Beginner needs some advice!!

Name:Steve Hickey

Home Port: Charlotte

Boat Name/Type: Mistress / Starcraft SS 16' Merc 65 OB

I fish for: Mostly Bass in the Adk Mts and now I would like to work on my Genesse River and Lake Ontario fishing opportunities.

==================

I will be taking my boat to the Charlotte launching ramp tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has any advice for trolling up the river to the veterans memorial bridge and then back to the pier.

I have a fish finder and a couple of HD trolling poles. Would there be any browns or lakers still in the river or do I need to head out into the big lake. I would rather stay on the river because I am still testing out my new "used" motor.

Any advice would be most welcome!!

SH

(your welcome message to LOU - anything else you want to say to the community goes here).

100_2527.jpg

SH - Welcome to the site. The Genny is a warm & muddy river. BTs & LTs rare catch up-river. Try trolling in lake 30-60 FOW real early. Lake is in transition right now. Thermocline just beginning to try to set up. In a couple weeks you'll find them 60-100 FOW right on the bottom.

As for the river, there's a deep channel right in the middle. Lots of warm water fish in there. Bass, Pike, walleyes, cats, etc. Remember, if you happen to snag a sturgeon - let it go.

Good luck,

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thank you Longline for the tip.

Today with the intermittent weather today, we decided to prep up the boat for an outing on Wed PM. I will be taking a couple of teacher buddies out and we will probably hit the lake if it is not too rough.

After leaving Charlotte pier, do you have any advice whether we should head west or east to deeper water or is the action pretty much over by the PM. And lastly, what are your favorite trolling lures for conditions this time of year.

Please bare with me, I am am a total beginner when it comes to open lake fishing.

SH

SH - I'd go straight out & get a good idea of the mud line. (Brown turns to green/blue water) Flip a coin & follow it in & out for a while, zig-zag fashion. I'd get one flasher fly combo down plus a couple clean spoons - one close & 1 way back. Cloudy - I'd try purples, blacks, reds, golds, Clear sky - I'd brighten things up a bit - silver/blk, whites, bright greens, etc

Good luck,

Tom B.

(LongLine)

My wife and I walked the trail from Turning Point north to the bridge and back on Saturday. I used to run that whole area 35 years ago when my grandmother lived on the hill (River Heights). We saw the dock area spotted with porches, pavilions and tiki thatch and I wondered - do the fishing boats tend to group together? Looked like a cross between the tailgate section at a NFL game and Margaritaville down there...