.