Poll:Would you release a 10-14 lb Walleye from Eastern L.O ?

BP Swing

Keep or release a 10-14 lb walleye?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Keep or release a 10-14 lb walleye?

• Keep it
    • release it

One of the best known charter guys on Henderson preaches releasing the big female walleyes and keeping the smaller ones to eat and I totally agree with him in theory yet time after time in various publications he has "hero" shots at the dock of huge walleye he and his customers have kept. Some 12-13 lbs.ish. If they want a mount, reproduction mounts look just as good or better as the skin mounts. What would you do if you got a huge one or have already got a huge female walleye in eastern Lake Ontario ?

One of the best known charter guys on Henderson preaches releasing the big female walleyes and keeping the smaller ones to eat and I totally agree with him in theory yet time after time in various publications he has "hero" shots at the dock of huge walleye he and his customers have kept. Some 12-13 lbs.ish. If they want a mount, reproduction mounts look just as good or better as the skin mounts. What would you do if you got a huge one or have already got a huge female walleye in eastern Lake Ontario ?

BP

I noticed that also and it's a bit upsetting fankly. For walleyes anywhere I release anything over 20in. It would be nice to see the Charter Boats practicing what they preach, especially since the population decline from Zebra's.

Thanks fellas but I think I'll allow the NYS DEC fishing regulations guide determine what fish I, or others, ought or ought not keep. Especially if a few hundred dollars are being dropped on a charter. Regulations are crafted based on results of very comprehensive studies with a keen eye on preserving future fisheries. Of course, I'm free to lobby for a slot limit if I'm concerned about what others are keeping.

Any fisherman can decide for himself what to keep vs. what to release, within the state regs. A charter captain is running a business, first and foremost - let them.

Yep, its up to the individual fisherman.

We released a 14.6 walleye outta quinte a couple of winters back. Just about all of our +10 fish go back. Will keep a dink (4+ or so) for the fryer. Heck we release a lot of fish ontario and erie. But its my choice.

The 14.6 replica sits on the wall. :clap: Great leasson for the 11 year old.

Yep, its up to the individual fisherman.

We released a 14.6 walleye outta quinte a couple of winters back. Just about all of our +10 fish go back. Will keep a dink (4+ or so) for the fryer. Heck we release a lot of fish ontario and erie. But its my choice.

The 14.6 replica sits on the wall. :clap: Great leasson for the 11 year old.

:yes: to you Mark :beer:

I did not cast a vote but my opinion flatly put is let them go unless you are going to mount it. I caught a 30in 10lb walleye this past December. I was so excited. The biggest I caught before that was 2ft. I kept the fish thinking I was going to have it mounted and then changed my mind later. I decided to hold out for a 14lber. I got three good meals out of her but my overall impression is that she didn't taste nearly as good as the 2-3lbers that I normally eat. My lasting impression was when filletting her and seeing the large volume of eggs that she was carrying. I let them go now. I want to find someone that I can trust to do repos so when I catch the big one for the wall... I can let her go too. To me it seems you let that one go too so you have more eaters for the future. With all that being said. It is up to each person to decide what they want to do. Everybody makes some impact on the fishery and should be responsible for that, however, if rules are followed, who is promoted to judge to cast opinions on someone else. BTW, last month while striper fishing, the big females went back. We kept the 30 and under for meat.

Not voting but I like bosco's thought the most. With the old timey ideas of endless stringer shots and the short sited view that nothing can be depleted and no one need care about anything but taking for themselves whatever they could get, steadily changing over to more considerate behavior....I do believe the walleye and all fisheries R getting better and we need to keep working on improving the fun for all.....including for those fish that make it fun. (That means eating and the occasional trophy, if wanted, too.)

The commercial fishing industry targets small walleyes and perch for health and safety reasons and you should also if you are feeding your family and friends. Accumalated toxins and bones stuck in airways are reasons to stay away from the bigger fish.

Walleyes over 23 inches are almost too large for feeding your family. Male walleyes rarely grow larger than 25 inches, those that are larger are most likely females that could be good breeders. Education and attitude changes are all we need to face these conditions. We do not need anymore laws in New York State as our books are too full now.

ok ill bite...for my 1st 40 yrs of fishing i always told myself a 10lber gets mounted...2 yrs ago i caught 3 in 1 day in jan on BOQ...SO I MOVED IT UP TO 12LBS....if and when that day happens that i land such a fish 30 pixs will be taken and i shall get a repo.....any fish over 23in has so much mercury in it why bother?????and if that wasnt bad enough they taste like old shoe.....the brown fat lines are gross.and after you cut that away whats left??????bout an 18in eye worth of meat if your good with the blade!!.the only reason i know is i cleaned a 12lber for a novice cause he wanted to eat it after pixs....worst tasting fish.......if more guys would just keep the males and let the girls go!!!one last thing.why if the charter captains make their livin off of the fish why not petition the dec to make a slot limit..1 fish over 24...5 under.....they sure did listen when the captains wanted all the steelheads,and left the stream fisherman high and dry????and so long 4 now;john

I would support a slot limit. Bass, walleye, pike

I looked into a trip to Canada this spring, but it looked as though the fishing restrictions were more strict than NY so I bailed. Even historically rich fisheries can be damaged. Their advice was to take a picture (some measurements) of the trophy and get a replica. My response was, I'll keep my money in NY. It can be challenging catching walleye out of the rivers near Corning, but I can do it for a lot less investment of time and money. Just my two cents.

I also believe it is an individual decision as long as one remains within their legal limit. That said, I fish the BOQ in the fall and the St Lawrence, Henderson and Oswego. We choose to release nearly all fish over about 24". We catch many over 30" and almost all are returned. I also prefer to eat the smaller fish as they are much better to eat and contain less toxins. I support letting the breeders go but am not oppose to someone keeping a trophy for the wall. Legal policies are formulated by the DEC and politicians but ethical decisions are made by individuals. I'm not sure what I'd do myself if I hit one 14 or 15lbs.

I agree BSmaster, Canada is tough the lake limit is sometimes not what the prov. is, usually 2 fish less, that's why we said the hell with Canada and keep our money here in the states(Ohio&NewYork) But what I would like to see is more of the 75$ I pay for a licence go towards more walleye conservation, like a slot or more stocking, I fish the western basin of erie every spring and there is no place like it for walleye, there is no reason L.O. couldn't be the same. In the 80's it was much better than it is now, what happened? I hear stories about a farm that flooded out and put a lot of manure in the water (black river bay) I rember as a kid filling a legal ticket on opening day, How many can say that now a day's Just drifting around the red & green bouys. Then I hear about the gill netters (mid 90's) in the bay area somplace? Just seems to me it's time to make a move if you are a walleye fisherperson, Let's be heard, the trout guys made thier point!!! LORD have mercy if a salmon has a mark or a decline in population. then we hear about it!!! AM I right or WRONG!!

Just a example we had 8 guys leave the dock (ERIE) at 6am back at 11am with 8 full tickets 48 walleye in 5 hours. With all the structure and reefs and rocks in L.O. there is no reason L.O. can't be half as good as erie. Just my 2 cents, Love to fish for the eyes

Regulations are crafted based on results of very comprehensive studies with a keen eye on preserving future fisheries. Of course, I'm free to lobby for a slot limit if I'm concerned about what others are keeping.

Just becuase the regs state something, doesn't mean that is indeed the optimal approach. thinking that the regulations are all based in good, up to date science is far from the truth.

Many (most??) of the regs are:

-very old and outdated and at a time of less refined angling techniques and technology and potentially even fewer fisherman than today. So catch rates used in the calculations are often no longer valid.

-based on the conventional wisdom of the days that they were last updated for strategies on how best to manage fisheries

-based on imperfect science (it takes a LOT of $$ to improve the studies and the statistics used to make these decisions, but budgets get CUT continuously), so its difficult to get the data needed to substantiate changes now and in the future

-fisheries change (think zebra mussles and gobies etc) see above point

-rather difficult to get updated due to opposition from those short sighted individuals who see increased restrictions limiting their opportunity to take home their catch, vs the longer term objective of improving the health of the fishery and actually increasing their odds of catching keepers in the future

So no, I would say the regs are far from the end all be all, and by no means anything close to gospel. Personally I believe that there should be an opportunity for people to eat a large fish or get a skin mount if they want (I'm for repros and smaller better tasting eaters, myself) but it needs to be more balanced, like a slot limit with one over XX inches.

In regards to the charter capt in the original post, there are plenty of capts who state their rules of the boat upfront and lots of people look for those types of conservation minded captains. But to say one thing and do another, that's hypocrisy. Wonder what other ethical and moral issues lie beneath the surface???

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Im the one who started this post so now I'm going to give my opinion. I feel anybody who keeps a big breeder female Walleye that big is only being selfish. They are cheating the fishery as a whole by not allowing those big breeders to spawn or to reproduce again if they are spawned out.

They are in the process cheating other fisherman who may at some point not catch any walleyes that they may have caught had the big breeders been released. Since the state does not care about Walleye stockings in most places (see trout & Salmon stockings) like they should, it is up to the conservation minded fishermen to take it upon themselves to do the right thing. Anybody who wants to eat a 12 lb Walleye needs to know that the 3-4 lbers taste a whole lot better. As far as being within the legal limits cause you paid $29 bucks for a license, thats BS. Does the DEC get everything right? hardly. Seriously....Do the right thing. It's one thing for a weekend guy to keep a once in a lifetime fish and something else when a charter guy does it on a continual basis. What is there not to understand about the importance of catch and release? Its 2012 remember?

Regulations for Walleye on Honeoye have changed twice since I've been fishing there and statewide limits were put on Perch not too long ago as well. They're reviewed regularly and in most cases changes are deemed unecessary. But regardless of that, if a person ponys up for a NYS anglilng license and they fish within the regulations then it's none of my business what they keep even if they're keeping limits of 10-14 lb Walleyes to bury in their garden for fertilizer. Again, one could lobby for a slot limit if it's a concern.

Regulations for Walleye on Honeoye have changed twice since I've been fishing there and statewide limits were put on Perch not too long ago as well. They're reviewed regularly and in most cases changes are deemed unecessary. But regardless of that, if a person ponys up for a NYS anglilng license and they fish within the regulations then it's none of my business what they keep even if they're keeping limits of 10-14 lb Walleyes to bury in their garden for fertilizer. Again, one could lobby for a slot limit if it's a concern.

Bosco, Just so you know, there have been slot limits currently and in the past on lakers for LO and there have been graveyards found of filleted lakers up north above Jefferson county. I'm not disagreeing with you, but if there is a slot limit then all fish should come back to the docks intact and all filleted fish should be assumed in the slot and 2 fines should be issued, unlawful carcass disposal and undersized/slot sized fish were kept.

Landshark....you're the man!! Awesome and released too so there are more for future generations. You see that Bosco, hes the definition of a true sportsman.

The DEC closes fishing in many streams with finite choking points to all fishing during walleye's closed season to enable them to spawn. They add new places every year. I am sure that they won't close the ones in LO. Can you imagine the uproar from the Steelhead fisherman if they closed Oswego for 6 weeks?

I can keep 5 walleye over 15 inches from Chemung river in Corning. If I travel upstream to PA, I can keep 6 walleye over 15in. If I go north I can only keep three (usually 18in). I have never kept a days limit before. Like I said before, fishing them in Corning is challenging. I am happy to get one. Not many people fish them here because of that.

I don't foresee the DEC or PFBC changing anything. Best thing for them to change would be a slot limit but I don't see that happening anytime too soon. Another thing for them to help walleye numbers would be to let up on Tigers/musky stocking but that would be another can of worms (doubt it). I really don't see an issue for immediate attention. big walleye get big for a reason.

I'm impressed that Landshark caught 34 over 10lbs. I think it is admirable that he released them (how many did you keep?). I know people that do the same thing down in the southern tier. But they didn't always. I personally, will be releasing the cows and keeping the eaters AND I will also refuse to judge anyone who is following the rules outlined in the regulation guide. I don't even know what is upsetting me about this discussion. Perhaps Its this concept of sportsman - The fly guy hates the spey guy who hates the pinning guy who hates the bottom bouncing guy who just wants to be left alone so he can catch a (any) fish to impress his loved ones. Its like the self righteousness that stirs up every fall in the streams. This is why I prefer to fish away from everyone.

If you catch a walleye over 10lbs and let it go unharmed - good for you. :yes: Thank you.

If you catch a walleye over 10lbs and eat it - your choice, but we told you it wouldn't taste as good. Next time consider letting it go. I Thank you. Someone may even call you a role model. :yes:

BSmaster- Ha ha haaa! Well stated. Say, you ever work that "creek" running between Canisteo and Addison for 'eyes? There used to be a very good population of them in there (plenty of small ones and an occasional lunker-3-6lbs.) We'd catch them going for the bass and were usually surprised, as they would readily pick up grub tailed jigs or minnow baits....

BSmaster- Ha ha haaa! Well stated. Say, you ever work that "creek" running between Canisteo and Addison for 'eyes? There used to be a very good population of them in there (plenty of small ones and an occasional lunker-3-6lbs.) We'd catch them going for the bass and were usually surprised, as they would readily pick up grub tailed jigs or minnow baits....

panfisher, that is where my 10lber came from. (I catch more from the other river-Lindley) We fished hard all day and kept moving. It is the only eye we caught that day. We did have a pretty good time catching smallies while we were trying. The biggest secret to that stream is finding them and in a biting mood.

The state record for a long time was held in Chemung river. A lot of that gets lost nowadays with all of the pics coming from eastern basin of Lake O and Lake Erie. Now, I believe the PA and NY records are in Alleghany resevoir and that fishery stands to get even better after the Reservation puts in their walleye hatchery. My point being that is that Southern tier has a lot to offer, albeit challenging river walleye fishing. The west delware branch, the upper susquehanna river shed and the upper alleghany river shed, and even the Genny (below Belmont Dam). Some of it better than others and access is limited, but the fish are there. I am not big into trolling so fishing the rivers vs the lakes is more appealing to me. Trollers probably feel the opposite. Either way, the fish are there and the challenge is catching them. Best way to do that is understand them and that is sometimes harder than it seems. It is still good times no matter how you look at it.

BSmaster, ....Seriously? 10lbs? Honestly it doesn't surprise me though. I like that beautiful and perfectly sized waterway. not too big, but big enough for some decent float fishing and some ok access from shore in some spots with some wading....The 'eyes there seem to like the whirlpool eddys and turns and stucture where U find that. Time of year also seems to make a difference. We have caught bunches of just slightly less than to just over legal size ones in places where they are not to be found at other times. Almost always some obliging smallies or largemouths ready to keep U occupied in the meantime. :)